Author Topic: Results of My First Large Group Ride  (Read 2595 times)

Syl

• View Profile
Results of My First Large Group Ride
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
At the meeting place 9 AM, there were over 200 bikes ready to go. We were broken up into groups and hit the roads. Self and friend only two visible scooters stayed together and had no problems in keeping up. 55 to 65 mph was no problem at all keeping in position. Some speeds exceeded those in the areas of passing were no problem also. This being my first sustained high speed was a bit concerning at first but shortly became easy to handle. I didn't wear my gloves being I found my hands were getting too warm and sort of falling asleep! Wore My helmet with the pull down shade and clear pull down face guard which I found was a must. It was a very hot sunny bright day and the bugs beat up the face mask! Some of them sounded like rocks striking. The run was called a "Poker Run", "Ride for Homeless Vets" ending up at 117 miles and it took 2 gallons of gas giving to 60 mpg with 600 miles on the unit. I'm glad I had the oil and filter change before the ride, seemed to run much smoother. Heat gauge stayed exactly the same during the entire trip at about mid-gauge. Got scared once going around a right curve when I went too close to the middle and got into a tarred section of the highway which divides the pavement at 55 mph. Sort of froze up at first and than started thinking how to get out of this, slowing down a bit and hoping to find a smooth tarred section to get over to the right before meeting any on coming traffic. This was my first big learning experience in hitting the big roads and I didn't feel belittled with all the big bikes...The X500 stood up to all!

Syl

• View Profile
Re: Results of My First Large Group Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
A very small section of the group of more than 200!

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »
And than, this is the guy that is doing all the talking!

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 01:49:17 PM »
If u are new to bikes, I would suggest you ride country back roads until u get the hang of it. Learn to counter steer, and ride on the freeways a little to get used to them also, (this way you will learn how to handle high winds & such). Look around at some independant shop's or Google Grand Touring Motorcycle Grip's. These are much thicker grip's than stock. More easy to grip, and your hands will not go to sleep anymore. I have used them on all bikes for last 30 years. They also do not slip when your hands swet. A Givi wind shield will stop the bug's, wind, rain, Mac trucks and so on. :-*

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
And than, this is the guy that is doing all the talking!

:D

Nice one!
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:16 AM »
Very nice! ;)

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:07 AM »
The ride was my great learning experience and looking forward to more now. It also gave me more courage in going out on long trips on my own. Hey, I am not scared of my shadow...it's just riding with another gives you the feeling of a back-up in various possible conditions especially when you are not a long time rider yet. Of course this Forum is just great to learn and get advice from many others. Thanks for the "nice" comments.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
I ride in a large group everyday.... motorcycle traffic... ;D ;D ;D

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 10:25:39 AM »
Is this highway traffic, city traffic or both? With all that everyday ride, I bet you are able to balance very well at stop areas without putting a leg or legs down....I know I am getting better! I am getting better at going around corners also, I lay off the left brake after slowing, grasp the left handle firmly and rely on the right handle for brake and throttle if needed. I have much more control now doing this and feel more secure going around corners.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
Read up on how to counter stear, where you push forward on the handle bars to lean in a corner. Maybe someone has something on you tube? :-*

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
If he's riding, he's countersteering already.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
Read up on how to counter stear, where you push forward on the handle bars to lean in a corner. Maybe someone has something on you tube? :-*
No need for you tube. Do it once and the rest is history..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()