Author Topic: non starter  (Read 1304 times)

lennyleonard

• View Profile
non starter
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
hi today my partners 125 super8 came to a halt .. it was recovered home ... i have fitted a new battery  and when trying to start the starter cellonoid clicks ... the kick starter will not operate as if its ceased the bike is 4yrs old and has done 7000km also the engine has adequate oil... where would be my best first port off call engine or gearbox ?? ... cheers lenny

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: non starter
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
hi today my partners 125 super8 came to a halt .. it was recovered home ... i have fitted a new battery  and when trying to start the starter cellonoid clicks ... the kick starter will not operate as if its ceased the bike is 4yrs old and has done 7000km also the engine has adequate oil... where would be my best first port off call engine or gearbox ?? ... cheers lenny

If you take off the cvt cover you can clean up the kick starter with some spray cleaner and get that working. That way you can tell if its starting or not and narrow it down to the starting system?

Did it just suddenly cut out?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »
Also see if youre getting a spark off the plug.

Just in case youre not sure how to check it..........

:)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:53:49 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »
You very seldom use the scoot? Kick start seized, 4 years and just 7000 on the odo.  My S8 is 10 months and 8,000+ on the odo.  Just want to know how the scoot was used.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
You very seldom use the scoot? Kick start seized, 4 years and just 7000 on the odo.  My S8 is 10 months and 8,000+ on the odo.  Just want to know how the scoot was used.

My A50 kickstart siezes up every so often just thro belt dust and general dust etc coming in thro the cvt vent.

A quick clean up and oil of the spring and its good as new again.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 02:44:52 AM »
A quick clean up and oil of the spring and its good as new again.

..this should be a part of your routine maintenance..

..that kick can get you home...

..aannnd, even if you use it regularly, or never at all, the residue builds up just the same, and if not cleaned and lubed, it will seize and can cause the aluminum guides to break..

..then you gotta buy a new cvt cover, if you want it to work at all....

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »
Even if the tranny died the cvt would still spin allowing the engine to start. Since you have to pull the cvt cover to check it out... you will find the kick start problem easily. Check all the wiring to the starter/battery. It may be an electrical issue that caused it to die in the first place.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()