Author Topic: New to forum, need help with headlight problem  (Read 5846 times)

Ryder

• View Profile
Re: New to forum, need help with headlight problem
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 03:16:53 AM »
To reiterate the previous link, This is the Light Control Box or module of the super 8. This is responsible for the dimming of the light. What you can do is by-pass this module so there will be no more dimming.
Just remove the plug and insert wires from the output to the input.  Very easy.

Thank you, Vivo.
But, my understanding is that if I do that, the battery will constantly be going dead. This is what I was told by the previous owner, and also by the mechanic who services Kymco bikes in town here. They both told me that the 2009 Super 8 150, which is the one I have, was originally made without that relay, and it caused poor battery performance. They told me there was a recall on the bikes, to add the relay so that the batteries would work. Is this not true?
Thank you
Ryder

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
Swap out the bulbs for these  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pc-White-25-SMD-SMT-H3-LED-Driving-Fog-Light-Bulbs-/280882037086?hash=item4165dfc15e&item=280882037086&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr  Problem solved

If I simply swap out the bulbs, it will not help. These bulbs will dim down to almost nothing just the same as the ones that I have, whenever the engine is not running at a certain RPM.  When the bike is in idle, as I need to be, going down a very steep and very curvy hill, the headlight dims. This is caused by a relay on the battery and it does this in order to save the battery life. Without that, the battery only lasts a few weeks. So changing the bulbs won't actually help.
thanks, though.
Ryder

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 06:51:14 PM »
How about these ? NEBO REDLINE® Tactical LED Flashlight with Handlebar Mount

sentinex

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
Thank you, Vivo.
But, my understanding is that if I do that, the battery will constantly be going dead. This is what I was told by the previous owner, and also by the mechanic who services Kymco bikes in town here. They both told me that the 2009 Super 8 150, which is the one I have, was originally made without that relay, and it caused poor battery performance. They told me there was a recall on the bikes, to add the relay so that the batteries would work. Is this not true?
Thank you
Ryder

Your battery will constantly go dead but what if you use a battery tender often? I haven't done anything to my bike, but since the dealer installed a battery tender plug, I plug it in om my bike every week. This could be a poor's mas solution. Battery tenders are not that expensive and installing the plug is not complicated at all.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
In our local Super 8 clubs and forums, nobody has experienced a dead battery after the headlight ecu by-pass. I don't know if one has really experienced a dead battery other than opinions of some.

I also don't know about the recall thing. If the recall was true, then why did they not improve on the charging system instead. And if the recall was true, why did they continue the LCU for the 2011 and 2012 models?

But my personal solution is the led projector fog light that I made. I will also change the tail light into LED because the stock bulb is 25 watts. Quite high, I think.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()