Author Topic: Good day gone wrong...(with pictures!!!)  (Read 6897 times)

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
Good day gone wrong...(with pictures!!!)
« on: June 14, 2012, 01:07:24 AM »
So today I took my CVT apart to give it a good cleaning and put it back together then went for a ride. About halfway around the block I heard a horrible noise, shut it off and wheeled it back home and took the CVT cover off immediately. Below are one or two pics of what I found.

Does the damage look horrible or should I still be good? When I put the variator and stuff back on the teeth all still line up perfectly with almost no play when I rock the drive plate, or whatever it's called back and forth. Seems to me like it just kinda scuffed the metal real good and didn't take too much metal with it, but let me know what you guy's think.

I did realize when I was putting the whole variator assembly back on and went to put the belt back on over the boss there was almost no slack and had to squeeze the belt down into the clutch to slide it back on, it was a real struggle. Then when I slid the plate on that goes on after the belt (the one with the fan thing that goes over it, then the washer and bolt) it didn't seem like it was sitting flush. It seemed like the belt was in the way and stopped it from tightening down onto the boss drive. I just tightened it as much as possible and hoped it pushed the belt out of the way a little and sat flush and snug. It didn't and this is what happened.

So my real question is why did this happen? Why couldn't I tighten the plate down all the way, why was the belt in the way?
I'm really freaking out so I would appreciate if my fellow Kymco pals would look this over and give me their diagnosis. ;)
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

Kenho21

• View Profile
Re: Good day gone wrong...(with pictures!!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:07:55 AM »
Another
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »
and another...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:02 AM »
...the damage is not extreme...i've seen MUCH worse...you will probably be okay, bro...

..clean away all the shavings!!!

..i always squeeze my clutch, while pushing the belt inward toward its center, FIRST!, before putting clutch on its shaft, thus creating belt slack at the variator's drive center...

..in other words, i install clutch and belt at same time, with variator already in place..

..what happened to you was, you tightened the variator nut to the belt's width...

..always rotate your drive face assembly a cpl-3 times during the tightening of the nut, making sure there is no "wobble"..

..tighten lightly at first, until wobble is gone, then torque it down real good....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:50:47 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:56:02 AM »
...annnd, i just remembered, belts can be installed in an a50 without removing clutch...

..in that case, just squeeze the clutch and install belt deep into the pulleys, then you will have much clearance at the variator's drive centre...

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 02:32:39 AM »
Thanks a lot Word! I knew I could count on ya!

I took it all apart cuz I wanted to sand the clutch bell and all the surfaces down because I was having a little slippage

I was sh**tin bricks for a while, I had a feeling I was overreacting but feared for the worst I guess.

I'll put her back together (correctly) tomorrow and be screaming down the road!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 02:55:22 AM »
..wecc'm!..

;D

..dang..i've overlooked things before...when assembling...

..forgot the drive face once..closed the cvt case, fired the engine....well, tried to fire the engine..

:P.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »
It wouldn't hurt to get a shim/speed kit. You can move the plate out into clean teeth, and it can't hurt your performance
http://www.racingplanetusa.com/variator-control-shims-naraku-speedup-gy6kymco-p-21863-1.html?cPath=2_122_586&sessID=222d9adf2af151e5416a9778e94238f5  It will survive.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 03:01:19 AM »
..i got a set of those, but with a boss as well..i experiment a lot...

;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:03:35 AM by wordslinger »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:52 AM »
I have some coming just to make the free shipping, and for cases just as this!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:16 AM »
I've never seen those before, hopefully I can find some in the US. But I'll definitely get some. They just act as sort or an extension of the drive boss and sit up against it?

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 04:19:43 AM »
And yea, it perturbs me that, that's one of the first things I ever did when I got the scooter was install rollers and did it correctly  and since then I've torn the whole engine apart and installed a BBK but somehow messed this up the second time round... but breakin stuff is usually a part of fix in stuff hahaha

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 06:33:52 AM »
What are the proper steps for putting the clutch, variator and belt back on?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
I always put the outer variator on then hand tighten the nut up as far as i can with a wrench. Then i pinch the belt together in the middle of the cvt to draw it into the rear pulley and give me belt slack. This means it sits higher up the variator and wont get jammed when i torque up the variator nut. Once its all tightened up i spin the belt by hand to make sure its free and can move and isnt jammed at the boss or anywhere.

Like Z and Word said already, if the nut torques up and its all tight etc then it should be fine, the spline damave looks minimal in the photos to me.

Lesson learned i guess, at least it wasnt a costly one. I did almost the same a few weeks ago when i didnt fit a washer and my variator nut came loose after 200yds, that was a close call too but fine in the end.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »
Thanks guys, will do that today for sure.

Those 12v electric impacts are kinda scary, it feels like they has about as such force as my six year old sister with steel toes on.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()