Author Topic: Scarborough Shoals  (Read 7917 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Scarborough Shoals
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
Our country has been exercising effective jurisdiction over this area ever since. Now the Chinese wants it. They claim this belongs to the Chinese.  The Scarborough shoal is a very rich fishing ground and full of endangered species.  Many Chinese fishing vessels were intercepted by our coast guard and others were fishing endangered marine life from these shoals. Now the Chinese government steps in and is claiming the area. The Chinese had been harassing us by flying jet fighters inside Philippine territory, showing their war ships, making threatening comments on radio, hacking Philippine Websites, etc.

China is becoming a super power and I don't know what leverage our country has.  A month ago, a shipload of bananas from the Phils to China was dumped in the ocean because they claim they were not good and banned bananas from the Phils. China is our number 1 banana customer.  The ban lasted for a few days and they said they will now allow Phil. bananas.  This was just a show of their capability and nothing more. 

I know this is not a problem of your countries but this is a nice topic, right? Shall we just give in to the Chinese? We don't have war ships or jet fighters.. Shall we call Uncle Sam? ... Again?  Will Uncle Sam give a damn? 

The shoal is 530 miles from China.
It's 138 miles from the Phils.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 08:28:19 AM by Vivo »

axy

• View Profile
Re: Scarborough Shoals
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 04:56:10 PM »
The shoal is 530 miles from China.
It's 138 miles from the Phils.

Remember Falklands, UK and Argentina.
Distance is not important, power is.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »
The Falklands is NEVER British, in fact i dont even call them the Falklands anymore, its the Maldives  :)

How the hell the English think they can call an island off South America british just shows how ridiculous and selfish they are. We never heard nothing about those islands since the "war", course once oil was found it all suddenly became a major issue again.......

The Argentinian pres is going thro the UN i believe to try get the land back, good luck, hope she wins the support.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
Chinese aggression was never an issue when Clark Field and Subic Bay were operational.

Of course, the Chinese were limited in their capabilities at the time, but now they are undeterred. Sorry about that.

Who knew there was ever a benefit from an association with the US and A.

Maybe Scotland can help. At the very least they could offer a sincere expression of indignant disapproval.

We have a special affinity for the Phillipines here in New Mexico, ever since the New Mexico National Guard was sent for garrison duty before the war with Japan because of their Spanish heritage.

They were the men who marched to Battaan after being betrayed by surrender. They wanted to fight to the last man, but then they lost 680 on the march, and the Filipinos lost over 10,000 to the cruelty of their captors. I saw an interview of 3 of the survivors on local TV last week, it was kinda hard to watch when they talked about what it was like.

C'est la vie
C'est la guerre
C'est la dirty stinky underwear
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:34:01 PM »
China is out of control. I mean that in a "Bully just found his muscles kinda" way. The only action that gets attention any more is force. The US won't do anything to help because China now owns more of the US than it's citizens. I never think of th Philippines as an aggressor on the world stage so I would believe an alliance with another country. Perhaps India? Japan is out as they are much worse than China when it comes to illegal fishing.
Why not treat these issues like everyday people would... Stop selling everything to China. Boycot them! Sell for half the price to anyone else just not China. The US dollar built chinas economy into a world power, and now the results are being seen. Treat them like the bullies they are developing into.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
China is out of control. I mean that in a "Bully just found his muscles kinda" way. The only action that gets attention any more is force. The US won't do anything to help because China now owns more of the US than it's citizens. I never think of th Philippines as an aggressor on the world stage so I would believe an alliance with another country. Perhaps India? Japan is out as they are much worse than China when it comes to illegal fishing.
Why not treat these issues like everyday people would... Stop selling everything to China. Boycot them! Sell for half the price to anyone else just not China. The US dollar built chinas economy into a world power, and now the results are being seen. Treat them like the bullies they are developing into.

This "right now" is small potatoes for the US and even China, however I don't trust either country to handle this above board. I can see this or any similar situation being manipulated into an all out war.

Let's look at it this way, China invades Philippines fishing grounds, the Philippines gets upset over this and places sanctions against China and maybe even disrupts the China fishing fleet. China strikes back in some form or fashion and then the US comes to the defense of the Philippines, first via diplomatic ways then with might. A war breaks out as a way of turning our economy around and establishing our dominance throughout the world once again.

Don't say it can't happen.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
Chinese J-20, a Raptor F-22 copy. Maybe just like the Chinese scoots. Piece of junk.

They may have the arms but don't have any AIR WARFARE EXPERIENCE.

Again, a "bully just found his muscles" thing...

We have the old n' reliable F-16 and some Tora-tora WWII planes.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 04:46:55 AM »
Even if that China sh** copy plane fell out of the sky it would destroy 3/4 of the Philli. Air Force. Like the Italian Navy... Glass bottoms to pay homage to the prior ships.

Ok bad jokes... The Japanese have recently abandoned the Antarctic fishing grounds as political pressure built. Perhaps a similar scenario will play out there. There is NO WAY one country can take over another's near shore fishing grounds. It may be for the short term, but as 008 pointed out it COULD lead to an economic melt down, or war in the end.

Elect me Pres. and I will send China to it's room for 72hrs, and Everyone from Jersey will be allowed to leave before I have it bull dozed under. That should fix that.   
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:49:31 AM »
I want to live in Naga! So make the Chink's go away.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 05:32:11 AM »
Hmmm..Naga.. home of pili nuts

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 05:45:45 AM »
Egg zactlee! Sitting at the bar with an umbrella drink, beautiful women in coconut bras, scooters growing from the volcanic soil, and a bowl of pills to chew on from the bar. What could be better than that! Ahhhhh my future home sweet home...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
Mayon volcano with its perfect cone seen from Naga.....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 05:53:04 AM »
Just have to pull off one more big bank job, and I'm on my way... OOOPPPPSSSS!!! Un post!!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 05:56:45 AM »
I've been reading a bit, and it does appear that you live in a small corner of heaven. Generally speaking tho it is more heavenly for "locals" than immigrants. That is really of no bother to me tho. After all I'm a Yank living in the middle of the Red Neck Rivera. And with a bowl of pills on the bar... Who cares!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 06:02:13 AM »
I've been reading a bit, and it does appear that you live in a small corner of heaven. Generally speaking tho it is more heavenly for "locals" than immigrants. That is really of no bother to me tho. After all I'm a Yank living in the middle of the Red Neck Rivera. And with a bowl of pills on the bar... Who cares!

Lots of immigrants here mostly retirees. They just deposit retirement money with the banks there in the US, live here, withdraw their monthly interest thru wire, spend it here and enjoy... fly back to the states for some things, then back to the islands.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()