Author Topic: Chinese scooters  (Read 12863 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese scooters
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »
Like southern hospitality... Good luck with that one too.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 03:24:49 AM »
Back to Chinese bikes!

Passed by a dealer earlier.  This 155 water-cooled motard really is very tempting at 65,000 pesos
                                                     (around $1,500.00)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:43:58 AM by Vivo »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 03:36:31 AM »
It is enticing but I've beaten the tar out of some dirt bikes. I can't see that one lasting thru a day.
I'd get a ten year old Maico, or KTM before a new china dirt bike.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
Yeah... I just looked back at the bike. It would be a pile of crappy pieces in an hour.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 03:50:07 AM »
It is enticing but I've beaten the tar out of some dirt bikes. I can't see that one lasting thru a day.
I'd get a ten year old Maico, or KTM before a new china dirt bike.

I think its meant for daily commuting in "style"...  ;D ;D ;D 

I've seen some on the road and it's fast though. It's a notch up from a 125 or 150 underbone for less the price. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 03:56:31 AM »
Get a kz400
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Other-Kawasaki-KZ400-Cafe-Racer-custom-sheet-metal-/170859005751?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item27c7fd8737
Buy one for 200.00 used, put 700.00 into it, and buy your wife a new scooter with the rest.
That's a bad a$$ looking bike!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:33 AM »
 :o :o :o

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »
1968 Zundapp 250cc ISDT enduro  3o hp 2stroke 14in of fork travel! BOOM
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
That's just plain awesome, Vivo, I'll bet it'll do 130 kilometers an hour right outta the box. You should get it, it's got way sick modern style.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »
That's just plain awesome, Vivo, I'll bet it'll do 130 kilometers an hour right outta the box. You should get it, it's got way sick modern style.
Yup!  I still need to read reviews in our local motorcycle forums about this new bike. A lot of chinese scoots/bikes here get good reviews. Two most common problems of Chinese bikes are: yellowing of headlight lens, tail light lens and instrumentation/gauge clear lens and rust because of poor quality chrome and paint. Build quality and engine/engine performance are not problem areas. They even beat hondas an yamahas on the track or come a close second.

KentonLynne

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
My introduction to scooters was a Chinese 150cc bought on the Internet for $999 delivered (RoadRunner Classic).   I bought it because my two kids were home for the summer, each had jobs for which they needed a car, and since my wife needed a car to get to her job, all three cars I owned were now spoken for, and I didn't feel like buying (and insuring) a fourth car just for those few months.   So I bought this little orange beauty hoping it would just get me back and forth to my job for the summer.  The most I'd be out would be a grand, right?

Well, things worked out somewhat unexpectedly.   The first unexpected thing was that I found I really enjoyed scooting!  Going to work (about 6 miles each way) was now a joy rather than a chore.   I found I started using my scooter whenever I could, even if a car was available.   The RoadRunner made it through the summer (1400 miles) just fine and at 90 mpg, I felt I was actually saving some money.   So I kept it for the next four years (and 4400 miles) even though after that first summer I really didn't need to anymore.

Now as far as the quality of the scooter:  Over the next four years, a number of "issues" did come up:  Twice the key-module just broke (the metal was like buttery-tin) and had to be replaced.   In year two the entire exhaust system (pipes and muffler) rusted out and had to be replaced.  The spring/cable that opened the seat didn't work right until it was modified.   The front brake master cylinder started leaking and the whole front disk brake had to be replaced.   Plus the fuel gauge was never reliable and there was also a small oil leak (just a few drops after the bike was parked) that was annoying but never really caused a problem.  Also a small leak in the rear tire made me have to top it off every week or so.

I wasn't able to find a mechanic that was willing to work on this scooter (this is Rochester, Minnesota) so I had to learn to fix all this stuff myself.   That was the down side.  On the up side, the scooter was actually pretty easy to open up and work on and it was easy to find parts for it on the Internet -- even body panels.  And even better, the parts were unbelievably cheap (which was probably why they failed so quickly in the first place).   An entire exhaust system for $85?    An entire front brake system (disk, caliper, master cylinder, brake handle and cable ) for under $100?    Crazy!

So I spent a fair amount of time (and a little bit of money) keeping the thing running for four years but developed a love for scooting and a feel for the mechanics of scooters and how they work.   I also realized I wanted something a little higher-end.   Something I'd feel comfortable cruising at highway speeds (this thing topped out at about 55 mph).   I ended up selling the RoadRunner this spring for $600 and ended up buying a People GTi 300 which so far I'm very happy with.    Now the Kymco is just in an entirely different category as far as quality compared to the RoadRunner -- but it should be, as it costs 6 times as much.  I'm pretty confident I'm not going to have the mechanical problems I had with the RoadRunner.   However, in retrospect, that little Chinese scooter really only cost me about $700 (given the original price, plus the cost of replacement parts minus what I sold it for) for four years and 4400 miles of pretty fun riding.  Given what I saved in gas and the wear-and-tear saved on my cars, I feel it was money well spent.   

And that's pretty much what it comes down to in the end.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2012, 06:52:45 AM »
Great story Kent! Thank you very much for sharing! My Chinese bike had more than 10,000 miles before the big 15-foot flood in 2009 came. The flood was not water but muddy water. After the flood. I just sprayed water on the bike and placed it at the backyard without any roof. I was planning to fix it but after three (3) years out the yard (the dog chewed all fenders and weed vines grew on it), I decided to give it away (traded with another dog). Two days after the new owner got it, I saw the bike running fine. Damn, I asked the new owner how was that possible after 3 years at my backyard with all the elements. He said he just bought a brand new carb (very cheap), new dynamo/stator (also very cheap), changed the oil and a small can of wd-40. I bought that bike for $500 brand new (original price was $800). Sale price because it had a small scratch on the side and duct tape stain on the seat.

ailixhomes

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »
I like very much Chinese scooters and it is best also. All the part of scooters you can find all over place. Dealers of scooters are every where now and also most of part are easily to find. There are some cheap ones out there and you get what you acquire so simply take some time and study the scoot before shopping for one you'll be able to notice smart ones.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 08:20:09 PM »
I know of three individuals with chinese scoots.  They have had no problems with them.  They ordered them from the internet and had them drop shipped to their homes.

Then I know other people to whom the scoots are money pits.

My local scooter shop will work on all brands and they do a really good job of fixing them. 

One particular individual brought in a trike-ish scooter of chinese manufacture.  It needed parts.  When they contacted the importer they were told in order to get the parts needed they had to buy 3 scoots and become a dealer.

So the scooter left on a trailer and will probably become the backyard home for weeds and furry varmints.

Don in KC.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »
See?  :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()