Author Topic: Chinese scooters  (Read 12857 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Chinese scooters
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »
When someone mentions chinese bikes, the immediate reaction would be "crap" or "piece of junk" and not even talking from experience.  I've had experiences with chinese bikes and seem to have no complaints about them. How come? Was my chinese bike a good quality bike? The first problem I had was a broken speedo cable. Easy fix. That happened about one month after I got the bike. Then the carb plastic spacer/gasket broke after about 2 years then that's about that. The rest was fun riding. In our country, the only people who complain about chinese bikes are those who can afford the branded ones. The less fortunate who can only afford the chinese bikes and have no access to internet reviews praise them for durability, efficiency, and quality.  Or maybe the importers here look for good factories there and strictly test and evaluate them. By the way, chinese bikes here get good after market services from dealers. There's a big market here, that's why they do this.  In buying another bike/scoot, chinese made bikes are still on my list.  In other countries, the U.S. especially, there are blogs condemning these bikes and dealers. I can't comment on this because I don't really know the truth behind.

Note: This post is not an indication that I like "chinese". This is only for discussion purposes.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 08:48:55 AM by Vivo »

Ronnath

• View Profile
Re: Chinese scooters
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:13 AM »
here's a forum largely devoted to chinese bikes. overall, they like them.

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:05:09 PM »
Chinese bikes are condemned in the States because they are a dead end purchase -- there's virtually no service or parts available. Something goes wrong and you're stuck with the thing, especially if you are not a mechanical person. The first two scooters I considered where actually Chinese, one in particular was really nice, and I was going to buy it used for $500.00 dollars. The problems was it wouldn't start. I had the battery recharged, and still nothing. Worse was I couldn't get the panels off to get to the engine and spark plugs because the screws were stripped.

The second one I considered was from a shady garage/used-car dealer. The owner didn't have the title, or the keys. It was obviously stolen, so I walked away.

Another problems is getting them to pass inspection, and in some states they have been banned due to problems with the Vin numbers supplied by the manufactures in China:

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=564901

-Wolf

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
I love the chinese scooters I have one that has best very good to me.the parts you can find all over the place. chinese scoot dealers are every wear here now. most parts are easy to find. I got over 40.000 miles on it and its my most dependable bike its a 03 and it out lasted my 07 kymco.yes there is some cheap ones out there and you get what you pay for so just take your time and study the scoot befor buying one you can find good ones.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
Ahh, welcome to Chinese Scootah store, you like this one, more bettah for you, Numbah One scootah, all time, too fast, too furious, GY6 run strong like bull, for you, won tousand dollar...

Ooh, no, so sorry, my manager, he review your application, you say no mechanical experience, this required, first thing, you not have this, cannot make sale for you, you buy only Honda, Suzuki, Vespa, no experience, you pay top dollah, oil change, 2 hundred dollah, guaranteed, air filtah, 2 hundred dollah, guaranteed, very nice for you.

Next time, you not come here, you wear pink polo shirt with pop collah, penny loafers no socks, Wayfarers on top of head, you all dressed up, nowhere to douche. You go see Vespa, tie sweater on neck, they have scootah for you, maybe $6000, they not sell to scruffy Scooterdawg in blue jeans and plaid shirt with sleeves tore off, no, very strict dress code, you make Vespa dealer whole family happy.

You go now.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
Ahh, welcome to Chinese Scootah store, you like this one, more bettah for you, Numbah One scootah, all time, too fast, too furious, GY6 run strong like bull, for you, won tousand dollar...

Ooh, no, so sorry, my manager, he review your application, you say no mechanical experience, this required, first thing, you not have this, cannot make sale for you, you buy only Honda, Suzuki, Vespa, no experience, you pay top dollah, oil change, 2 hundred dollah, guaranteed, air filtah, 2 hundred dollah, guaranteed, very nice for you.

Next time, you not come here, you wear pink polo shirt with pop collah, penny loafers no socks, Wayfarers on top of head, you all dressed up, nowhere to douche. You go see Vespa, tie sweater on neck, they have scootah for you, maybe $6000, they not sell to scruffy Scooterdawg in blue jeans and plaid shirt with sleeves tore off, no, very strict dress code, you make Vespa dealer whole family happy.

You go now.

Dude, that's just racist. Seriously, not funny.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
Get bent, Quimby, you're the one with no experience condemning Chinese scooters as inferior.

You almost bought a stolen one, yeah, you're an expert like the other guy trying to sell a scooter he couldn't start.

Maybe you should comment on something you know about, because it isn't Chinese scooters or racism.

You must know something about something. Or not.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
Part of the deal with Chinese scoots in the US is the cost of labor here.  Even if one is only slightly more likely to need occasional work, getting that work done and arranging alternate transportation while it's done is expensive.  That, coupled with our sprawled cities with poor transit systems makes having a vehicle out of commission a pain.  Reliability is very important for any vehicle here.  If you do your own work and have a second scoot, trying a Chinese make might make good sense here.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
Okay, my 2 cents...but may only be worth a penny.  There seem to be some Chinese companies that are producing a decent scooter.  CF MOTO comes to mind.  The problem is that they have a sparse dealership network in the US.  Also while there is a significant savings in initial purchase, I'm not sure that follow up expenses are also less.  By the way, having tested a CF MOTO - it was a clone of the classic Honda Helix, it seemed mechanically sound and very comfortable.  However, the fit of the panels was atrocious, and the control switches were flimsy.  One final comment - Vespa has now outsourced much of their production to Chinese factories - most of their smaller cc scooters are being produced in China, but under Italian production guidelines and supervision.  As with anything else, buy what you like, just be prepared for the consequences - heck I still remember the early 70's when no one would buy Japanese cars, and Japanese motorcycles were considered deathtraps.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »
There's 50,000,000 Chinese scooters somewhere in the world today, some are still plodding on, others are sitting broken down, some are smashed to bits, and some are riding right and doing their job.

Up until 2008 the materials and workmanship caused many problems and helped perpetuate the myths and misconceptions associated with China scoots in general, but this was not the only issue.

Americans demanded high quality and low maintenance for a modest investment, and the customer base was unskilled and disinterested in developing a support strategy to keep the failures minimal and the reliability continual.

So a few hobbyists applied their talents learned on other machines and soon found the GY6 engine, which was invented by the Kwang Yang Motor Company for Honda, was a study in efficiency and simplicity, and could be supported anywhere in the world by relatively unskilled mechanics.

In 2008 the gas prices spurred interest in cheap scooters so the Chinese factories went into overtime, and boatloads of shipping containers full of new scooters arrived only to be met with scorn and derision due to the 2002-2007 era, before the engineers had fine tuned the manufacturing process to make better scooters cheaper and faster.

The Chinese build fighter jets and satellites and submarines and entire cities, you think they're still cobbling together junk to try to compete in the marketplace? No, they're trying to take over the marketplace, and you can't do that with junk.

From 2008-2012, the fitment was still lacking, and parts supply was still erratic, but the product improvement was dramatic, and the engines and performance were not in the same class at all as the older models. Custom and special parts became a new facet of the supply line, but there still lingers a stigma of unreliability that is only explained on the end user side.

When you buy a Chinese scoot, it is yours alone, and you are responsible for performance and maintenance, so you must be familiar and adept at diagnosis and repair, and if you don't know, no one is willing to do it for you.

By this date, the China scoot forums have a data base that covers all aspects of techniques and procedure, but it is voluminous and must be studied in its entirety to have a working knowledge of the GY6.

People go to college for years and research inconsequentia ad infinitum, but they are unwilling to take personal responsibility for a vehicle they depend on, and then are crestfallen when mechanics who work on expensive, complicated machines decline to accept such a simple repair as whatever may be wrong with the China scoot.

They are easy to work on, parts are cheap and plentiful, if you can't find a part, just buy another scooter, and you'll have all the parts.

I have been flogging and bashing Chinese scooters for 5 years, expecting them to be disposable, or at the very least replacable, and I can't get rid of them. The just keep choogling on.

It starts to rattle, makes a funny sound, something fell off, you fix it, tape it, glue it, weld it with zip ties, put a new carb, variator, belt, shock, and the damn thing won't die.

WHY WON'T YOU DIE, DAMN YOU I HATE YOUR CHINESE ASS!

Not really, I'm sorry, come here my little China doll, aw, you're so sweet, who loves ya, baby? That's right, your Big Daddy, come on let's change your oil, I got some fresh 20w50 and a couple shots of GTX synthetic, and then I'll rub you down with some nice Armorall, would you like that?

I love you, my China Doll.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 07:11:41 PM by ce »
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:49 PM »
Get bent, Quimby, you're the one with no experience condemning Chinese scooters as inferior.

You almost bought a stolen one, yeah, you're an expert like the other guy trying to sell a scooter he couldn't start.

Maybe you should comment on something you know about, because it isn't Chinese scooters or racism.

You must know something about something. Or not.

All right, I'll try and speak in simple words, or use sock puppets so you'll understand. Feel free to take a bathroom break if this gets too hard to follow or hold your mommy's hand to help you over the hard parts.

1) Never did condemn Chinese scooters. I commented on why they are frowned upon in the US. I've seen some nice scooters from China, particularly the TNG brand and CMSI, Inc. And just for the record your sentence 'you're the one with no experience condemning Chinese scooters as inferior' doesn't make any sense. Are you saying you'd repect my comment if I had experience condemning Chinese scooters?

2) I didn't almost buy a stolen one. I found a classified ad, went to inquire about it, and once I realized it was stolen I walked away. In other words I did the intelligent thing. And yes I know something about Chinese scooters, and why they are difficult to own in the US. That's why I posted my comment. I have no malice or bias against them. This morning a former student of mine asked about how to fix his own chinese scooter -- a bad brake, and I connected him to members of Philadelphia's local scooter club for help. When his bike is fixed we're planning on a group ride.

3) And yes, I now TONS about racism. I've kicked the crap out of every person who's ever called me the N-word in my life. I live with racism everyday, and I find it personally disgusting. What you posted was just that -- RACIST. If you're pissed off cause I called you on it, than it sucks to be you. I liked to think that you're an adult and you know the difference between right and wrong. What you posted was wrong and offensive to any one who is Chinese or Asian. Grow up and realize there are other people and cultures in this world.

4) And the name's not Quimby.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 11:16:04 PM »
So far it's not me in the middle of an argument, oh wait, I haven't commented here yet.

Scooterwolf, I found myself agreeing with, from what I know of Chinese cars and trucks they don't do well in accidents, matter of fact they fall apart compared with western cars.

Now I have to disagree with you on what CE said, I thought his/her little joke with the heavy Asian accent was spot on funny.

I don't know where CE is from but I do know in some cultures referring to someone by their nation of origin is common and a well established practice. In Peru SA they had a President that was of Japanese origins, they referred to him as Chi-na, They refer to friends from the jungles or of American Indian background as Cholo's and everyone knows it's a term of affection, if a friend is black they will call him Negrito or Negrita if it's a girl.

We in the States can learn something from this affectionate name calling. Ever watch the show "All in the family"? Archie called everyone by their respective background, Mick, Kruat, Frog, Spic, Jew, Limey, etc...and it really meant nothing, some much nothing that a couple of years later they started a show called the Jefferson’s, based on a black family that made it "on up". Mr. George Jefferson said every off color thing you could think of about not only Archie but about the Honky in general.

I not only watched the show but loved it, we get too wrapped up today in sensitivities, we need to relax and admit that some things about us are just true. When someone make s a joke about Germans (Where my father’s family is from) I recognize the traits in my family and laugh. When they make dumb American jokes I admit the honest truth about most of America and laugh.

Lighten up my friends, lighten up. 
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:23:03 PM »
lol  I love you, my China Doll...........and you go cf moto....If I was to buy another scoot it would be another cf moto...............

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
Well, Professor Scooterworm, I said you had no experience with Chinese scooters, but you now have plenty of experience denigrating them with hearsay and innuendo.

I, on the other hand, am an expert, and offered my opinion to reassure anyone with any ability and a thousand dollars, to order one online and have it delivered in a box to their home. Any issues would be easily remedied with a little application of common sense and American ingenuity.

As for your racist tirade, I'll have you know I am also an expert on that subject as well.

You see, I'm half French, and half Mexican, and in 1965 we returned to the USA from 2 years in the Azores to Andrews AFB in Mary Land.
At that time it  was difficult to rent a house, my father being a Mexican with 7 kids and a pregnant wife. The ads in the paper would say 'No Negro or military'.

WTF, no military?

Sure enough, we found a house in a black neighborhood, and I went to junior high 100 yards from the DC line, at Maryland Park Junior High School, which was virtually all black, except for the teachers.

I did the best I could to fit in, I listened to soul music on WOL, I wanted to wear Chucks and Chinos like everybody else, but my mom still dressed me funny, in hand me down clothes from the PX. I did wear a pair of blue suede shoes like nobody even seen before.

One day a girl let her curiosity about my dark skin and black hair get the best of her, and she felt my hair, admiring how straight and shiny it was, and she asked, 'What kinda nigger is you, you put something on there, make it so straight?'

Well, I knew I was some kinda nigger, because I wasn't no white boy, so I just said, I'm a Mexican, you know, like, from Mexico.

And all the other girls giggled and started doing a Mexican hat dance like I was Speedy Gonzales in a big old sombrero and a serape.

But it didn't bother me none, I was now a straight haired soul brother, and from Mexico, to boot.

You need to just be an American, ain't nothin' to it but to do it.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 02:21:28 AM »
Clap, clap, clap ...  so since you know what it's like to be racially denigrated, why are you doing it to others? That's just sad.

And again -- where have I put down Chinese scooters? I'll state it again -- Many people find Chinese scooters in the US are difficult to
find service and parts. That's one reason why they are not looked at favorable, even though there are good models. It's difficult to find
a reliable dealership with a known brand scooter. Finding support for Chinese scooters (currently) is even harder. These are facts.
Don't see how this is hearsay or an innuendo:

http://www.scooterfocus.com/chinese_scooters.html

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()