Author Topic: New Agility 50 owner with a few questions.  (Read 2597 times)

tuko

• View Profile
New Agility 50 owner with a few questions.
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
After several years of ups and downs with Chinese scooters I've taken a step upwards with buying a 2007 Agility 50 today.

Getting it home in the garage today I got to doing a quick service by changing the oils and minor adjustments on the brake and throttle wires. Plus fixed the seat base lock wire that jumped out of it's race due to what appears to someone forcefully turning the key/key barrel the wrong direction.

One thing that I thought to be unusual was when I filled the oil. The manual says .90 L, but when I filled the motor the oil level was up to the top of the filler neck, even after running the motor for a few minutes for oil circulation. I found with the Chinese scooters that .07 L was just right, so I'm wondering if the level that is in the manual is a bit generous? I did not remove the filter, so if it's clogged will it give a false oil level reading?

The air filter housing has a rather small intake hose and the part where the hose clamps on the filter housing, the hole is a meager 18mm opening. But the plastic there is thick so I'm going to drill it out with the largest drill that I could dig out which was 20mm. Plus the air filter plate has only one hole in it, which I didn't measure but it seems to be a form of restriction to me and I'm wondering if adding another hole or more will help with air flow.

I'm a fan of iridium spark plugs that I'll order this week and I'll be getting to the CDI trick that I've have read here.  ;)

On the Chinese scooters I found that 4.5 g Dr Pulley sliders worked great for me but I've been reading that most use in the 5.0 g range here. Is 5.0 g better suited for the Agility?

My goal is to gain better acceleration with top speed not being a priority. Actually keeping top speed close to 50kph is preferred so that the police do not get suspicious but with that said I'm tired of idiots in their cars driving so close in traffic.

Cheers,
Tuko.   

tuko

• View Profile
Re: New Agility 50 owner with a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
There is one other thing that I forgot and that is the Exhaust Emission Control System. This being the first scooter that I've had with this, I'm wondering if it really needed? I seem to remember at one time that people welded close the circulation tube so that it didn't draw any air. 

Cheers,
Tuko.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 10:33:36 PM by tuko »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Im sure i only put in 0.7L at an oil change, think the manual says that? Is the 0.9L not for a clean new engine? I just have a mark on my oil jug from the 1st time i did it and use that, but im sure i marked it at 0.7L cos the manual said that?

On the air filter, i cut out the spare plastic on my filter element to let the air flow better into it, dont know if it made a differen e or not but its no worse anyway. I also drilled 6x 10mm holes on the outside bottom edge of the filter cover and that let mkre air in, if you dont want to go to an open filter then this worked for me. Remember to upjet tho or you'll runean.

A 1500rpm torque spring and 1500rpm clutch fly springs work well for me too. Was on 5.5g rollers for ages but just went to 5.1g's and its much better, with that and the torque spring it keeps the revs up nice and high. Wordslinger ran 4.7g fand liked them im sure, dont know if anyone tried lighter than than how they'd work out.

And welcome to the forum  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »
There is one other thing that I forgot and that is the Exhaust Emission Control System. This being the first scooter that I've had with this, I'm wondering if it really needed? I seem to remember at one time that people welded close the circulation tube so that it didn't draw any air. 

Cheers,
Tuko.
I would leave the emissions hooked up I also have a 07 agilty and tryed to take it off and scoot ran like sh** with it off so I hooked it back up and things were better.

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
Hej Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I see that the manual that I got with the scooter was useless compared to the WSM that I downloaded from the links found on this forum.  ;)

I see that the oil should have been .7 L Also thanks for the tips on the emissions, I'll keep them on. Also I'll do something with the air box today so that it's more free flowing.

Cheers,
Tuko. 

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
Today I changed the contra spring to a Naraku 1000rpm and changed the roller weights to 5.0g. On the road she revs up fast but the scooter was going no where's, top speed approx. 20kph. Wanting to keep the 1000rpm contra spring I decided to replace the roller weights back to the originals (6.5g) and with the next road test she did go a bit fast at 35kph. Seeing the heaver the roller was giving me better speed, I then changed to the final set I had here to 8.0g rollers and the scooter now accelerates smoother and up to the limiter of 50kph.  I'm wondering if others have experienced the same thing when they changed their contra spring and roller weights? If so, what is the ideal roller weight to go to? 8.5 or 9.0 ?

Another strange thing with the scooter that simply makes me shake my head. The air filter housing has an air intake hose that had a small hole at the end. OK, when that hose is connected to the air  filter housing the scooter has literally no acceleration or power to speak of! BUT with that hose removed the scooter has lots of power and smooth acceleration. So thinking that the hose is too restrictive I cut it off a cm before the flexy part so that the hose was an uniform size to the air filter inlet. But this to resulted in poor power, only with this hose removed does the scooter have any power. Why ?
I'll leave it off for now but I'm concerned about bad weather driving, rain isn't a good thing in the air filter housing.

When the engine cools down I'll change the main jet to an 82.

Cheers,
Todd.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:15:18 AM by tuko »

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:04:13 AM »
Strange, im running a stiffer 1500 spring with lighter 5.1g rollers and my scoot goes really well like that, good acceleration, smooth all the way to 70-75+km/h, no probs. I used 5.5gs for ages and that was ok for me but i prefer the lighter ones. Anything over 5.5g will just kill my acceleration and i cant ever get to top speed as it takes so long to get tjere i usually run out of road. On the 5.1's i usually run along happily at 45mph all day.

My A50 is a 2008 model but i know another member had a 2011/2012 model and he reckoned it was the same as you on 5.5g's, maybe newer models are different? Cant see that being true tho.

Did you give it a run for a few miles? Sometimes they take a bit to all bed in properly?

There is no way on this planet i could run 7.5g or 8g rollers in mine, i would have mobility scooters out accelerating me  :D

Is there a restriction inside your hose maybe? Mine runs just fine with that flexi hose connected?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
My A50 is a 2007 model so it should be the same as yours and that's what making me scratch my head. Even my 17 year old is confused, maybe the laughter is doing it. LOL Why is heavier working for me and that air filter housing hose, why is the motor allergic to it? No there is no restrictions in the hose, I to thought that.

But with the 82 jet in now, she does accelerate better from from yesterday's drive (original form). I did see that the face on the variator is heavily worn, so that will be replaced soonest and I want to further experiment with weights to get what is ideal for me.

I've left the CDI as is for now and the grooved boss is still in place, top speed isn't an issue for me just acceleration.

Cheers,
Tuko.

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
I forgot to mention, the bell housing has 6 14mm holes in it. I drilled them out to 18mm each making the bell housing a bit lighter and it should help with cooling. Is there a limit to how large a hole the bell housing should have?

Tuko.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 01:16:17 PM »
I forgot to mention, the bell housing has 6 14mm holes in it. I drilled them out to 18mm each making the bell housing a bit lighter and it should help with cooling. Is there a limit to how large a hole the bell housing should have?

Tuko.

i wouldnt have thought there would be any probs with making the holes abit bigger. just not too big that the clutch shoes have difficulty gripping the housing when it spins up. but yea...should be fine. im going for a whole new clutch and bell housing but then again i am gonna be building the beast of norfolk
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()