Author Topic: Fuel tank gauge  (Read 1745 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Fuel tank gauge
« on: June 18, 2012, 01:13:45 AM »
Mine tends to stay on full and drop quickly through the 3/4, half, and 1/4 tank marks, as the tank empies, is this common among scoots and cycles?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Fuel tank gauge
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »
I think so, bike gas gauges are really not reliable.

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 04:25:43 AM »
What scooter do you ride 08080808 ?

Some models have a foam type float that can develop cracks and absorb fuel makinmg the float heavy, then it beats the hell out of itself sloshing around in the tank.

I think thats what happened to my X500, it's not reliable at all, it reads half when it's full, then drops to empty when it's half giving me a few scares.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
You can bend the arm downward to get the full reading back. Happens all the time in marine tanks
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
If you have a digital fuel gauge with an odometer I would suggest tracking the fuel levels to miles/kilometers on your next fill up. This way you can see if your gauge is faulty as you suspect.

-Wolf

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:17:26 PM »
My scoot is a People(s) 200, it's an anolog guage but I do have a digital odometer, last time I filled up at the 80 mile mark cause the guage scared me, took a touch more then 1 gal. I may live by the seat of my pants this tie and run her upto 100 before filling her up, I'm around 70 miles now and have a good drive ahead of me today. The book has my scoot listed at 1.8 gal, can I count on that to be 100% correct?
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »
The book has my scoot listed at 1.8 gal, can I count on that to be 100% correct?
No!
Carry a filled jerry can and ride as long as possible. Next time you willl know after about which distance / fuel gauge reading your scoot runs dry.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »
Same issue with my X250.  Stays on full for the first 100-125 miles and then the gauge plummets quickly until it is sitting on empty.  Then I fill it up only to find I still have about a gallon left in the tank.  Supposedly there is an idiot light for low fuel, but I haven't seen it yet.  Only have 760 miles on the scoot though, so I am still getting used to it quirks.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

MikeKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
I have the same problem with my People 150, which I'm pretty sure sat for a summer, probably last summer, from the condition of the spiders in all of the mud wasp nests I've found in it.  I've found at least one wasp nest behind each piece of plastic!

Somebody did some work on it though, because it runs strong, and the motor oil and gear oil changes I did on it after I bought it were completely unnecessary. I'd never drained cleaner oil.  Oh, well.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:37:00 AM »
No!
Carry a filled jerry can and ride as long as possible. Next time you willl know after about which distance / fuel gauge reading your scoot runs dry.

I did this.... and was not scared anymore....  now I "know" my gauge....

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:46:48 AM »
Same issue with my X250.  Stays on full for the first 100-125 miles and then the gauge plummets quickly until it is sitting on empty.  Then I fill it up only to find I still have about a gallon left in the tank.  Supposedly there is an idiot light for low fuel, but I haven't seen it yet.  Only have 760 miles on the scoot though, so I am still getting used to it quirks.

You have to bend your arm the other way. Bend the arm up, and it will drop more evenly. It's a simple bayonet lock that holds the assembly in.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()