Author Topic: Mid to Top end power issue  (Read 8315 times)

vdubn

• View Profile
Mid to Top end power issue
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »
Ok, so I have been working on this People 50 for a couple days, and wanted to see if I could get a quick opinion from you guys.

It starts perfect, idles good, but when I hop on it and give it gas, it sputters a bit, then takes off ok, and feels like it just falls on its face at about 10 to 15 mph.  Nothing is slipping, and its smoking a bit (which is normal), the carb is full of fuel, etc.

I ran it around the block a couple times, and shut it off at wide open throttle so that I could do a plug check.  Plug looks pretty light, grey-ish, intead of a nice brown color.

So, I pulled the carb, and it looks amazingly clean in there.  I went ahead and blew it all out and put it back together, with a new plug.  I put it on the center stand, and revved it out a bit, and I could tell its really having a hard time hitting any high rpms.

So, I took the Variator apart and found flat rollers, so I am replacing those tonight, and will try it out again to see if some of the rev issue was from a stuck variator.

Any ideas?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: Mid to Top end power issue
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
What kind of mods do you have if any?

Has the scooter been de-restricted?

What size is your main jet? The factory main jet tends to be very small due to restrictions so if it was de-restricted but the main jet wasn't changed it will run lean.

Sounds like you may have a combination of issues. The new rollers will help restore performance. Check the drive belt width. 17mm is the service limit.

Manual if you need it:
"http://www.scribd.com/doc/18774028/Kymco-People-50-EN"
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

obz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:14:24 AM »
I'd check your compression as well.  Sounds like the issues I was having.  I checked my compression and it was around 90 PSI.  Should be in the 130's minimum.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:19:38 AM »
+1  :)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:07:26 AM »
Great questions... forgot to add some info...

No mods, stock main jet (75), and it looks like the variator has the de-restricted sleeve.

I was thinking compression as well, but it starts so well.  It has 124psi compression.  I know that is borderline, but it shouldn't affect the top end so much, should it?

I have a 70cc kit that just arrived today, so thinking of installing the 8 gram rollers I just got, this 70cc kit, and a 98 main jet... thoughts?

Also, the bike has 13000kMs on it, but the bottom end should be fine, right?

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:11:51 AM »
Well, I got the rollers in the mail today, but they are 7 grams, not the 8 that I thought Scooterworks was sending.  Any opinions on running the 7 gram rollers vs the stock ones or 8 gram aftermarket ones?

I have the bike apart, thinking of just installing the 70cc kit and go from there.

Any affordable exhaust options, or is the stock setup actually ok?  I pulled the stock exhaust and there was no restriction of any kind inside the pipe... I thought there might be a washer or something inside.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »
Try the rollers see how you like them. Really just depends on your situation. So many different factors. Riding style, purpose of the scooter, types of roads you'll be on, the terrain of your area. If you're riding on flat roads all the time you might like a heavier roller.

Hell yeah! Throw that kit on it. Just remember to get your jetting right.

What year is your scoot? Earlier models have much less restrictive exhaust. Tecnigas makes good pipes.

Check out http://www.racingplanetusa.com/index.php?sessID=0b7a6bfa6ae6650a1fc6b723da4d6e62
I think zombie said mention the forum for a discount  :)

If you do buy exhaust I recommend going ahead and getting the Tecnigas RS2 instead of the Next R to match the BBK. I wish I had.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
Yea, I think I will just install the kit.  Its easy to do at this point.  The scooter is a 2001, and is mostly just a grocery getter, and scooter that we will haul to the beach in our truck, so the wife and I can run around town together, so there will be some hills occasionally.

I received a 98 main jet yesterday with the kit, is that a good starting spot with the 70cc kit?  I got a 102 as well, but its a Keihn jet, so I need to exchange it for the correct style.  Just curious what you guys with kits and stock pipes are running for your main jet.

I read the post where art shows where to drill the airbox, so I was thinking of doing the same thing to help with air flow.  If you guys have a recommended air cleaner, please post a link, I might just opt to get that instead... I don't mind the intake noise if there is any.

I heard the exhaust on the 2001's wasn't very restrictive, so I figured I would wait on exhaust for now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »
Yeah, you're probably fine with the stock exhaust for now

Drilling holes in the air-box cover is a great way to gain airflow. I have about 5 5/8 holes in mine
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:09 PM »
What kit do you have?
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
The kit I'm running is a Malossi 72cc cast iron kit. I've been told that it's a really good kit for the kymco peoe 50.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 11:12:09 PM »
That's what I have. If you take your time and chamfer and polish ports and edges(not the cylinder walls) it will be even better. Gap the rings. Do everything I didn't do.  ;)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:39 PM »
Did you have any problems?  What main jet are you running (stock carb I assume)?

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »
Ok, so I put in the 7gram rollers tonight, and fired it up... I wanted to see if I could just get it running good before I put the kit on.  I was hoping to at least get it to a solid running state before making changes.

So, I fired it up, and revved it up, and it revs quick off idle now, but then it stumbled quickly again, and kind of just stutters.  I noticed also, it seems to be smoking a lot... not sure why. Fills up the garage with smoke pretty quick.  If I hold it at full throttle, it seems to open up a bit after holding it, but its definitely not smooth.  Now, I am just revving it on the center stand, as the bike is torn apart at the moment.  Without any load on it, I shut it off and checked the plug, and its pretty black.

I am thinking of just pulling the cylinder/head/piston and swap over to the bigger kit, disable the oil injection pump, and pre-mix from here on out, and see what happens.

Any ideas?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 04:20:43 AM »
I am thinking of just pulling the cylinder/head/piston and swap over to the bigger kit, disable the oil injection pump, and pre-mix from here on out, and see what happens.

Any ideas?

That sounds like a good one!
Your certainly flooding out by the way you describe it. Check to see that the choke is working.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()