Author Topic: Mid to Top end power issue  (Read 8316 times)

vdubn

• View Profile
Re: Mid to Top end power issue
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Awesome!  I just ordered that carb from Scooterworks for only $5 more than RacingPlanet, and they shipped it out today (Racing Planet had it on order, and it was more than a week away).  I also ordered the jet kit and exhaust studs from RacingPlanet.  Hopefully I should have everything mid-week next week. 

I thought about an exhaust as well, but I have been told the early people pipes aren't that restrictive, so I thought I could save some funds for now.

Peters, did you modify your airbox at all, or is it totally stock?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 10:08:53 PM »
I drilled 5/8" holes in my air box lid. I have about 5.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
Cool... did you make a nice pattern  ;D

If you have a pic, that would be cool.  I'm sure I can figure something out either way.

I think the bike should run tremendously better without the auto choke.  I have always opted for manual choke if I can, it just removes any mystery about the choke affecting the way the bike runs.

Also, did you use the new reeds that the Malossi kit came with?  They look like nice reeds.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:24 AM »
Do not use the reeds that came in the kit. They're not meant for the ppl.

My patterns not very cool :-[. Do whatever pattern you want  :). I started with just 2 or 3 and added more later.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 03:36:48 AM »
Are you going to run Pre-mix? If so go ahead and remove the shaft off the oil pump and plug the inlet and vacuum lines.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 05:15:31 AM »
Yes, I thought about leaving the pump in there and just adding some oil to the tank to make up for it, but the more I think about it, I think I will just pre-mix the whole tank.  What ratio do you guys run?

If I pull the shaft out, what should I use to plug the hole where the shaft was, or is the shaft inside and the cover just goes back on without the shaft?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:19 AM »
You could, but it's better to run pre-mix for consistency. I mix about 3.3 oz per gallon or 16.5 for 5 gallons. I think that's about 38:1

The shaft pulls right out the bottom of the pump. Then just reinstall the pump without the shaft. Plug the lines going to the pump.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 05:42:36 AM »
Sounds good... somewhere I had read that if you just pull out the drive gear it could leave a void that can cause a lean condition (as if something doesn't seal, and allows air behind the carb).  Sounds like you have done this, so I'll take your word for it.  Plus it sounds easy enough.

Have you guys ever seen issues with the stock reeds causing issues, or ever needing to be replaced in these scooters?  My scooter has like 13000kMs on it, so its no spring chicken.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 05:53:05 AM »
I don't think reeds go bad very often. You can buy carbon fiber sheets and cut your own reeds.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
The steel reeds do crack, and often times break off. It's among the first items to change.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
So, the inspection is just to look and see if the steel reeds are cracked?  Do you know of replacement reeds that are a good swap out, in the event that mine have any issues?

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 01:55:15 AM »
Ok, so I just opened up the Malossi 70cc kit, and noticed that it doesn't come with a new wrist pin needle bearing.  Is that normal,  is there not a needle bearing, or just reuse the old one?  Any opinions from others would be great.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 02:29:25 AM »
Yeah that's normal. Use the old one if it's still clean. If you don't mind waiting and spending 10 or 15 bucks you can order a bearing for peace of mind. Soak the piston, rings, bearing, and pin in a little 2t oil overnight before installation.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:31:49 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 03:10:39 AM »
Soak in just oil, not mixed fuel?  I haven't ever done that before... curious why you recommend it?

Thanks for clarifying about the needle bearing, I was hoping that was the case.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 03:24:58 AM »
I'd rinse everything in gas and soak in just oil. Just to make sure the wrist has plenty of oil during the first few runs. 2 strokes depend on residual oil on the bearings/wrist pins between runs. And the rings, well, just to make everything happy the first few runs  ;D ;)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()