Author Topic: Civilized  (Read 3472 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
Civilized
« on: June 19, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
civ·i·lized  (sv-lzd)
adj.
1. Having a highly developed society and culture.
2. Showing evidence of moral and intellectual advancement; humane, ethical, and reasonable: terrorist acts that shocked the civilized world.
3. Marked by refinement in taste and manners; cultured; polished.

I personally think the definition is correct but does the word apply to us now? Read carefully... I think living in a Sh*t world with all the different types of crimes, immortalities, bullyings, and bad attitudes is not being civilized.  People may just seem civilized or act as if they are civilized but are they really??

We only have good tools as compared to before, and nothing more.

I think we should not even use this word. At least not now...

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Civilized
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »
A nation can be relative civilized, compared to others. Imho we are more civilized than ever before.
Most important point:
- human rights for poor people too, including free social welfare, medical treatment or even lawyer. (This makes it difficult for agitating people and reduces the probability of crimes.)
- less crime and hence no need for draconian penalties (like death sentence).
- minimal engagement in the wars of "big brother". (I'd prefer strict neutrality, out of NATO.)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »
human rights for poor people too, including free social welfare, medical treatment or even lawyer.

Yes, but do these exist because one is civilized or because of other reasons... money perhaps? or political reasons?

Do civilized people destroy the earth? destroy nature to build malls? Build modern bombs and guns that can kill more? Over-populate the earth? Do civilized people pollute the air we all breathe?  Do civilized people let the homeless die on the streets?.... and so on.....

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
You add more and more terms. ::)
Every life is influencing/harming other lifes. Life is a constant struggle for more life. That's nature.
Only dead people are good people. But they are too passive to be saint or civilized.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »
So, it's more of the "struggle for survival in this world" thing?  Nature?... The reptilian brain working....

If this is so, then, animals could be more civilized than humans.....  because they struggle for more life, they mate for life, while humans have sex for lust... or abortion....

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »
Imho not the brain, but the genes control every life. Every living individual has basically the same functionality.
Imho no individual can be civilised.
But I think of civilisation as a society instrument, independent from individuals and their shortcomings.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:39:25 AM »
If this is so, then, animals could be more civilized than humans.....  because they struggle for more life, they mate for life, while humans have sex for lust... or abortion....

Tell that to Bonobo monkeys,
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bonobo

" Bonobos are the only nonhuman animal to have been observed engaging in all of the following sexual activities: face-to-face genital sex (although a pair of western gorillas has been photographed performing face-to-face genital sex,[31]) tongue kissing, and oral sex.[32] In scientific literature, the female–female behavior of touching genitals together is often referred to as GG rubbing or genital–genital rubbing. The sexual activity happens within the immediate community and sometimes outside of it. Bonobos do not form permanent monogamous sexual relationships with individual partners. They also do not seem to discriminate in their sexual behavior by sex or age, with the possible exception of abstaining from sexual intercourse between mothers and their adult sons. When bonobos come upon a new food source or feeding ground, the increased excitement will usually lead to communal sexual activity, presumably decreasing tension and encouraging peaceful feeding."

We aint civilised yet, we kill, lie, cheat, steal, destroy and sh** in our own nest but we dont even care as long as theres a buck to be made at the end of it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:56:58 AM »
We aint civilised yet, we kill, lie, cheat, steal, destroy and sh** in our own nest but we dont even care as long as theres a buck to be made at the end of it.

I think we're going from the civilized to the uncivilized and not vice-versa.

Modern things makes us dumb and uncivilized. We google instead of studying and exercising our brain, our cars have ECUs, we legalize stealing, we legalize killing, we can defend "lies", children play basketball using joysticks, we breathe Carbon monoxide, our cigarettes are electronic, we eat processed food (if we can call them food)........

I can't call this "well cultured", "polished", or morally and intellectually advanced....

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »
Whenever I discover a new food source, all I can think about is face-to-face genital sex.

Is that wrong?
Albuquerque, New Mexico

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
Whenever I discover a new food source, all I can think about is face-to-face genital sex.

Is that wrong?

No, banging away in the carpark or even in the queue of the newly opened Taco Bell is perfectly normal. Just make sure you wipe up the floor afterwards, we dont want anyone slipping  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

gregspeople250

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:08:57 PM »
Being civilized is defined by having control over our base instincts.  No one is civilized all of the time.
Read Miss Manners every day and you'll become more civilized.   Good mums try to raise their children to be civilized.
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD
Kymco AK550

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 12:47:02 AM »
I'll sum up my opinion this way, We're SAVAGES. We kill for the sake of killing, eat more then we need, rob steal and lie, and that's only the poor people, you don't want me getting into what the rich people do.

Yep, SAVAGES!

Ask yourself this, if a truely inteligen life form were to look at Earth what would they come away thinking aboout us, primitive to say the least.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »
Good post... For the first time no one has dis agreed.
Ce...  :-*
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44:39 AM »
Good post... For the first time no one has dis agreed.
Ce...  :-*
Everybody agrees that we are not civilized....Hmmmm...

Is "civilized" the same as being "good person".

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:48 AM »
If you asked the question "are people generally good or bad natured" everyone would have defended themselves and said "good". But when you used the word "civilized" people see That as a threat (the man) are are repulsed by the idea.
I hang around a few lawyers from time to time. It's all in How you ask.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()