Author Topic: Riding in a backwash or wake of an 18 wheeler.  (Read 1774 times)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
Riding in a backwash or wake of an 18 wheeler.
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
Riding in a backwash or wake of an 18 wheeler, don't do it.

I was ridiong to work a short time ago and fell in behind an 18 wheeler figuring he'll block the wind and I'll have a smooth ride up the long hill to my main street.

Man the backwash or wake was so much, battering me from side to side, did know what to expect next, fell back some more and waited space for my move.

Didn't like the feeling of being pushed side to side by his wake.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Re: Riding in a backwash or wake of an 18 wheeler.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:21 PM »
its alot better when they pass you because they make a pocket of calm and the scoot picks up speed but as soon as you go through the windless pocket its bk to wind and general batterings by the breeze.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

hippiebrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
Drafting a truck can be done, but one has to get way too close for comfort to do it.  I've done it a few times, but am a bit more safety minded these days.  You know what they say...I was young and dumb and full...Oh you get it...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:04:52 AM »
I'd rather be behind a truck than in front of it...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:22:17 AM »
You should be about 200 feet behind any large truck, out of the blind spot behind it. Not only can the driver not see you, but any cars/vehicles in an opposing lane can't see you either, making you a target for any left turner. I know drafting can be fun, but you're in a position were you can't be seen
and you can't see what coming down the road in the opposing lane, or in front of the truck itself.

-Wolf

Ronnath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:51:14 PM »
18 wheelers. I seez 'em, I avoidz 'em.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
Agreed with all the above, I was about 50' back and being foolish (not thinking it through).
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
yea they surely rock you around whether you are following or they are passing you, however, there is a certain distance that works that you are not getting buffeted around, however it is really close and not safe.  The other thing, the air wake behind a semi can change if the wind is coming from the side, can make it even worse, i move way over to the side when they are passing me.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()