Author Topic: Battery Issues?  (Read 4672 times)

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
Battery Issues?
« on: June 23, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I am wondering, I want to get a spare battery but I can't find one exactly the same size. Can the battery be a little smaller or what?

juice

• View Profile
Re: Battery Issues?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Take your old battery out to trade in and get one of these at walmart : EverStart ES5LBS PowerSport Battery . They are advanced gel mat batteries at a good price . You might also want to get a smart 1-2 amp trickle charger while you are at it . Good luck .

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 07:09:41 PM »
Instead of a trickle charger, get a battery maintainer.  Walmart has a Schumacher for about $20. 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer-and-Charger/13005742

Maintainers will lower the charging voltage when the battery is charged, thus preventing overcharging the battery.

I agree that there is little use in having more than 1 battery for a single vehicle.  I do like AGM type batteries!!

Scoot safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
its been more the 2 years now sense I used a scoot battery.I go with a smaller size deep cycle battery
that fits under the seat.Just have to run another wire longe enough to reach. they work great because the deep cycles dont need that much of a charge from the stator to charge it.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »

Deep cycle batteries deliver less peak current than starting batteries, but they aren't as easily damaged by deep discharging. This could be an advantage in cold weather, or when your scoot is hard to start when experimenting with carb setups and such...

I've been playing with the idea of using those instead of the standard motorcycle batteries but never had a battery die on me since I learnt the difference. Good to know someone tried this with success already !

Blue, what type/capacity do you use ? (and does it have enough power to use the electric starter ?)

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:20:50 AM »
  VMAX - 600 CHARGE TANK 
CT-600
USES:
AUDIO:600W r.m.s.
MOTORCYCLE, SCOOTERS, ATVs, UTILITY, WATERCRAFT, SNOWMOBILE, JET SKIs
Price: $129.99

and yes it turns over the elc.starter. you can go up one more size put fits tight under the seat.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
  VMAX - 600 CHARGE TANK 
CT-600
USES:
AUDIO:600W r.m.s.
MOTORCYCLE, SCOOTERS, ATVs, UTILITY, WATERCRAFT, SNOWMOBILE, JET SKIs
Price: $129.99

and yes it turns over the elc.starter. you can go up one more size put fits tight under the seat.

130 bucks for a battery!!!  :o

Man that seems way way too overpriced?

Think my last battery was around £20-£30, $40-$50 i think?  $130 seems very expensive?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
Looking at the specs I think it's not only overpriced, but a bit oversized as well for our purpose  ;D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
over sized and over priced yes but its over 3 years old .So with that said how long does a scoot battery last. 1 season....maybe 2....

REDKYMCO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
If you want a battery with more back bone for them winter months fit a 7amp I fitted one on my Peugeot kisbee 50 which had the same gy6 engine and it had excellent cranking power even when the temp was well below freezing, and when I need to replace the batt on my agility will be doing the same....
IF IT IS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT:)

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
The standard motorcycle starting type battery in my first Agility is now three years old and still showing no signs of getting weaker.

But that's probably because I almost never drive short distances and also never need to use the electric starter for more than a few seconds at a time, so the battery probably never got drained for more than 10% or so....

In other words : I think that a standard battery is just fine for most people, but either a deep cycle type or an oversized one can be useful for those who tend to drain the battery for more than a few percent on a regular basis by driving short distances and running hard-to-start engine setups...

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
Thank you guys! I will trade in because I charged my old one with my battery tender but no power goes to the scooter at all.  :(

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »
Thank you guys! I will trade in because I charged my old one with my battery tender but no power goes to the scooter at all.  :(
Maybe 1st take jumper leads off a car battery to the scoot battery and try jump start it? Least then you know it will def start on a new battery before you splash out the cash.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:34 AM »
Ok I have a question because this just started when I took the battery out. When I put on the turn signal it doesn't flash like it used to. On the dashboard or the actual blinker and when I put on the signal and brake it doesn't come on at all. Is this due to no battery? Also when I put on the turning signal it almost sounds like a whirring coming from the dash area?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
check your fuse.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()