Author Topic: Dr. Pulley vs. Malossi  (Read 12283 times)

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
Dr. Pulley vs. Malossi
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
Dr. Pulley or Malossi variator, anyone have any thoughts, concerns, opinions, rants ,raves etc... about which one is the best for performance and quality?
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Pulley vs. Malossi
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »
Have not tried either myself but lots have a Malossi and never once have i read a bad remark about them anywhere. Apart from moaning about he price that is  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:32:31 PM »
Right one, I was thinking Malossi, but then on another forum I glance at once in a while I saw a lot of good things said about the Dr. Pulley. I'll most likely end up going with the Malossi unless I start hearing great stuff from you guys about the Dr. Pulley. The other forum is a chinese scooter enthusiast forum... not be to trusted  :D
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
Revising this post.... Need a part from scooter parts .com and want to get a multavar but they only have the Dr pulley variation... Is it just as good as the molossi or should I just order from someone else? Anyone run the Dr pulley?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
I prefer Jasil to any others. Top Racing is the company. I ran Malossi for 3-4 years, and never realized my drive boss was too long. Malossi makes great parts but they do not care about proper fitments across the board. Jasil knew the boss is shorter (on my engine) and included the correct part. Malossi did not include the correct part. 3-4 years without even knowing I was losing 4 mph...
Jasil does NOT include a contra spring but the Malossi spring is useless anyway. It's weaker than OEM
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 12:59:55 AM »
knew the boss is shorter (on my engine)

Dam skippy, the ZX boss is real short......mine is anyway.. ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 02:08:05 AM »
..that zx issa red-headed stepchild, compared to other kymcos...

..but they some runnin' muthafukkas!!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
I prefer Jasil to any others. Top Racing is the company. I ran Malossi for 3-4 years, and never realized my drive boss was too long. Malossi makes great parts but they do not care about proper fitments across the board. Jasil knew the boss is shorter (on my engine) and included the correct part. Malossi did not include the correct part. 3-4 years without even knowing I was losing 4 mph...
Jasil does NOT include a contra spring but the Malossi spring is useless anyway. It's weaker than OEM

So the boss that comes with the Multivar is too long? What is the right length? I'm gonna measure when it comes in the mail tomorrow.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:52 AM »
3-4 years without even knowing I was losing 4 mph...

..that's common...

Jasil does NOT include a contra spring but the Malossi spring is useless anyway.   It's weaker than OEM

..nnnno, oem is @800...the provided white malossi is rated @ 1000, and is a definate improvement over the oem a50 torque spring.....sssoo.......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 02:27:43 AM »
So the boss that comes with the Multivar is too long

..the boss that comes with the multivar measures 37.5mm...oem is 38mm, ssso no, it's not too long, and offers the possibility of at least a cpl mph increase over oem...

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:49 AM »
Sweeeet, good to know my upgrade is a true upgrade!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 02:53:42 AM »
..yeah, i shortened a cpl of bosses to 37.5 waaay back, and havnt run one longer than that since...

..got one at 37, 36.5, 36...

..i experiment a lot...lol...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 02:57:20 AM »
..i think i just said this..in another thread..

..the best performance i ever got from my screaming 08 came from malossi bits...

..i might have achieved higher top speeds without them...but by then i had modded in lots of other ways...

..i'm running the same malossi multivar you have, in nina, my 50cc super9 LC even now, and am getting the best cvt response that i've ever had with a 2t..

...again, ssssoo......
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 03:03:47 AM by wordslinger »

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:44 AM »
HA, The ONE part i do have left of a name brand is a Multivar in my Ag..
IDK about extra top end but i do like my Ag from 0-40 for sure. GREAT city scooter when tuned in. I do acheive over 50mph repeatedly with her in a cpl straights I've shot vids of.... ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:08 AM »
..YUP, and that's about all you could expect from a derestricted, tuned oem a50 engine...

..itsa true story...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()