Author Topic: Ok... modified stock setup and rolling along with questions...  (Read 8313 times)

acrab78

• View Profile
So after a full derestriction, carb jet , cdi cut, and smooth boss i decided to modify.
I changed the rollers in the stock variator to 5g rollers and changed all four springs in the stock clutch to 1500 yellows.

Now after getting her back together it is running ok, but a big difference in speed after 20 mph...
Maxed out at about 36-38 where after just the derestrict was about 45. Flat land.
Also it is almost worse uphill slowing to 20 on some. I used the lighter rolers and heavier springs to help with this.

I am wondering if the rollers are too light? Also i had a hard time with the clutch reassembly (previous posts) and tried the
Oil wrench technique with a vice only to scrape up the clutch shoes some.... So think that could be an issue too maybe.

When i am driving at 30 or more and let off the gas it slows down rapidly now.....  doesnt seem normal.

Please advise.... About to possibly trash the stock clutch and variator get new/better ones and try again....

OregonDad

• View Profile
Re: Ok... modified stock setup and rolling along with questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:48 AM »
So after a full derestriction, carb jet , cdi cut, and smooth boss i decided to modify.
I changed the rollers in the stock variator to 5g rollers and changed all four springs in the stock clutch to 1500 yellows.

Now after getting her back together it is running ok, but a big difference in speed after 20 mph...
Maxed out at about 36-38 where after just the derestrict was about 45. Flat land.

That sounds about right for your current setup.

Also it is almost worse uphill slowing to 20 on some.

What was your uphill max before derestrict, and after derestrict but before the new weights & springs?

I used the lighter rolers and heavier springs to help with this.

I am wondering if the rollers are too light?

Try the 5.5g that is favoured by most people here.

When i am driving at 30 or more and let off the gas it slows down rapidly now.....  doesnt seem normal.

That is normal for the weights & springs you have.  It allows you to "downshift" going into a corner then power out of it.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:19:55 AM »
Seems a little slow ???

I use all 1500 springs in the rear, 5.1g rollers and my normal flat speed is 45-47mph on the speedo, 30-40 mph uphill.

Sometimes it takes a mile or 2 to all settle in but if you already did a couple miles and its still not right you prob need retune it. Its all trial and error till you find the set up that suits you and your scoot, no 2 scoots are exactly the same.

What type of torque spring is it? Brand name or cheapo? Did you buy the set of 3x different torque springs or just the one?

I had to experiment for ages with rollers and springs till i was happy. Im guessing its a newer A50 you have? Mine is 2008 but a few newer scoots seem to respond differently to older ones, usually 2011-2012 models, dont know why.

If you dont like it as is then leave the rollers but try a 1000 big torque spring. Or if you dont have one of those right now you can refit the stock one and try that, its about 850rpm rated. 20mph is way too slow uphill.

Either way you need heavier rollers or a less stiff spring now to raise the gearing a bit, trial and error, and patience im afraid.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »
Btw, 5,5g rollers were ok for me too, ran them for over a year with no probs. Wordslinger even used to use 4.7g rollers on a 1000rpm spring.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:09:07 PM »
Thanks for some input...  I figured about the same some trial and error haha was hoping for a magic solution. 
My scoot is a 2012 model too.  think I'm going to try to mix and match the 5g rollers with the stock 6.5g rollers (alternating of course) and see how it runs...
Maybe the 1500 torque spring is too strong for my liking. Was hoping it would be good for hills and acceleration. The springs I bought were from scooter parts.com and were the HOCCA brand. Bought the single 1500 and the three 1500 springs too.

Thanks for any input. Will get it right sometime!!! Lol

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
Oh forgot rollers ask more about the clutch shoes...  I did scrape them up when trying to take the clutch apart and am now hearing almost a shearing type noise when about half throttle or more and when hill climbing (full throttle). Thinking this could be the clutch shoes on the clutch bell sliding.... Thoughts?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
Oh forgot rollers ask more about the clutch shoes...  I did scrape them up when trying to take the clutch apart and am now hearing almost a shearing type noise when about half throttle or more and when hill climbing (full throttle). Thinking this could be the clutch shoes on the clutch bell sliding.... Thoughts?

Shearing type noise doesnt sound normal or good   :o

You did refit the metal little end bit into the end of your new torque spring from the old one i guess? Just asking because i forgot when i did mine 1st time so had to take it apart again  ::)

6g seem to work on some newer A50's i think. Mayne buy 5.5 and mix them with the 6.5 you have already to try?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

OregonDad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:06:49 PM »
How heavy is the rider?  Also some 1500 springs are stiffer than others, it depends on the brand.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
How heavy is the rider?  Also some 1500 springs are stiffer than others, it depends on the brand.

Yup, theres that too...

I know another guy tried 5.5g rollers in his newer a50 with the stock spring and he said they felt too light for him so he went with 6g's and they were ok for him. There must be some change in the newer ones somewhere but who knows what or where  ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:29:27 PM »
Just over 200 lbs. The springs are the HOCA brand from parts for scooters.

Don't know if anyone knows about the clutch shoe issue... I guess I could find out if they are wearing on the clutch bell next time I take the cvt cover off. Could be the noise I am hearing.... Almost wishing I had just derestricted it and not messed with anything else :'(

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
... Almost wishing I had just derestricted it and not messed with anything else :'(

We've all been there, keep at it and once you get it you'll be fine.

How bad did the shoes get damaged? One of my pads has a small corner missing but its still fine. If it was slipping you would hear it, and feel it. You can always take off the clutch bell and use some fine sandpaper to even off the clutch pads if theyre not bad. And rub the inside of the bell too where the pads hit. You can do that without removing the clutch if you take the bell off.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Trust me tho, you WILL take it apart many more times to get it perfect.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »
Will try to sandpaper it down and check for wear... Yeah I feel like I will be breaking it down more than I would like to haha...  they sell some naraku clutches and variators at a decent price....  anyone like that brand?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 10:21:28 PM »
..i'm liking my naraku variator pretty good in my s9...

..however, the aluminum naraku drive face cracked severely, but would probably work fine on the a50...

..i'm hard on my 2t cvt....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:27 AM »
Naraku is similar to Hoca. They buy/brand China parts. It is good for everyday street use. I would just try the OEM rollers before any other changes. That may get you back to speed. You can also get an entire Naraku TD/clutch at Racing Planet for about 70.00. They are the OEM set just re branded.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()