Author Topic: People GT 300i vs. Piaggio BV 300i  (Read 7315 times)

pborst

• View Profile
People GT 300i vs. Piaggio BV 300i
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
Right now, I'm in between these two bikes.  I've sat on the Kymco and the ergonomics work.   Haven't ridden it.  The Piaggio is available and I will check the urgs soon.   

pricing is close.   The Piaggio has the bigger gas tank, larger storage room but heavier weight and a shorter warranty.   Kymco has been slow out of the box providing options for upgrading the small top box.   Mileage looks similar. 

Right now, I'm leaning toward Kymco just based on the fact that I know the ergonomics are good for me, a longer warranty, the winshield problem is solved.   But I at least need to see the BV350 first before finalizing.   What do you think?

Paul

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: People GT 300i vs. Piaggio BV 300i
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
I've ridden all 3 of them and the BV350 is comparable with the People 300Gti in terms
of performance, but the People is a lot roomier, more comfortable, and handles just
as well.

At 5'11", the BV was too small for me for anything but short town rides.
The 300 and 350 are the same re: size and ergos.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

pborst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »
Cortez,

Thanks!  I actually meant the BV 350 but put 300.   Wasn't thinking.   So, you'd rate the Kymco higher overall in terms of comfort and roominess.    I went to Richmond south of me and sat on one and liked it very much.   

The gas tank is smaller than the 350 and it has less storage space.   But the warranty is a year longer and it comes with a top box.  Also, I have heard some complain that Piaggio's part supply isn't as good as Kymco.   Don't know what that is based on.  I see from Dave harrington on Justgottascoot.com that there is a windshield now that doesn't require me to remove the front turn signals.   But if I want to upgrade the top box to a Shad or Givi, I will need to retrofit the rear rack.   Nothing is ever perfect.   Just trying to get it as close as I can.  Thanks.

Paul

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:24:27 PM »
The comfort/roominess is the biggest difference between the two.

I can see the BV350 being better for aggressive city riding since it's
a bit stiffer, has more power and a tiny bit snappier brakes, but I'd
pick People for everything else.

One other thing, the People will average between 65 and 75MPG, so
the smallish tank might not be such an issue.

Just read a report of a guy going to the swiss/italian alps with his from
Croatia, he got over 70MPG in the trip and was the slowest bike in
the group.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:43:34 AM »
Paul, I have now crossed over 5K miles in 2 months and 2 days on the GTi. Storage is not great but I am managing to carry everything I would carry on my BV 250. The Kymco is a great scoot. The BV 350 most likely is as well but the dealer support by the Piaggio dealers is lacking. Waited longer than 2 months to get fork seals this spring. Pushed me to buy the Kymco. Having owned both manufacturers I would pick the Kymco. That said either one will be a great ride :) Ultimate Cycle in Richmond gave me a very good price ;)

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 03:55:39 AM »
...   But if I want to upgrade the top box to a Shad or Givi, I will need to retrofit the rear rack.   ...

Shad has a plate to attach their cases to the GTi125/300

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-usa/products/fittings/kymco/people-gti-125/2012/c12mar11mod437mot2926/
Current Rides: Can-Am Ryker Rally 900cc, Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

pborst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
Wiz,

Thanks.   It says People 125, but I'm assuming it will work for the 300 too?

Paul

edit:   the chassis specs on the 125 and 300 are identical according to Kymco.com
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:39:48 PM by pborst »

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 02:14:39 AM »
Paul, Saw your thread over on the Modern Vespa site. Didn't want to catch the wrath over there. The Piaggios are nice scoots but they are not bullet proof as the anti anything not Italian people would like you to believe. Kymcos for the money provide solid reliable performance. The 300 gti is every bit the measure of the BV 350 and in the long run cheaper to own. The belt life is the same, the filters are nearly identical. The 300's rear tire should last a bit longer than the BV 16" vs 14". I enjoy the banter over at MV as there are several very cool people I respect but if it isn't Italian doesn't mean its crap. In this day and age even the Italian scoots aren't really Italian

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
Right now, I'm in between these two bikes.  I've sat on the Kymco and the ergonomics work.   Haven't ridden it.  The Piaggio is available and I will check the urgs soon.  

pricing is close.   The Piaggio has the bigger gas tank, larger storage room but heavier weight and a shorter warranty.   Kymco has been slow out of the box providing options for upgrading the small top box.   Mileage looks similar.  

Right now, I'm leaning toward Kymco just based on the fact that I know the ergonomics are good for me, a longer warranty, the winshield problem is solved.   But I at least need to see the BV350 first before finalizing.   What do you think?

Paul

People GTI vs Piaggio BV 300i

People GTI hands down.

People GTI vs Piaggio BV 350 That is a tough one.
350 has more horse power but, it is heavier , 364 vs 390
Wet clutch pack on rear of BV 350 likely a plus
The 350 will cost around $800-$1000 more when all is tallied up

I would buy the GTI 300 and not look back
Dealers are dropping Piaggio in my area

Don`t get me wrong, I like the Piaggio group. My wife owns an Aprilia scoot. Piaggio makes Aprilia and other name brands.
Piaggio is a big name in motor scooters but they have some problems too.
One biggie is stalling and gas tank problems.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:56:30 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Oldscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
Paul, Saw your thread over on the Modern Vespa site. Didn't want to catch the wrath over there. The Piaggios are nice scoots but they are not bullet proof as the anti anything not Italian people would like you to believe. Kymcos for the money provide solid reliable performance. The 300 gti is every bit the measure of the BV 350 and in the long run cheaper to own. The belt life is the same, the filters are nearly identical. The 300's rear tire should last a bit longer than the BV 16" vs 14". I enjoy the banter over at MV as there are several very cool people I respect but if it isn't Italian doesn't mean its crap. In this day and age even the Italian scoots aren't really Italian

Amen to that Brother.

If I had to give up my Vespa 300 GTI or my Kymco 300i - it would be a long and painful deliberation - but in the end I'd keep the Kymco. IMHO it is a better all-around bike in every respect. 

pborst

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
Thanks.   Are side bags a good option for extending storage capability or are they too easy to cut and steal? are hard side cases even available for a People 300 GTIi?    Thanks.  I like Kymco.  Always have.  Now, that the windshield and top case options are solved, makes it an easier decision.   Longer warranty, better part availability, less expensive.   Less cost of ownership.   I will still visit Scoot Richmond or Vespa of Baltimore to look at a BV 350.  But I like ergs of the 300 GTi.   One minor advantage to Kymco, the speedometer is in miles per hour where the BV 350, I think has it on the inner ring only, outer ring being kph.   Of course, that's relative to what I'm used to.

Paul

Scootaloot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:07 PM »
Paul, I use saddle bags daily. I just carry them with me when the hood is not so good :) On the speedo the Kymco may be 2 or 3 mph optimistic, the BV will be about 10% off. A small but at times important difference ;)

pborst

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
Thanks Scoot.  Appreciate the advise about the saddlebags.  I'd probably only use them if I need them anyway.  My main concern right now is making sure that I can upgrade the topbox.   I spoke with Dave Harrington of justgottascoot on the plate one poster mentioned.   And we still aren't sure if that plate will work on the rear rack of the US sold People 300 GTi.    Dave talked to Shad, and they weren't sure.   Sounds like it will on the Europeon version.   No matter, I will remove the rear rack the same way Dave did and take it to a shop since I don't own a drill press.

Paul

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
I'm not sure what's different in US version, but people are using everything on the
back of their GTI's here, from Givi and Kappa to SHAD, like me (on DT300).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
Get the Kymco. It will be more trouble free and the dealer network and parts supply is far better. The Kymco has ABS while the US BV 350 does not.

The people on modern vespa are the most arrogant people I have seen on a forum. They turn their nose up on any thing not Italian. Most of them are complete snobs. I thought I wanted a Vespa and spent some time over on MV. After listining to them for a while I quickly changed my mind.

Good luck with what ever you get.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:30:11 PM by old geezer »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()