Author Topic: 2001 People 50 Restore, with BBK Install (50 2T)  (Read 15729 times)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: 2001 People 50 Restore, with BBK Install (50 2T)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:22 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure if that is bad or not. I think you mostly don't want any cracks or breaks. The compression in the cylinder should close that up no problem. Not positive though. I don't think that turning it around would do any harm but I don't know for sure. Don't know where to buy reeds either. Basically I have nothing  :D. Lets see what zombie has to say  :).

Keep at it, I know it can be frustrating. Those stupid reeds that came with the kit threw me for a loop. It would idle. I spent days playing with the carb. Then I had an epiphany lying in bed at about 2 am one night "It's those damn reeds".
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 06:13:56 AM »
:)

Appreciate the input either way.  I'll swap them around tomorrow, and see what happens.  I may also swap the coil as well, just to see if that has any effect, plus its cheap.  I'll get to the bottom of it soon... I really think there is something limiting the rpm the way that its stuttering so hard at barely 3000 rpm or so.  The smaller the mainjet I ran seemed to help a bit, but it is soooo sluggish.

I thought for sure that the 70cc kit and carb would just wake it up significantly.

Finally, which CDI does the People 50 take, DC or AC?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 06:25:42 AM »
I thought for sure that the 70cc kit and carb would just wake it up significantly.

It will! Especially with some cvt tuning. I still don't have my cvt tuned where I want it yet. It does good, I just know it can do better.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
Crazy thing is that I have a 2005 People as well, and it runs circles around this People.  Its totally stock, with a de-restricted CDI.  Hoping I can get an opinion from Zombie on the studdering problem.

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
Ok, after a bunch more reading, I think I am going to look into the CDI and/or stator and pickup assembly.   The way that it studders as if every other cycle is being skipped, and it won't rev out, I am thinking something is up with the CDI, or that the timing is off.

In looking over the service manual, it says to check the ignition timing, but gives no way to do it.

I read where zombie had some timing/CDI issues that were similar.  Hopefully he will chime in.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
Pm'd some of the info... Who knows if they are ac or dc cdi's?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
Ok, I think that its a DC CDI that I need, here is the one I think I am getting, if anyone has any opinions on a better or cheaper option, I'd love to hear it:

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/unit-naraku-unrestricted-kymco-dccdi-p-338-1.html?cPath=2_18_116&sessID=89b5d1927f1db513aeb84d1fb91afa03

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
I do believe that is the correct cdi.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »
Ok, I really need some help, this thing is testing every bit of my patience.  I have a local Kymco dealer here, so I went and bought a factory, unrestricted, CDI from them, and installed it today.  The good news, is that it definitely revs higher than it did, but the issue that remains is that it is sooooo sluggish.  It responds better, and I actually got it up to 30 mph today, but it took forever, and just feels totally restricted.  I started the jetting at a 90 main jet, and swapped to a 92, it got better, then jumped back to 100, and at wide open throttle it really started bucking and stuttering.  Went back to a 94, and that is where it has run the best.

The plug is a rusty gray color, so seems fine.  I was feeling ok, like I was making some progress, then I hopped on my wifes 2005 stock 49cc bike with an unrestricted CDI... holly crap!!! It runs circles around my 2001 with a BBK and larger carb.  Something is holding the bike back, and I have no idea what it could be.  If I put both bikes on the center stand, the 2005 revs straight to red line and sounds great.  If I rev the 2001 it revs to about 3000 and then just stutters to maybe 4000 rpm and then tops out.

I pulled both transmission covers off both bikes, and all of the drivetrain parts are stock on both, other than the derestricted sleeves.... so both are identical.  Belts look good, rollers are new on the 2001 and are 7gram.

The only thing that I can see that looks different, is that the exhaust tip on the 2005 is totally dry, whereas the the tip on the 2001 is always wet, it has always about a drip of oil/fuel at the tip and drips towards the front about half way up the silencer.  Its a small amount, but I am always wiping the bottom off of the silencer. 

I heard that the early People 50 exhaust were unrestricted or at least less restrictive than the later bikes, but I am wondering if the liquid coming out might be a crapload that has been accumulating over time from however long its been running poorly.  Just wonder if now its coming out... so is it possible that the exhaust is totally restricted/plugged, and not allowing the engine to spin up?

Or... is it possible that the reeds are too week, and allowing fuel and mix into the exhaust?

I have spent so much time and money on this bike, and I am totally stumped as to where to go.

I thought about a coil, but it starts immediately, I don't mind buying a replacement one but I'm not sure its likely to fix it.  I thought about a stator, but the techs at the Kymco shop said that the only times they have seen stator issues were related to battery charging or lighting issues, but never spark issues (unless something contacted the pickup).

Other than those things, or the possibility of the exhaust being plugged, I am out of suggestions.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 05:32:09 AM »
Exhaust most definitely could be clogged up. I was thinkin... you could try using the exhaust from the other ppl. I'm not sure if those compression gaskets can be reused though. Somebody on here may have some spares as they come with the kit but Tecnigas uses a paper type gasket. I think I have one, but you may need more than that.

Hey zombie! Can you reuse those compression type exhaust gaskets?
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
Yep, you read my mind... I was thinking the same thing after I posted that last.  I have reused the metal gaskets without issue, so that is what I will try tomorrow.  I can think of no other reason that the exhaust would be so full of liquid...

Do any of you guys know what the symptoms of bad/worn out reeds are?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
I have reused the metal gaskets without issue

Yeah I thought you could

That should isolate the problem
*2001 ZX-50 beater

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 06:35:30 AM »
Yea, I think you are right... I looked up some symptoms of the reed valves going south, and it looks like compression would be affected mostly, so it looks like they are fine. 

I really don't know how long this bike sat before I got it, so I am really crossing my fingers that the issue is exhaust related.  It still puzzles me that there is so much soot coming out of the pipe.  If the exhaust is really holding things up, then I think I will probably need to go back up a size or so in main jet as well.

I'll post back tomorrow night.

vdubn

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
Awe yea!!!!!!!! Jeeemoneeee crisssmassss it worked!!!!!!

I swapped out the exhaust this morning and oh my goodness, what a powerhouse!  I honestly would never have guessed that the muffler would have been the issue, but it was totally the problem.

Ok, so now I need an exhaust really quickly. Any suggestions?  I think that I saw the technigas R exhaust for $158, but also the NCY exhaust is like $260, and looks super sweet, but looks like it could be super loud too.

Thoughts?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
Awesome!  ;D

Really glad you found the problem. I could feel the frustration. And believe me I know the feeling  :D

Tecnigas next R is a good pipe but the RS2 is a better match for the bbk. It will allow higher rpms and a wider power band. Leo Vince pipes are ok from what I hear. NYC... not really sure about them. I don't think NYC is a very good brand though.

I have the next R and it's been good. Not real real loud. To be honest if I could do it all over again I would go for the RS2. I say if you can find the RS2 for a little bit more money, go for it.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()