Author Topic: Astrology  (Read 11735 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Astrology
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
Okay, I PROMISED myself to stay away from all non-scooter related threads here, but after seeing 4 pages committed to Astrology(!) I had to see.
Damn, why'd I look?

All right, I'll throw in my 2-cents.

The first argument that the planetary bodies (and the moon) affect us due to their effect upon everything from the tides, to the G-forces applied to us in a tight turn is to paint this argument in broad strokes. I believe what is being referred to here are the laws of physics which effect everything from a single dust particle to the planet Jupiter. To say that we are all part of the universe and therefore interconnected is also to paint in broad strokes, but yes, that is true.

However, to say that the planets (and moon) and their alignment to one another affect us spiritually, emotional and mentally has no valid evidence in science. Do people believe it -- yes. Why? Wish I could say, but perhaps it's like a conspiracy theory in that it is more interesting to believe than the truth. Perhaps Astrology -- whether European, or Chinese -- are some of the last vestige of knowledge and (superstitious) culture from our long past that still resonates today. Do people believe the world is flat? No, (except for Sarah Palin  ;) ), but some people may give pause to having a black cat cross their path.

08, I think if you had phrased this debate about who has any beliefs, superstitions, or observations they have about the world, conditions, or times -- that influence how and when they ride  -- like never riding on a full moon, Friday the 13th, etc ... I think there would be less friction on this thread with arguments on both ends of the spectrum.

I really don't believe in astrology, but I get a kick out of reading it just because it's funny see how wrong the predictions are. I think psychics are full of sh**, but I believe there's probably a creature out there named Big Foot or the Yeti (old childhood dream to go on a Big Foot expedition for sh**s and giggles).

People are illogical, and irrational (I admitted that Big Foot exist). Part of what makes us human, but sometimes you have to ask yourself if you are living a life based on facts or unchallenged assumptions about life?

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
And who could you possibly be refering to then??
I won't name names but if you read the threads I've posted it becomes pretty clear.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 06:36:13 PM »
Hmmmm, place is full of "Morons" now eh?  Not only that but they/we are all negative morons, the worst kind next to homicidal morons........... Way to go!

Your going to have to show me where I said the place was full of morons.. Please don't quote me out of context, mis quote me, or put words in my mouth, there is barely enough room there for me foot.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:12 PM »
Yes they do, gravitational. It is inversely proportional to the distance squared.

WINNER, WINNER, WINNER!!!!!

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »
For the record, I enjoy Astrology, do I base or run my life around it? Hell no! Do I read the newspaper clippings, another hell no!

Do I think there is something to a person’s chart, yes I do and I put myself in the company of past Presidents and scholars by doing so.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »
I won't name names but if you read the threads I've posted it becomes pretty clear.

Im still confused   ??? 

A couple of the folk im thinking you may be refering to know more about scooters than Mr Piaggio does and do more to help than the Red Cross? Without them the forum would be full of pointless questions and useless answers? Course maybe i got my wires crossed and we are thinking of different people here?

Im not naming names either but i will say i have never ever had any issues with anyone on this forum in all the time i have been here, over a year now. I have always got help and answers when i ask and never had any arguements or bad feeling from anyone.

Seems there's been more grief and petty arguements lately since someone started posting "unusual" or divisive questions  :-\

Its a scooter forum so dont expect heavy in-depth conversations here, most come on to get help, give help or just relax and chill with other scooter fans. There are other forums/sites out there for discussions on deeper, more serious stuff. Personally i dont mind anything posted here but i can see how certain posts can and do annoy or upset some people here. You can say just ignore it but as Wolf pointed out it gets to the stage you just get curious or cant bite your tongue any more and you end up getting involved (by YOU i mean all of us).

Thats my take on it anyway, maybe wrong, maybe right. Still think calling other members Morons is not right tho  :-\

Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
Perhaps one day via PM I'll forward you the names I speak of, however I don't see much point in it. I know this is a scoot forum and I have posted my fair share of scoot related stuff, all one has to do is look. The members in question though complain about my "conversation posts/threads but never have commented on a scoot related question thread I've posted.

I keep the opinion of, if you don't like a member or what they post about refrain from reading their threads, it's not that hard. When I name a thread you can pretty much tell up front if it's in fact scoot related or conversation orientated.

Someone noted recently that the forum was "taking off", there is only so much scoot related stuff you can discuss before it's all been done, that's the reason the owner or mod placed this gen forum.

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 11:18:28 PM »
I know this is a scoot forum and I have posted my fair share of scoot related stuff, all one has to do is look.

General Discussion    323

People s200    10

Xciting 500     1

People 250     1

General Discussion    2.0808%

People s200   1.2804%

People 250    0.0455%

Xciting 500    0.0193%
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 11:40:54 PM »
Okay, last response and a short one.  08, of course the study of tides is a science.  The implication you were making was that any thing that affected large bodies of water would also affect our bodies.  As for the 1g while driving your Cobra, you may feel it, but it does not have a physiological effect on your body.  I also would not use Jung or Hippocrates as arguments to support Astrology.  Jung was a well know fan of mysticism and Hippocrates believed that the world was flat and held up by a giant turtle.  He also believed in a mutli-god religion that used Astrology to predict the future.  Finally, yes various police departments have resorted to Astrology to help them profile criminals.  They do so to gain insight into what the criminal may believe or be motivated by - the Zodiac killer in L.A. being a perfect example of this.  They also have been known to use psychics - don't believe in them either.  If I was psychic, I would play the lottery and retire.

One final note.  It is very easy to misinterpret the written word as there are no verbal cues or expressions to help decide nuances of meaning.  I had thought you wanted opinions.  If  giving an opinion on a subject that disagrees with yours,  makes me a moron, than I hope I am missing some nuance in your message.  I personally don't get upset with what people want to believe and would defend your right to believe it.  However if you don't want me to challenge those beliefs, don't invite me to comment on them.  I only offer my opinion if invited to do so.  When you post a question, you are inviting comment from all members of the forum.  And for the record, I really recommend refraining from name-calling, it does nothing to help your argument.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 12:40:41 AM »
bleys,

A good well thought out response. I invite all comments but will also defend a position (not always my own) I like to play Devil’s advocate some times. I expect people to disagree but will look for fault in their argument just as they find fault in my stance.

I'll have to go back and read why I referred to you as a moron if in fact I did, but I'm sure if I did you made a major boo boo in a comment or something.

the PD FBI and CIA use Astrology in other cases not just for criminals that follow the Zodiac, they feel that certain signs are more likely to commit certain crimes then others. Of course they won't acknowledge this publicly but it is studied.

Hippocrates, isn't the Hippocratic oath named after him? Yeah I guess your right all medical personal picked the wrong guy to model themselves after.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »

General Discussion    323

People s200    10

Xciting 500     1

People 250     1

General Discussion    2.0808%

People s200   1.2804%

People 250    0.0455%

Xciting 500    0.0193%

What you need to do now is find out how many posts/threads I made in the gen topic heading that were scooter related.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2012, 01:30:04 AM »
mo·ron  (môrn, mr-)
n.
Psychology A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

I want to be 12 again...... ::) ::) ::)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2012, 01:34:24 AM »
mo·ron  (môrn, mr-)
n.
Psychology A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

I want to be 12 again...... ::) ::) ::)
A term of derision often uttered by Bugs Bunny when referring to an interaction
with a dopey adversary. It is a mispronunciation of the word "Moron"

YagerMySter

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2012, 01:58:59 AM »
You are getting very sleepy.  your eyes are becoming very heavy.  When I snap my fingers you will fall into a deep sleep.
I did it and I'm glad.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2012, 03:06:07 AM »
maroon!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()