Author Topic: slammed into a speed bump hard!  (Read 1387 times)

scarlett

• View Profile
slammed into a speed bump hard!
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
I slammed my beloved Scarlett into a speed bump fairly hard yesterday and later went on a two hour ride. I seemed to be feeling small bumps more than ever and on the way back noticed a nasty front wheel wobble like those mentioned on other posts. Happens while holding handlebars loosely while decelerating from about 40 mph down through about 35 mph. Also felt floorboard vibration more than ever before. Front rim doesn't look bent. Could I have knocked the steering bearings out of place? Steering itself feels fine but I never had this wobble before hitting the speed bump. Can steering bearings cause a wobble without affecting steering otherwise? Thanks for any input.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: slammed into a speed bump hard!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:34:42 AM »
Try to hold the front brake tight, and rock the bike forward, and back. TRY to make a rattle or jumpy feeling. There are bearings in the wheel that could have been damaged. Se if there is any side play in the wheel.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »

oh...   we call em' speed hump... ;D

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »
oh...   we call em' speed hump... ;D

We have both, a bump is a small diameter or width lump in the road that requires you to slow down more or resulting damage will occur. A hump is wider and the incline is more gradual so you can take it a bit smoother when approching it.

I think humps are much better, you still need ot slow down but you won't get as much damage if you fail to. IMO
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
my hump my hump my hump

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:01:07 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:34:53 PM »
You could have twisted or bent something in the front forks. Check every thing out to make sure the forks are lined up. Check the run out on the front rim. The head bearings could also have been damaged. You may need to check them as well. They are hard to get to.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()