Author Topic: Instrument Cluster fogging up after rain.  (Read 1998 times)

andrito

• View Profile
Instrument Cluster fogging up after rain.
« on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »
My dealer is telling me that it is normal for the instrument cluster to fog up after a rain and that it is not a warranty issue.  Has anyone also had this problem?  I have a 2009 Kymco, Super 8, 150cc scooter.

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: Instrument Cluster fogging up after rain.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:15:23 PM »
Doesn't seem like it would be normal to me. It indicates the presence of moisture inside the unit. I wouldn't think that  would be a desireable situation. Perhaps someone who owns one can add more insight?
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:27:05 PM »
I would ask your dealer for the phone number for the kymco factory representative , so you can call and confirm that the fogging is normal behavior for your scooter . Good luck .

jmccoach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:49:04 PM »
I haven't had the pleasure of riding in the rain yet, but I wouldn't expect it to fog up from moisture. Although I do see on the buttons for setting the clock that they might wear out or dry rot quickly and allow moisture in. I might try to apply some "protectant" to the buttons to keep them from cracking. Something like armor all. Do you notice any cracking on the buttons?

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »
It should not do that.  I just rode last weekend in the driving rain and thunderstorms and nothing fogged up on my X500.  (Except my face shield and glasses...)  At times the rain was so heavy that we could not see to ride.
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

billh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:05 PM »
I have a Super 8 150 and get fogging when it rains!

andrito

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 11:41:11 PM »
My dealer is covering the "Instrument cluster fogging up after the rain" under warranty.  They have ordered a new instrument cluster and will install it, after they receive it.  According to the factory, this is a warranty repair item.

chubbyrockstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Good to hear they didnt brush you off, some dealers do that so they dont have to deal with it. Dont ask me why ,but if i was a dealer I would try to be as helpful as i could trying to reach "customer satisfaction".
Good for you man on holding them to what they are suppose to do anyhow!
when you get that new part,even if they put it in for you, take it home and then remove the cluster again and put some clear silicone caulking around every area where it looks like condensation can enter the cluster. This helped keep my Ford Mustang headlights from doing the same thing.
Good luck
"chubbs"

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()