Author Topic: Strange sound at start-up  (Read 4777 times)

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
Strange sound at start-up
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
Hello all.
I have been addressing this issue in the Like 50 area, but want to know if anyone else might have a thought on this.
I ride a Like 50 2t and recently installed a Jasil/Top Racing variator. An issue I had had was yesterday after installation (and an initial startup that went well) incurring a grinding sound with no start. This morning I went into the case and discovered that the ramp plate was 'stuck' on the shaft. It's inner diameter was slightly thinner than the OEM (about the thickness of paint, which I scraped off). After making sure of good fitment, I reinstalled the vari and my fasteners are all attached well, but on start-up, there was a grinding sound still (though the engine does turn over and it appears that the cvt is turning). From what I can tell, the bendix is not disengaging once the engine starts. I am assuming this because that is the location of the sound, the kickstart shaft has some movement after startup, and there are some fine metal flakes under the bendix. The washer has been in place each time I return the cover. I did start the engine yesterday with the cover off (and without making sure the bendix was retained), but at that time, the engined turned over well and CVT pulleys turned freely.
Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:46:27 PM by wassonii »
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
Re: Strange sound at start-up
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 02:32:18 PM »
Given my most recent investigations, what may be happening is that the new vari is slightly 'thicker' than the OEM and is causing the vari face to protrude just enough to catch the kickstart gear. The bendix, with manual manipulation, travels well and is not hanging up. When the case is fully bolted and the scooter kickstarted, the kickstart lever tries to continue to travel. I don't have time for further investigations just now, but those are my immediate thoughts and findings. The sound may better be described as a 'clicking/rubbing/kind of grinding' sound coming from the area where the bendix protrudes/kickstarter gear engages.
sans scooter, rien

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:08:30 PM »
Can you not pull out the bendix, refit the cover and try kickstart it? Least then if the noise goes away you know if its the bendix, if its still there then you know the bendix isnt hitting?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
take the kickk start cover off and clean realy realy good .the hole that the bendix hits when it shots out to start the bike might be filled with dirt and its grinding on gear wheels. I broke mine doing that all I had to do is clean it good. I know its not much but sometimes a clean scoot is a happy scoot.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
I am fairly certain that the bendix is good. Yesterday after install, I think I didn't have it seated properly, though I will def make sure the hole is debris-free.
I just got back to the house, so haven't had a chance to remove bendix and try lone kickstarting since sending my last missive.
I had noticed some rub spots on some of the fan blades and teeth of the kickstarter gear (cover side) on the last time under the cover.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
I think I posted on the other thread that the cvt gasket is too thin now. Adding a second/third gasket will allow clearance. But the question is Why is it "thicker"?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
I just shot this info over at the other discussion, but so it is here, too:
The Jasil boss is 39mm where the OEM is 38mm. That, coupled with a slightly taller ramp plate makes the distance 1-2+mm more, causing the fan and likely the gear on fixed plate catch the kick gear at the cover. I have swapped back to the OEM vari and it runs fine.
For the record, I did follow the other suggestions of cleaning the bendix hole and removing the bendix to see if kick would start before embarking on complete removal/replacement.
Also, for what it's worth, the OEM boss does not fit the Jasil vari (too thick, but only just)
Many thanks to Strido, Blue, and Zombie!
sans scooter, rien

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43:40 PM »
I just shot this info over at the other discussion, but so it is here, too:
The Jasil boss is 39mm where the OEM is 38mm. That, coupled with a slightly taller ramp plate makes the distance 1-2+mm more, causing the fan and likely the gear on fixed plate catch the kick gear at the cover. I have swapped back to the OEM vari and it runs fine.
For the record, I did follow the other suggestions of cleaning the bendix hole and removing the bendix to see if kick would start before embarking on complete removal/replacement.
Also, for what it's worth, the OEM boss does not fit the Jasil vari (too thick, but only just)
Many thanks to Strido, Blue, and Zombie!
If you can access a set of calipers or gauge to measure the width of the Jasil hole accurately you can just lathe down the 38mm boss you have so it fits, if you can get a shot of a lathe or know a friendly machine shop guy, its a quick job so shouldnt cost much if you have to pay.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:41 PM »
All this cross posting... Gotta combine/kill one. Trimming/shimming the Jasil will get it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
..did i reply or did i not...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
Cross-posting sure beats cross-dressing, tho I do look good in a skirt.
wordslinger, you just did...and thank you!
I may have access to a machinist, actually.
sans scooter, rien

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 12:17:23 AM »
...Cross-posting sure beats cross-dressing, tho I do look good in a skirt

..oh scooter gods, make wassonii be a girl....

...please!!

;D

..or at least wearing a kilt!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:22:04 AM by wordslinger »

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »
utili-kilt all the way (but not on the scoot)
sans scooter, rien

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
..theres gotta be a kilt wearing scootist out there somewhere...

..VIVO!...

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
..theres gotta be a kilt wearing scootist out there somewhere...

..VIVO!...

I got married in a kilt, Robertson Hunting Tartan, during the Braveheart days our clan ran with the Robertson's so we wore their colours. Could post up my wedding photos but i dont want you all touching yourselves.

I may have access to a machinist, actually.   

He should be able to take that skirt in for you then?

What?

Oh, its not that kind of machinist  :P
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()