Author Topic: Strange sound at start-up  (Read 4780 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Strange sound at start-up
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:14:51 AM »
I'm touching myself right now... What'cha wearin'
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
I got married in a kilt

..pics, please..................
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »
I'm touching myself right now... What'cha wearin'

My kilt. And i got my sporran out too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 05:43:30 AM »
I love a big sporran covered with spotted dick. (for gods sake I better be a chick)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:38 AM »
..theres gotta be a kilt wearing scootist out there somewhere...

..VIVO!...

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
Nuyce!
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
No kilts or skirts, but I found a local machine shop that knocked the boss down to 37.94mm for me at no charge. Got into a great discussion about Cushman scooters, to boot. They typically work on engine blocks and cylinders, but were very kind and did it while I waited. I'm waiting for nuts to arrive before a second attack on the vari, but thank you again for the help and suggestions!
sans scooter, rien

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
No kilts or skirts, but I found a local machine shop that knocked the boss down to 37.94mm for me at no charge. Got into a great discussion about Cushman scooters, to boot. They typically work on engine blocks and cylinders, but were very kind and did it while I waited. I'm waiting for nuts to arrive before a second attack on the vari, but thank you again for the help and suggestions!

So all you took off it was 0.06mm? I doubt you will see much if any difference from that or it being at 38mm. Mine is 36.8mm, 1.2mm shorter, would think you will need at least 0.5mm off it to see/feel any real difference at all.   :-\

Chaos is my co-pilot.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 06:20:50 PM »
It was at 39mm prior to hitting the lathe. The stock was 38mm.
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
I figured it would be best to err on the side of caution as I can return to remove more if necessary and then, if too much is removed, I should be okay to shim the boss.
I won't be able to try reassembly until the weekend at the earliest due to work scheduling and as the nuts arn't due to arrive until around then (or shortly thereafter due to the holiday) I shall wait until they arrive.
I wrote to Steve at Moped Hospital (the purveyor from whom I purchased the variator) and asked if he had incurred any such problems with installation on a Like 50 and he wrote that he had successfully (and without alteration) installed the same make of variator on a Like with no issue, though it was just after the Like had been introduced to the American market. He wondered if there hadn't been some slight difference made to the Like's CVT assembly in the production's interim.

sans scooter, rien

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 07:03:54 PM »
My mistake, i had it in my head you had an A50, just as well one of us is on the ball    ;)

Those sizes were for an Agility so if the like also has a stock boss length of 38mm the 39mm boss wouldnt be right for it, should feel better now its just under the 38mm and back to stock length hopefully. As you said you can just shave a little off at a time if it feels it could use more. Dont think i would take it down too much tho.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
No sir! Steady as she goes. I thought about it when I read in wordslinger's post 'malossi v. naraku' in the Super 9 section and he referred to the malossi's boss as being 37.5mm, but figure that a little at a time is best. Besides, they are some good folks at the machine shop.
sans scooter, rien

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2012, 02:10:25 AM »
Very productive... Can't wait to see it together.

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Not quite as productive as you, sir. That ZX is going to be a war machine when all is said and done! Progress, though...always trying to make some progress!
sans scooter, rien

wassonii

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
A bit of tentative success. I wanted to wait for new nuts (arrived yesterday) and spring (arrived this morning) to tackle the whole. Under the threat of impending rain, I got it all put together and buttoned up when the first sprinkles arrived. She started right up and I was able to drive it a little bit before the rain really started coming down. I'll do my test runs between rain showers, but had to say thank you to you all.
The lathing did its' job well. It's odd, I know, but that 1mm made a big enough difference for proper fitment. From what I have been reading around the forum, this scoot isn't the only one Kymco has been 'adjusting' in later production runs.
Och well, all good for now. I'll continue progress reports over in the Like 50 section.
sans scooter, rien

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()