Author Topic: 2008 Agility 50 rattling at speed  (Read 8213 times)

KTIzkhanilov

• View Profile
2008 Agility 50 rattling at speed
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:33:56 PM »
Hello, fellow Agility owners!

I've had my little Agility for almost exactly a year now.  It's been a maintenance headache up to this point.. but how much I save on fuel and insurance is reason enough to keep on going.
Plus, I think we can all agree, Kymcos are fun scooters.

So here's the story... The scooter is a 2008 model with 8100 km on the clock.
I've recently had the carbuerator jetted and cleaned, and the engine was replaced over the winter.

Currently, the scooter runs fine... but something is worrying me.  Getting up to speed (30-40mph) is no issue, and doesn't rise any concerns.
But when I'm at speed, traveling between 30 and 40mph, something disconcerting happens.  A rattling sound can be heard coming from under the scooter... (and this is just for the sake of clarity) it sounds like something small is bouncing around inside the engine... kind of like when you drop a piece of plastic into a fan.

Note: This only happens when the throttle is fully opened (grip completely pulled back) and the bike is traveling at speed, as described above.

This worries me, because I'm afraid if it goes ignored it could lead to another new engine!
What are the probable causes and solutions?

Thanks in advance, fellow riders

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Agility 50 rattling at speed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:20:16 PM »
have you checked valve clearences? i know i've had the same sound (or at least i think it is the same) does it sound like sticking summit metal into a fan and you get that tingtingtingtingtingting noise? but then its quite hard to say what it might be because we cant see or hear it for ourselves.
Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 08:21:38 PM »
mmmmm might be a easy fix for ya . pull the fan cover off and check for rocks or dirt.if nothing there check your rollers see if they are ok and not worn to wear they are bounceing all over. And 3 if the sound is comeing from the back of the motor check the little springs in your clutch sometimes they do come lose and well sound like that.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »
I also get the exact same thing, i just put new rollers in recently so i assumed it was them. Plan to check my valve clearances soon anyway just in case but it runs great so i think it may be just normal. I recently noticed it more since i fitted a leo vince so it may even be a small leak that when im at full throttle causes some gas to leak out under the pressure, may need a new exaust gasket. Goin to check that too on mine. Guess you had your exhaus off during the engine swap so may well be the gasket?

Know what you mean tho about it sounding like its the fan, that was my 1st thought, i just havent got round to checking that either due to all the rain we had here lately and lack of time. Will pull the cover off and have a quick look in there too, as blue said it could just be some dirt or a small stone in the fan housing.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• I live my life 0.402336 kilometers at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »
I've had the same sound on mine since it was brand new, but has gotten worse over time. It always sounds to me like it's coming from the variator. I was gonna put a new variator in anyway to upgrade and was hoping it will take car of it.

There is a previous thread on here somewhere from last year where a kid was having the exact same issue, he might have even uploaded a video. I don't know whatever happened with his case though... Might be worth checking.
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

KTIzkhanilov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 05:19:20 AM »
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Here are a few updates; it turns out the OP isn't exactly accurate.  The scooter does not run fine.
It was working earlier today, and I rode it for a solid half hour so I assumed the performance issues were a thing of the past.

I've been having these performance issues off and on since I got the carb cleaned.  When riding, the scooter misfires almost consistently... and sometimes when it does, it feels like the wheels are losing torque for a split second.
On the way home from work I heard a loud "pop" from the left of the bike.  This only happened once in the ten-fifteen minute ride home.

The rattling also got worse.  It rattled without pause all the way home.
I'm worried.  Is something seriously wrong?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 05:38:42 AM »
t sounds like a valve timing problem. Back fire thru the carb maybe the pop sound. Check that the air box hose is connected as well as the vacuum line.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 12:38:19 PM »
also check the 2 bolds that are on the top of the motor just befor the carb if they are lose and you are geting air from there it well back fire. also check for any air leaks from puting the carb back on. go threw and just tighten things up even the muffler . sometimes biolds and nuts well come lose in time and its good just to go threw the whole scoot and check.

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
I have a similar rattle on my a50 and have never checked the valve clearance... Is there a good how to or video on this somewhere that you guys have followed before? Thanks

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:10:38 PM »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:44 AM »
I have had a rattling for quite a while with my scoot, and have also have my valves set too tightly and too loosely. To me, the sound of the rattle and the sound of the ticking or tapping heard from improperly set valve clearances is quite different. It's hard to convey an accurate description of a noise through text.

Is there any way you could upload a video? I'm wondering if it's the same noise that I've been hearing for quite some time, if it is, I could surely eliminate the concern over valve clearance, it's a pretty distinguishable sound...
2009 Kymco Agility 50- 72cc Airsal kit, Uni Free-Flow Air Filter, Main Jet 120, 1500 Contra Spring, 6g Rollers, Malossi Multivar Variator, NCY Exhaust, NCY 80cc Camshaft, Cut CDI, Smooth Boss Drive, MRP Ignition Coil

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:39:30 AM »
Like a super ball inside a paint shaker?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kenho21

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 04:49:21 AM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4739.0

Kinda hard to tell cuz I'm sitting here with friends while they watch a crappy movie, but I believe my noise is the same as the one in this link, the third video down.

Soon as my friends leave I'll turn up the volume and confirm hahaha

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4739.0

Kinda hard to tell cuz I'm sitting here with friends while they watch a crappy movie, but I believe my noise is the same as the one in this link, the third video down.

Soon as my friends leave I'll turn up the volume and confirm hahaha

Sounds exactly like mine does too, guess its normal or we all have the same problem?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
..one of my first posts was concern about that rattle...

..had another that went something like ...that malossi rattle..

..later realized that it wasnt the malossi...lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()