Author Topic: how to tighten steering nut....  (Read 3529 times)

jan.strydom

• View Profile
how to tighten steering nut....
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
Some help please - I have a clicking sound when my steering centers (possible lose nut) - is there a way to tighten the nut without taking all the front plastics off......

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: how to tighten steering nut....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
Not that I know of? Sorry. Ask a dealer to check on it for you. Ask them how many hours of labor. If they say 1, there is a way of doing it without taking apart 1/2 of the bike. If they say 3/4 hours, then there's your answer, NO. :'( :-*

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »

tx - was trying for an easy way, there is none...  - went through the manual - so some hard work ahead......

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:58:51 PM »
Yes I looked at manual also. Not pretty. :-*

depi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »
There is no way to tighten it without taking the front plascitcs off. I tried  once. ;D But doesnt matter, it takes 10minutes. One thing is necessary, not to tighten it too much!

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 03:25:41 AM »
Check the speedo cable and the brake cable, they may have jostled loose from their mounts.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:37:35 AM »
Not that I know of? Sorry. Ask a dealer to check on it for you. Ask them how many hours of labor. If they say 1, there is a way of doing it without taking apart 1/2 of the bike. If they say 3/4 hours, then there's your answer, NO. :'( :-*

Never!!!  ;)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
well - took the covers off - that was easy - saw the steering lock bolt assembly and tried to move the nut after loosening the top steering nut, it moved quite a lot but did not resolve the issue - now the only other way is as per the manual to remove the handle bars completely and drop out the front shock to get to the steering bolt assembly and go form there - I put it back together again and will give it a go when I have a full day and an assistant(Son) to help - much bigger job than I thought...... ??? ??? :'(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:46:26 PM by jan.strydom »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 12:01:24 PM »
Does it steer better now that it is tightened? I may need to do this soon as mine seems to be getting a little loose? :-*

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
No - with all the movement on the nut I was sure to see improvement but it just stayed the same..... :'( ::)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
WOW! Some thing is up? Keep us posted. :'( ??? :-*

Scooter-IT

• View Profile
    • Scooter-IT
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Need new bearings?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »
Bearings are probably bad from the nut being loose
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

jan.strydom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:59:34 PM »
Ok so I tackled the job - manual on the laptop and all the tools required ready - me and my son got down to it and stripped off all the front plastics and then got the handle bars loose so that we could get to the big nut and also remove the big top aluminum bracket holding the fork and the bearings - once the bracket came off and what a job it was - using two rubber mallets, hitting the bracket and only after using some penetrating oil did it move. once loose the fork dropped down and I had to put a block under the wheel to not let it drop down to far - now what is interesting is that there was a lot of rust in the top nut area and the bottom bearing was really bad which means water gets in at the top bearing and lies in the tube over the bottom bearing - I also noticed that there was very little grease in these bearings - the next step was to check for bearing damage and after cleaning both the top and bottom bearings and the housing and the top bracket assembly i decided all looked ok and was it time to re-assemble -  I greased the bearings and made sure there was plenty to help maybe prevent water damage in the future and then put all back together - now my steering has never been this smooth and it feels almost to good to be true - i also figured that the bearing nut and lock nut was over tight from the factory causing the stiffness and lock feeling - once I was absolutely happy with the setting I locked the top nut and assembled the complete steering and handle bar - all the time checking to see if it was still moving freely  - we then assembled the plastics and double checked if all was working including all front lights and speed cluster - all was good.

It is a big job to tackle at home and would I not recommend it to anybody who don't have the mechanical skills and the right tools but I believe I have saved a ton of labor costs had I sent it to a dealer and also the amount of possible damage to the plastics and scratches to the bike........as I am 100% sure that they do not take care about the cosmetics and is the job maybe even to big for a small in-experienced dealer or bike shop.

Now I hope I don't have to do this again soon but was it very rewarding to know that it could be done at home.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:07:35 PM by jan.strydom »

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »
I'll bet you anything this was a screw up at the factory, and not a normal problem with the X500. I have never heard of this problem before, and at well over 30,000 miles now, my steering seems good. Sorry for your bad luck. At least it cost you nothing more than some grease and time. Hope this cured your problem? :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()