Author Topic: wind screen  (Read 7847 times)

TeeMon

• View Profile
Re: wind screen
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
Kymcoallan,

I'm checking to see if you were able to get the taller & wider wind screen to fit your scooter.   And if so, how is it working for you?   Does it flex too much or any other problems?

One of the links that Old Geezer posted for you to look at is sold by Columbia Scooters in Portland, Oregon.  Yours looks like the one that they sell.

I was thinking of buying one for my S 250 but they told me that I would have to trim (remove) two small hook like things that are supposed to fit in the windscreen holes at the base of the screen.  Apparently, they don't fit so they suggest to simply trim the "hooks" off of the scooter's plastic. 

I'm not real comfortable doing that so I did not order the screen until I check further.   I might end up doing what Old Geezer did - get used to the S 260's smaller screen.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »
Kymcoallan,

I'm checking to see if you were able to get the taller & wider wind screen to fit your scooter.   And if so, how is it working for you?   Does it flex too much or any other problems?

One of the links that Old Geezer posted for you to look at is sold by Columbia Scooters in Portland, Oregon.  Yours looks like the one that they sell.

I was thinking of buying one for my S 250 but they told me that I would have to trim (remove) two small hook like things that are supposed to fit in the windscreen holes at the base of the screen.  Apparently, they don't fit so they suggest to simply trim the "hooks" off of the scooter's plastic.  

I'm not real comfortable doing that so I did not order the screen until I check further.   I might end up doing what Old Geezer did - get used to the S 260's smaller screen.

That wind shield is actually made for the S 200. The S200 does not have the two indentations so the windshield does not have the holes for them. One could drill the holes in the windshield for the S250 indentations that are on the windshield mount. That way if you wanted to go back to the stock S 250 shield there would be no fitting problem.

Or better yet, get used to the smaller stock windshield like I have.. ;D

I don't know why there are not more windshield options for the S 250. They still make and sell the S250 in at least one European country and also make the S 300i for Europe which is the same as the S 250 just fuel injected and a larger engine.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:47:59 PM by old geezer »

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 01:08:52 AM »
Good question - very small choice of different wind screens for the S 250. 

The first place that I tried was Cee Bailey who make wonderful screens.  I had one on my Silverwing and have one on my Burg 400.   Unfortunately, they don't make anything for Kymco scooters.

I thought about drilling holes or enlarging the holes in the Columbia Scooters screen so that the "hooks" would fit.  But then I got concerned that larger holes migh weaken the screen.   So for now I'm going to get used to the small screen.

Actually, I have learned that there's almost no accessories for the S 250.  Luckily, I was able to use my left over Givi topcase mount and install it on my S 250.  Now I can use my Givi Flow topcase on both my Burg 400 and my S 250.

I did buy a bag from REI that can hang from the hook.  I'm able to carry my bottled water; note pad; gate opener; and stuff like that in it. 

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

kymcoallan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
Yes it is very acidic, I have searched and searched but not found a wind screen that fits both with accessories fittings and holes. Just a wind screen, I think is very, very important for the experience of "couch driving". So a great practice for it, even if it is a good machine, which now can only be run in sunshine, Kymco People S 251
Elderly man, fond of his MC Scooter

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 03:44:43 AM »
Well, I rode several motorcycles with no wind screen at all and I survived.   So I will try this scooter with it's small screen for the next few months and see how it goes.

But over the years I've learned that at higher speeds, a decent size wind screen that you can look over, really helps and makes the ride much more enjoyable and less tiring.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

kymcoallan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »
Thank you have absolutely right, I also have a small one on which
I have been filleted for. But the noise of the wind over long distances is bad.
Therefore, a larger

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 03:08:39 AM »
I installed the wind shield I order by euronetbike.net today. It's a lot taller than the one I have. I'm 6'1" and it's as tall as my head. I am looking through the wind shield when I ride now. All the wind noise are gone now. My complain is the engine noise now but it's much better than the wind noise.
I didn't have to make any modification to install the new wind shield. The US people s 250 version has turn signal on the side. The wind shield does touch the turn signal but it's not a big deal to me.

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 09:56:26 PM »
mmaxima, I hope your new screen works for you.  For me it would be too tall.  I prefer to look over the screen. 

My SH150i had a tall Givi screen when I bought it but I took it down to TAP Plastics in Sacramento and they cut it down for me.  It was much more to my liking then.  But it still had the built in hand deflectors which weren't useful in warmer weather. 

For now, I'm going to leave my stock screen in place.  Sometime in the near future I will buy a Laminar Lip and try that. They have a "universal" small size model that I hope will work on the S 250.

Amazing how few aftermarket items there are for the S 250!
Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

mmaxima

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 01:17:12 AM »
Teemon,

You can try Wunderlich wind deflector. It looks like it'll fit on any wind shield. If you don't mind to have a little scratch on wind shield, I can sell you my old wind shield for $35.

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 05:38:55 PM »
mmaxima,  I checked out the Wunderlich deflectors and I don't like their appearance or their mounting system (and they are pricey).
So I'll pass on those but thanks.   I will stick to the Laminar Lip as I've had experience with them on two of my previous scooters and they are relatively inexpensive.

I'll give your offer on your old screen some thought and let you know via priv msg.

Tony
Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

CoolSoupy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 02:50:13 AM »
That wind shield is actually made for the S 200. The S200 does not have the two indentations so the windshield does not have the holes for them. One could drill the holes in the windshield for the S250 indentations that are on the windshield mount. That way if you wanted to go back to the stock S 250 shield there would be no fitting problem.

Or better yet, get used to the smaller stock windshield like I have.. ;D

I don't know why there are not more windshield options for the S 250. They still make and sell the S250 in at least one European country and also make the S 300i for Europe which is the same as the S 250 just fuel injected and a larger engine.

TeeMon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 04:17:28 AM »
I figured that the screen wasn't made specifically for the S 250 so that's why modifications are needed. Also, someone said that it was thinner than the OEM screen - not good.

I've decided that I will try to get used to the stock screen and if I decide to keep  the S 250,  get a Laminar Lip because I will need a little more wind screen for riding on the freeways and Interstates.

There is definitely a severe lack of aftermarket accessories available for the  S 250 and most other Kymco scooters.  Should have been a clue to me but I didn't really look into that before I bought mine.

Tony M.
Rio Vista, CA (USA)
2009 Kymco People S 250
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
US Army Vet

kymcoallan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »

ScooSull

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:12 PM »
For what it's worth, I have a 2009 People S250 and bought from Columbia Scooters the taller screen manufactured for the S200 by Puig of Spain.  It is true that there are two 'tabs' at the bottom corners of the screen which preclude the clean fitment to the S250.  I brought the screen to a local glass place and they simply lopped off the tabs, and the screen fits perfectly and beats the heck out of the stock shield.  But a caution: one must be VERY careful in installing the shield so as not to over-tighten the retaining screws.  Just one extra turn of the screwdriver can produce 'star' cracking which render the screen darned unattractive, if not un-useable.  Other than that, terrific screen, and Columbia Scooters delightful to deal with.       

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()