Author Topic: OFF SHORE DRILLING SHOULD BE BANNED  (Read 7629 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: OFF SHORE DRILLING SHOULD BE BANNED
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:32 AM »
Remember the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster is the worst oil spill to affect the United States in all its history. It occurred in the Gulf of Mexico as a result of off shore drilling. Remember that and decide again if you are in favor of off shore drilling over renewable energy sources.

Facts on the Deepwater Horizon oil spill:

BP made a deal with the government that they would set aside $20 billion toward oil cleanup and spill victims.

16,000 total miles of coastline have been affected, including the coasts of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida.

Even though the gushing well was capped in July 2010, oil is still washing up on shores, which might do long-term damages to humans affected.

The initial oil rig explosion killed 11 people and injured 17 others.

President Obama announced that his administration would create a $20 billion spill response fund.

Responders used 5.5 million feet of boom, a barrier placed in water, to collect and absorb oil.

Of the 400 miles of Louisiana coast, approximately 125 miles have been polluted by the oil spill.

One method of treating the oil spill is "in-situ burning" or burning oil in a contained area on the surface of the water. Oil spills are bad, but burning is also bad for the environment.

Over 1,000 animals (birds, turtles, mammals) have been reported dead, including many already on the endangered species list. Of the animals affected by the spill that are still alive only about 6% have been reported cleaned, but many biologists and other scientists predict they will die too.

The BP Oil Spill is the biggest in American history, with between 17 and 39 million gallons spilled in the Gulf of Mexico.

Over 30,000 people responded to the spill in the Gulf Coast working to collect oil, clean up beaches, taking care of animals and performing various other duties.

Sources:

WhiteHouse.gov
USA Today
CNN
Boing Boing
Reuters
New York Daily News

-Wolf

They are in the process of approving a class action suit. Everyone that has filed a claim (in the primary impact zone) is entitled to 3.5 times their claim. That means 3.5 years of pay in one check... BP is going to spend approx 72 billion in damages. This is NOT appeal-able. Most of the local "ambulance chasers" are charging 20% to represent...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 03:23:45 AM »
Blood's in the water. Here come the sharks.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »
Humans are really bad.... :'(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2012, 04:05:05 AM »
What most do not realize is simply filing as a resident in the affected areas is automatic. You don't need a lawyer. If you are claiming lost income... You simply show your tax returns for the three years prior, and the difference is applied. Again... No lawyer. Most of the locals took the initial payment of 5g's. Some fought for more but had to sign off on BP future lawsuits. This is the future suit that will pay big time. I am part of this current suit. I actually made more money during the spill but that money is waived as "maintaining the vessel of opportunity fleet" (the boats doing the cleanup). Since I was working on those vessels, I had no time for my regular customers. So as a contractor I was enrolled automatically.
I believe BP has three years to settle on terms but the global attention has moved the date to this years end. It's pretty tite lipped right now but I do call every day for status. The Zone A parties are to be settled first. That's us here.
Maybe I'll buy the worlds most expensive 50cc/ Make it a 125cc, and waste the rest on loose women, and hard drinking. Or move next door to Vivo. I understand there is a vacant tree just up the road from his place. Either one...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:19 AM »
Maybe I'll buy the worlds most expensive 50cc/ Make it a 125cc, and waste the rest on loose women, and hard drinking. Or move next door to Vivo. I understand there is a vacant tree just up the road from his place. Either one...

It's ready.....

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 06:47:13 AM »

You could do this

*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
You could do this

:D Cool  8)

talking about engine performance not cornering ability   

You cant just jam a huge h.p engine in a car to make it go faster, well you can and do but thats no good unless you only drive on straight roads.

Not many American cats listed here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_cars

And of course they have this........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThrustSSC

Not knocking US cars of old cos they had some looks and style, just the modern crap today seems a little lame to me. I am not a fan of plastic, especially cheap plastic and i like my cars to handle well.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16:02 PM »
That I can agree with  :)

The Ford Explorer used to actually have a truck frame. Now it's this plastic crossover unibody suv crap. Oh how the mini van has evolved ;). The worst part is it's not even that much better on gas. I love Ford but for anything other than real trucks go Japanese. Nissan baby ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:29:18 PM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
My mate had a Toyota Hi-Lux a while ago and that thing was indestructable. We took that everywhere, on and off road but we just couldnt kill it, no matter what we threw at it it just kept going. We ended up naming it Satan  :D Eventually he sold it on to buy a new van for work but we still see it driving around now some 7-8 yrs after he sold it. That thing was amazing.

Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
My mate had a Toyota Hi-Lux a while ago and that thing was indestructable. We took that everywhere, on and off road but we just couldnt kill it, no matter what we threw at it it just kept going. We ended up naming it Satan  :D Eventually he sold it on to buy a new van for work but we still see it driving around now some 7-8 yrs after he sold it. That thing was amazing.

Remember the old red one that is a part of Top Gear (UK) scenery for some years now...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
Oh yeah!

They had a newer model with big tires they took to Antarctica and beat the crap out of too.

They're called a Tacoma in North America, and yeah they are great trucks. You'll pay an arm and a leg for a good used one over here. They'll go 400,000 miles + with routine service.
*2001 ZX-50 beater

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 04:45:37 PM »
Oh yeah!

They had a newer model with big tires they took to Antarctica and beat the crap out of too.

They're called a Tacoma in North America, and yeah they are great trucks. You'll pay an arm and a leg for a good used one over here. They'll go 400,000 miles + with routine service.

30.000 EUR starting price here. They have a small diesel engine (something like 2.5 turbo diesel 120 hp).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 07:43:48 PM »
Drilling is fine if done right. Obama and BP handled the Horizon disaster about as poorly as someone could. Not capping the gusher for weeks or was it months is simply unacceptable.

Oil does flow naturally from the ocean floor and winds up on beaches, just not in the amounts that we see/will see in the decades to come.

Exxon Valdez disaster still has beaches in Alaska soaked with oil, I can't imagine what this episode will bring in time to come.

Solar, wind, tide are all way to help produce energy, I say lets follow up on those sources.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
I agree, though I'm not sure the disaster's problems are connected to Obama more than BP's. The British company did a pretty sh**ty job, not only in casing the spill, but in hiding the facts and dealing with its clean up operations. Remember it was the US government that sued and won its case against BP, and even though they are now being forced to pay damage claims, the US government is still pursuing them to admit liability for the disaster:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17249033

-Wolf

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

It's ready.....

Perfect. Plenty of room for dogs...8-12 or so.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()