Author Topic: POP...My First Time Engine Quit  (Read 2221 times)

Syl

• View Profile
POP...My First Time Engine Quit
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:28:11 AM »
Started up fine as usual in the garage run it about 2 minutes prior to pulling out...rode about 2 miles slowing down for a red light on a bit of a down grade and about 50 feet from the light..."POP"....ENGINE QUITS. Good thing I was on a down grade to the intersection, coasted around the corner and having enough speed going to pull over to the right about 50 feet from the intersection. Needless to say, traffic and all of a sudden no engine. Have no idea what caused that, I use good gas, been running everyday and this never happened before. Pulled the emergency brake on, waited a few seconds, turned the throttle slightly and hit the starter and it started like nothing ever happened. Needless to say the "Pop", like a big balloon bursting, scared the hell out of me. Is there something I should get checked???

ce

• View Profile
Re: POP...My First Time Engine Quit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 03:55:52 PM »
You flooded the engine and the unburnt fuel ignited in the exhaust.

You need to quit riding like a douche before you kill that Kymco.

Fire it up and goose it hard, open that throttle and let her rip, jack rabbit starts and slam squid stops, pump that grip and hold the idle high when you're coming in to a stop, then let it go before you wind it out again.

Or just turn yer idle mixture screw out a quarter turn.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:46 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
You had a back fire. It happens sometime? If lt continues, all that is needed is a small adjustment. Maybe to up your idle just a hair? Also when riding and this happens, just pull on your left brake very lightly, not enough to put the brake on, just enough to push in the switch so you can re-start. Then hit the start button to re-start engine, and off you go. :-*

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
Thanks sissy mary for your intelligent reply, I appreciate it.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:26:20 AM »
Thanks sissy mary for your intelligent reply, I appreciate it.

Got em! Nice shot...
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:31:59 AM »

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:14:10 PM »
SYL:  I like to hear about these 500s that die.  Mine did for a while but hasn't for the last thousand or so miles.  Since mine is fuel injected I have nothing to really adjust. 

I took it to AMERIVESPA a few weeks ago.  We had trailered up the scoots and the next morning I started it after it was unloaded.  It died about 2 minutes into idle.  It was a real bugger to get restarted.  When it did, it smelt like gas.  Ran fine after that.

Don in KC.  Sure am enjoying this 90 degree cold front that moved in. 

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
I had 1,112 miles on mine when it died and it was a very hot day about 97 degrees. It occurred about 4 minutes after starting out. I have approx. 1,300 miles on it now and it hasn't happened again. I am always conscious of that now.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »
These bikes do vapore lock sometimes. If is very hot, or if it dies on you again, pop the fuel cap to let air in and it should start right back up again. :-*

darkjeep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
I'm learning a lot from this forum.  My bike hasn't died, but my old suzuki was really good at back fires.  I will also take note not to ride like a douche.  Good sound advice :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:10 AM »
I'm learning a lot from this forum.  My bike hasn't died, but my old suzuki was really good at back fires.  I will also take note not to ride like a douche.  Good sound advice :)

Especially on a Maxi Scoot... People will think you live in a Mini Pad!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()