Author Topic: My 08' Kymco Agility 50  (Read 3686 times)

ScooterMcGavin

• View Profile
My 08' Kymco Agility 50
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
Just picked up this bad boy for 500 bucks. Drove it 29 miles home right after i bought it. Its in rough shape but it made it back i was surprised and pleased. Granted i was only going 10-15 mph up hill at some points.

I did the CDI modd http://www.scootertherapy.com/cdiboxcutpage.html to it today and helped get a few more MPH but still is very sluggish up hill, looses power fast.

What it needs...

Front Right Bulb for signal blinker
Rear Brakes
Front Brake Pads
A few body plastics (already found them cheap on eBay)
Carb needs to Be cleaned
Transmission needs to be tuned up

Thinking about buyin a few things for it, heres what i have in mind.

NCY Transmission Kit
Kevlar Belt
Oil Cooler
Uni Air Filter
Fuel Filter
No Rev CDI
Spark Plug
Ignition Coil
Performance Exhaust
I eventually want to get a slightly bigger carb, not huge just like a 19 or 20mm. Would That be ok if it was properly jetted?

Pics!!

I see these things at motorcycle dealerships between $1200 and $1900 so i think i got a pretty good deal. Thanks for looking any suggestions or tips would be great this isnt my first scooter but i am new to the hobby and can use any help i could get.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: My 08' Kymco Agility 50
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:48:45 AM »
What you are doing is great. NYC has some nice kits. You may want to buy an extra OEM style belt in what ever the new cvt kit requires. If it's the same size OEM will do less component damage, and may out live the kevlar. Just saying... I still have a new kevlar, and am going to use it so... I am ordering a few bando's made oem/polyester.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »
Man I forgot... Get a 1500 torque spring. That with what you have listed Will get you 35-40mph easy up hill, and 45-50 flat. They run real nice with a little fixin up!
Without a torque/contra whatever you will still crawl for miles to get top speeds. New rollers are a MUST so I would guess yours are 8gr. Try the spring alone first. See what rpm range it runs at, and determine the desired weight from that. People waste alot of money on wrong rollers. I have 7gr DrP. sliders in a gy6, and they are = to 6gr rollers. That's w/ a spring.
Post it up as you go. It's cool to see!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
Like zombie said get a stiffer torque spring in there and some lighter rollers too. I wouldnt buy another kevlar belt again after the mess mine made when it started to fray at the edges, that sh** gets everywhere and is a pain to clean out. On another thread the other day it was decided oil coolers are a waste of time and money on a A50.

Im on a 1500 torque spring and 5.1g rollers in my A50 and that keeps my revs up nice without losing any or much top end, usual 45-48mph flats on good days, 30-40mph uphills.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »
You need new tires too, while you're still alive.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »
and double check those nuts and bolts and retighten if needed... before you wot...

check for metal cracks, rust....

or better yet... strip all, clean, check, and reassemble.

the result?....  peace of mind.. ;)

ScooterMcGavin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
Ok so the 1500rpm torque spring comes with the NCY Transmission kit so i will be getting one of those as well.

i will pass on the kevlar belt and get another OEM one.

Didnt think the tires looked that bad but i can get new ones if i have to!

I want to get some Dr. pully sliders but not sure what weight i should use? im more interested in more power up hill then i am worried about over all top speed.

I plan on Going through the scooter and making sure everything is safe and secure but i have already been running at WOT with no problems. but i do understand where the concern comes from so i will be stripping everything down in the near future and cleaning everything up. Ill have pics up soon as parts come in!

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
What year is it? Reason i ask is that newer A50's seem to react differently to tuning, dont know why  :-\

My 2008 likes 5g - 5.5g rollers, anything heavier and its a dog to ride, especially uphills. This was the accepted weight that seemed to work well and lots of folk used but recently people with newer A50's have said that less than 6g and their scoot revs too high and gets worse on 5.5 or 5g rollers ???

I have no idea if this is correct or not, its just what i heard on here in the last yr or so. Personally my Agility is no fun to ride on anything over 5.5g rollers and like i said im on 5.1g rollers now and love them. You got to keep the revs up on these scoots to get anywhere fast, especially up hills.

Think people say you tend to go a gram heavier if going to sliders to get the same response as rollers. Never tried sliders tho myself. Mayne buy a roller tuning set and get your perfect weight 1st then you can switch to sliders when they need replaced?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterMcGavin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Its a 2009 but it was manufactured in 2008. Maybe ill go with just a basic roller kit first before i go to sliders like you say. Thanks for all your help ill be posting in a week or so with new pics so check back often!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:20:37 AM »
Didnt think the tires looked that bad but i can get new ones if i have to!

Tires may look ok but are not.  They have expiration dates... check

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »
..i had the worst luck and performance from an ncy kit...

..get you a malossi multivar, a malossi 1500 torque spring, and some 1000 or 1250 clutch fly springs...

..find you an oem bando belt..

..some 5.5 gram malossi rollers, and you gonna love that lil scoot...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ScooterMcGavin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
..i had the worst luck and performance from an ncy kit...

..get you a malossi multivar, a malossi 1500 torque spring, and some 1000 or 1250 clutch fly springs...

..find you an oem bando belt..

..some 5.5 gram malossi rollers, and you gonna love that lil scoot...

where do i buy those parts>?

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Tires may look ok but are not.  They have expiration dates... check

Yep - and the production date on most OEM tyres isn't even relevant because they're already too dangerous when new...

For me it's the first thing I change with a new bike. I've found out the hard way that the depth of the threads is no indication for the amount of grip whatsoever, and also that the brand alone is not an accurate indication of what to expect. It mostly depends on the compound they use for that specific type of tyre and the age of it. For instance a Michelin SM100 is completely inferior compared to a Michelin Pilot Sport, especially after a few years, even when it has plenty of thread left...

Buy a set of Bridgestone ML50 or Michelin Pilot Sports - Your skin and tupperware (the skin of your scoot) will thank you... ;D

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »
Ive been running a set of Bridgestone ML50's for a while now, good tyres and a big improvement on stock, especially in the wet.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:12 PM »
where do i buy those parts>?

Racing Planet/Scooter parts International/

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()