Author Topic: How comfortable is 2up on the Downtown 300?  (Read 5816 times)

Rdeangelis

• View Profile
How comfortable is 2up on the Downtown 300?
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
I'd like to know people's thoughts on the comfort level and feeling secure in your seat for 2up riding on the downtown.  My only frame of reference is my Super 8 (150cc,) and while it works fine for 2up I don't find it particularly secure feeling.  The seats are built in such a way that they slide you forward at every downhill or stopping a little abruptly which is awkward for both the driver who has to keep arranging himself backwards into the passenger, and the passenger who feels they have to anchor themselves so as not to slide onto the driver.  Also not the most comfortable setup for the passenger anyway.

So can people give me thoughts from both driver and passenger perspective if the downtown 300 would be a nice comfortable upgrade for 2up compared to my super 8?

Thanks.

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: How comfortable is 2up on the Downtown 300?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:52:13 AM »
The dt seat looks comfy, tho it really depends on your size.  Custom seats can be done on the s8.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
I'd like to know people's thoughts on the comfort level and feeling secure in your seat for 2up riding on the downtown.  My only frame of reference is my Super 8 (150cc,) and while it works fine for 2up I don't find it particularly secure feeling.  The seats are built in such a way that they slide you forward at every downhill or stopping a little abruptly which is awkward for both the driver who has to keep arranging himself backwards into the passenger, and the passenger who feels they have to anchor themselves so as not to slide onto the driver.  Also not the most comfortable setup for the passenger anyway.

So can people give me thoughts from both driver and passenger perspective if the downtown 300 would be a nice comfortable upgrade for 2up compared to my super 8?

Thanks.

Even the old Agility 125 would be an upgrade in that regard, they've messed up the Super8 seat with the forward slope,
and I haven't noticed that on any other Kymco scooter.

The seat on the DT is huge and the passenger has more room to move around then the "pilot".
The leg position for the passenger is a bit ackward though, and People GTi is a lot better for that.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »
i would agree with cortez....also...i have done little two up on my dt.......as you probably know there is a spring adjustment for the back shock/wheel.....but the real issue is your weight and that of the passenger.....remember this is a 300 maxi scooter not a mc....honda shadow/with 750 cc....or even a more powerful harley.....the thing is weight and power which are factors in considering a comfortable and safe ride....the dt's seat is very comfortable......but controlling and maneuvering the scooter at low speeds is itself a skill which takes some getting use to'''''''

when the dt was first introduced in usa markets...i was taken by the cool advertising and agility of the scooter....you see two young people on the scooter....the driver a male and the ride a female...... the commercial was from tiwan.....so you see some two up skillful riding through back streets and downtown....the ride looks seamless
but ralistically...i don't thing the combined weight of the pair exceeded 300 lbs...if that.....so my point is while the seat can make any ride more comfortable....its the weight and power of the scooter that influence quality of ride when you start talking two-up especially....

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:34:27 AM »
I like it when my lady passenger slides to me in the super 8...  ;)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
i would agree with cortez....also...i have done little two up on my dt.......as you probably know there is a spring adjustment for the back shock/wheel.....but the real issue is your weight and that of the passenger.....remember this is a 300 maxi scooter not a mc....honda shadow/with 750 cc....or even a more powerful harley.....the thing is weight and power which are factors in considering a comfortable and safe ride....the dt's seat is very comfortable......but controlling and maneuvering the scooter at low speeds is itself a skill which takes some getting use to'''''''

when the dt was first introduced in usa markets...i was taken by the cool advertising and agility of the scooter....you see two young people on the scooter....the driver a male and the ride a female...... the commercial was from tiwan.....so you see some two up skillful riding through back streets and downtown....the ride looks seamless
but ralistically...i don't thing the combined weight of the pair exceeded 300 lbs...if that.....so my point is while the seat can make any ride more comfortable....its the weight and power of the scooter that influence quality of ride when you start talking two-up especially....

Every scooter will handle the weight differently..
That said, I had a lot less trouble riding 2 up on my agility 125 then on my kawasaki 650cc.

The DT300 is even better at 2up, the difference with my GF on the back seat is almost
unnoticeable.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Rdeangelis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:28 AM »
Thanks all for the thoughts.  Glad to find out that yeah the Super 8 seating it just funky, kinda stupid, but not all their scoots go that way.  So far as the Downtown not being a 700+cc machine for serious 2up-ing, the Super 8 is a little tricky at slow speeds with two people anyway, that doesn't stop me from doing it.  I don't need a serious machine thats gonna get me and a lady friend around, I have a car, but I'd definitely like for the both of us to be more comfortable with the round town trips.

Thanks again.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
Thanks all for the thoughts.  Glad to find out that yeah the Super 8 seating it just funky, kinda stupid, but not all their scoots go that way. 

I think they did that on purpose, to make you lean on the handle bars a bit, like on
sport bikes, since it is their "sporty" scoot.

'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
I might do some seat mods like this one.....

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:30:48 PM »
I'll try to write my concern in this topic instead of opening a new one. I'm a new owner of Downtown 300. So here is it:

Did anyone notice that a very good seat, when driving alone, starts losing drivers backrest support when driving with passenger. It seems that the drivers backrest part is pulled/streched back because of passengers weight. I feel it looses it's firmness or we can say that it becomes much softer. And in combination with shocks lowering the scoot via all that weight I feel I lose all back support. Me and my wife like doing big trips, so I need to find some solution. Any ideas?  :-\

Cpi Popcorn 50, Aprilia Sportcitiy 200i, Aprilia Scarabeo 250i, Aprilia Scarabeo 200i, Yamaha Majesty 400, Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »
I'll try to write my concern in this topic instead of opening a new one. I'm a new owner of Downtown 300. So here is it:

Did anyone notice that a very good seat, when driving alone, starts losing drivers backrest support when driving with passenger. It seems that the drivers backrest part is pulled/streched back because of passengers weight. I feel it looses it's firmness or we can say that it becomes much softer. And in combination with shocks lowering the scoot via all that weight I feel I lose all back support. Me and my wife like doing big trips, so I need to find some solution. Any ideas?  :-\

Need more back support when riding two-up?
Ask wife to be more friendly!....but this will cause loss of concentration.
Burgman guys buy Isuzu car head-rests and stab them artfully through the seat for a driver's back rest. They think it looks great!
(picture a lawn chair atop your scooter seat...... Well, as scooter riders, we are not supposed to give a rat's pa-toot what we look like going down the road on our big piece of wheeled plastic!)
Search bing images for Burgman back rests.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
The DT is much better one up but is doable as a 2 up ride. It depends, as metioned, with the load. 300LBS is the max I would consider comfortable for the power range of the bike. The 2nd riders responsiveness to leaning with the bike is a plus as well. These are light bikes and if the 2nd rider is fighting the bike it can spell real trouble.

I have given rides to people who refuse to lean with the bike. You have to fight them the entire time. Others, like my ex-wife, will go where ever the bike is. In this way it is just like the bike itself has gained a bit of weight.

When at 200-230 LBS at one up the rear shock has to be at the medium  setting. Even at 300lbs you will notice the rear starts getting washy at the max setting. It would be alot better with improved rear shocks for sure.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:37 AM »
Review from my pillions would be that the rear seat sucks.

It's too wide and the placement of the footrest is at an awkward angle, causing your legs to cramp up.

At first I didn't think it was that bad till I myself tried being a pillion. It was a horrible place to be perched on.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Cvitalo

• Kymco Downtown 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:02:38 AM »
I was thinking maybe to find some guy that makes custom seats, and tell him to cut the leather and put some more harder sponge underneath to make it less soft. I don't really want to put those big backrests because, even, the passenger seat is very wide, it is not to long so I think it would annoy my wife's legs in front of her.
Cpi Popcorn 50, Aprilia Sportcitiy 200i, Aprilia Scarabeo 250i, Aprilia Scarabeo 200i, Yamaha Majesty 400, Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
Given that scooter seats usually are not the lap of luxury for most N American riders. ...it does not surprise me that passengers don't want to spend hours on one either.
The French take great care of their bottoms .....maybe their scoots are the exception?
Probably need a big old cruiser bike set-up to actually be comfortable cruising two up on any scooter.
My rebuilt LIKE 200i seat is pretty comfy...but took hours to get it there.
And it looks funny.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()