Author Topic: problem restarting a warm engine  (Read 3563 times)

codger78

• View Profile
problem restarting a warm engine
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
Ater ten miles I stopped and shut off the engine for about ten minutes.  Then had difficulty restarting it to continue my trip.  I held the starter button for five seconds intervals several times as recommended in the instructions without results.  I finally got it started without touching the gas by holding the starter down for about ten seconds.   At that point the engine was racing like crazy, so I let the starer go and discovered that the engine was running.  Normally I cold start by twisting the accelerator grip once or twice and it starts right away when I press the starter button.
I was afraid to shut off the engine for the remainder of the trip not knowing if I would run into the same problem again.
It is a new scooter having run only 160km.
Can anyone explain what caused this problem and what I should do if it happens again......Thanks
borrowed dust

blue

• View Profile
Re: problem restarting a warm engine
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 01:53:15 AM »
sounds like maybe your throuttle cable is sticking.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:49 AM »
Hi, I agree. It may be the throttle cable. My scooter was running sort of strange one morning. Not revving up, needing more twist on the grip than norm. going up a short hill i felt the throttle cable break. comming down the other side I had full throttle. (shut off the key). the point is obvious. check the cable OFF the scoot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
Umm.....erase the "Like crazy" in my description....But both your suggestions would have seemed to be the only logical answer (my apologies). 
A further thought is that having (as I did ) about a half (or maybe less) a tank of gas, that the brief cooling down caused a negative air pressure in the system thereby starving the engine.......Or maybe the opposite is true for whatever reason, and the engine was being flooded.
Much thanks, you guys, for your good advice, and if you are not too p....d off at me for my gaff, I would appreciate any further thoughts that you might have.
borrowed dust

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 02:19:32 AM »
its all good .IM hopeing some day ill get help here if needed.

NicBike

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:52:38 AM »
Ater ten miles I stopped and shut off the engine for about ten minutes.  Then had difficulty restarting .......

Maybe it's the auto bystarter (electric choke) which is after ten min. ready for a new cold start.

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
Thanks to NicBike.....I finally got around to phoning Kimcousa for tech help and got pretty much the same answer.  That the autobystarter (electric choke) reengages at about ten minutes after the engine is turned off possibly resulting in an excess of gas flooding the engine and a failure to start at that point in time......particularly if like me you were to have given a couple of twists on the accelerator before pressing the starter button............So waiting another minute or two after that happens and then without touching the gas let the starter run  for about ten seconds to flush out the excess gas helps to get the engine going again.
Has anyone else had that experience?
borrowed dust

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
I recently filled the tank with fresh hi-test gas and the starting problem was greatly reduced.  Also, as I have been keeping the scooter in the shed with the lawn mower, etc. and had been filling up from gas cans of regular grade gas.  It is possible that some older and therefore less volatile gas had found its way into the scooter.
borrowed dust

pk5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 12:32:46 AM »
so I thought I had this same problem tonight, rode 4 miles to the Post Office, parked, got the stink eye from a motorcycle driver also pulling up, went inside for 2 minutes, came out, no start...hmmm....tried, tried, tried.....

Got my wife to come pick me up, and after letting it cool down, tried to start it again....she walked up, pointed to the kill switch and asked what that was?  WTF? Someone had flipped it to it "no go"....as soon as I flipped it back, scooter problem solved...

I am assuming it was the motorcycle rider who was giving me the evil eye for daring to ride a scooter? I have never accidentally hit it so far....Now I know to check the switch if it doesn't start...

Anyone else come out from a store and have this happen?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 09:00:15 PM »
no duobt newbie! i have owned 32 motorcycles (90cc-1350cc). i currently own three scooters. one is a hybred honda nc/50 west coast choppers bicycle. when i ride the scooters... you know the looks. all i do is tell anyone who will listen, to race my zx/50 100 yards for titles. i get all sorts of responses from good humor to out right vilolence. but to this day NONE of these better than me's has stood up to the challange. NOW WHO'S YOUR DADDY! keep scootin.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

punkincivic

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 01:59:45 PM »
so I thought I had this same problem tonight, rode 4 miles to the Post Office, parked, got the stink eye from a motorcycle driver also pulling up, went inside for 2 minutes, came out, no start...hmmm....tried, tried, tried.....

Got my wife to come pick me up, and after letting it cool down, tried to start it again....she walked up, pointed to the kill switch and asked what that was?  WTF? Someone had flipped it to it "no go"....as soon as I flipped it back, scooter problem solved...

I am assuming it was the motorcycle rider who was giving me the evil eye for daring to ride a scooter? I have never accidentally hit it so far....Now I know to check the switch if it doesn't start...

Anyone else come out from a store and have this happen?
I don't even know where the kill switch is located. :P
I usually don't have many problems with mine unless it's around 30 degrees. Then it takes awhile for the choke to run right.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 02:01:55 PM by punkincivic »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()