Author Topic: Supermoto scooter  (Read 4314 times)

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
Supermoto scooter
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like my Kymco Agility 125 -- a lot. It does everything that it was designed to do. It even does more - I have taken it on the freeway occasionally, and even a little offroad.

I'm curious though, lately I have been noticing how darn nice/sporty/etc./etc the Kawasaki KLX250SF (the supermoto version of the Ninja 250) looks. I think something similar (think 17 inch motorcycle tires, decent suspension, etc.) to that would be a great look/feel for a scooter. But those KLX250SF (or comprable Yamahas) are way too expensive (5k new, 3.5k+ used). More importantly, I do not need a manual transmission, nor do I need/want a high revving, fancy, powerful engine. I like the "putt, putt," sound/feel of a CVT scooter engine. I'm fine with it. I would like it would like it if someone made a scooter with a similar supermoto look. It could have a basic 250cc Scooter engine (for example, the one on the Aprilia SportCity 250 Cube). Or it coudl have one like on the Kymco Super 8 150 even - that woudl work for my commute. I think it would be really popular and allow for more cohesion between motorcyclists and scooter riders. I also think I would not need the full suspention on the KLX250SF (and save $). 

Obviously, making it available in different heights would also help it sell great. 

Anyone have a comment?

whiteknight

• ..Knight Tweed..
    • View Profile
Re: Supermoto scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22:02 PM »
i saw this....i know its a photoshop jobbie but you gotta admit...its looks real nice.

Courage is measured in how much tyre you use.

2010 Kymco Agility 72..Naraku 72cc race cylinder...Naraku 50cc race head
Naraku Race CDi...Polini free flow filter...Motoforce Racing Carb
NGK Irirdium plug...Naraku Race Variator...Malossi fly clutch
Stage 6 cnc clutch bell...1500 Rpm torque sprin

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:50 AM »
there's the Aprilia SR Motard...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I like my Kymco Agility 125 -- a lot. It does everything that it was designed to do. It even does more - I have taken it on the freeway occasionally, and even a little offroad.

I'm curious though, lately I have been noticing how darn nice/sporty/etc./etc the Kawasaki KLX250SF (the supermoto version of the Ninja 250) looks. I think something similar (think 17 inch motorcycle tires, decent suspension, etc.) to that would be a great look/feel for a scooter. But those KLX250SF (or comprable Yamahas) are way too expensive (5k new, 3.5k+ used). More importantly, I do not need a manual transmission, nor do I need/want a high revving, fancy, powerful engine. I like the "putt, putt," sound/feel of a CVT scooter engine. I'm fine with it. I would like it would like it if someone made a scooter with a similar supermoto look. It could have a basic 250cc Scooter engine (for example, the one on the Aprilia SportCity 250 Cube). Or it coudl have one like on the Kymco Super 8 150 even - that woudl work for my commute. I think it would be really popular and allow for more cohesion between motorcyclists and scooter riders. I also think I would not need the full suspention on the KLX250SF (and save $). 

Obviously, making it available in different heights would also help it sell great. 

Anyone have a comment?

Scooter cannot look like that because of engine-transmission-frame layout.

There were attempts of "alternative" design, but they were one-off attempts and usually failed on the market after initial wow effect.

10 years ago, Italjet Formula

10 years ago, Italjet Dragster

http://www.samboger.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/italjet.jpg

The same time, Gilera DNA

http://myrlogriz.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/file_12128_phpLAjdCd.jpg

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
closest you can get.... and it's Chinese... I think...    ;D

« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:36:52 AM by Vivo »

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Or Gilera Ice...

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Interesting to see all these examples.  I must admit, my ideas of a dream "ride" vary from day to day. My Agility 125 is just about right really for my commute. If I ride the correct path along the roads, the ride seems plenty plush enough. Probably no Kawaski 250 KLX SF in my near future.

Not sure what my next steps will be.  My bike is mostly stock except the Puig Touring size windshield.

* Rear mudflap: I can see that modifying my rear fender  and rear mudflap are one idea (I've heard you can cut them down -- and perhaps file and sand the edge -- to make it hang down just below the top of the rear tire). and I do like the way that the Aprilia 50 Motard's rear fender goes mainly "out" rather than down.

* Fairing: I'd also like to make a couple mods to the fairing to make it look closer to the Aprilia SR 50 Motard and Super 8 . But I do not know if ther are any mod kits. It seems they should make some thing black that slides into the sides of the front fairing that woudl make it look flaired out 2-3 more inches. It also seems that wih the right spacer, you could force the sides of the front fairing to flair out (again with the right spacer. What might be nice would a combo - add on glove box for the Kymco Agility, that also flaired (bent out)  out the front fairing a bit.

* I bought some Pirelli SL 26 130/70P 12s from Motorcycle Superstore to sport up my ride a bit, but I have not put them on yet.

* I may also add the Shock Extender to raise up the back end 1 1/4 inches to make it a little more sporty as well.

* I typically ride with my feet on the low -which I like- side passenger foot rest, with my "rear" near the middle of the passenger seat. Since I am about 6 ft, I am able to reach the ground without scooting off the rear part of the seat for every stop. :) . I think that the low, large, nonflip out passenger footrests are a nice option compared to the flip out and raised passenger foot rests on the Aprilia SportCity 250.

I must admid, my Agility "work commute" for me has been great lately - thanks to the decent weather.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 01:36:13 AM »
Fairing: I'd also like to make a couple mods to the fairing to make it look closer to the Aprilia SR 50 Motard and Super 8 . But I do not know if ther are any mod kits. It seems they should make some thing black that slides into the sides of the front fairing that woudl make it look flaired out 2-3 more inches. It also seems that wih the right spacer, you could force the sides of the front fairing to flair out (again with the right spacer. What might be nice would a combo - add on glove box for the Kymco Agility, that also flaired (bent out)  out the front fairing a bit.

Like this fairing extension....

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »
yes, I like that fairing extension a lot.  thanks for the pic. Do you have the part number or Web site that sells that mod? Maybe I just need to Bing/Google terms like "fairing extension" "fairing modification" etc. and find out what is out there."

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 10:28:28 PM »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

rxrunner

• View Profile
    • Kymco Agility 125
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
Yes, I like the Formula. But I really like this CPI GTR-180. This look is the style I am looking for. It seems the company now is CPI Motorscooters. It says they have dealers in the USA.
14 inch wheels on the one in the review. But I notice the current model in its 150cc form has 17 inch wheels.

Here is a review
http://www.justgottascoot.com/cpigtr180.htm

Here is  link to the current company
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cpi+scooters&view=detail&id=3F3B956C936039096A8EAB99613CB950CCEDFE6D

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 03:31:52 AM »
nice bike... ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()