Author Topic: Slow speed turning - "tracking" feel  (Read 1858 times)

Jevid

• View Profile
Slow speed turning - "tracking" feel
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »
Test drove a 2007 People 250. It seemed to run very well but I have a question about something I noticed at slow speeds, like coming out of a u-turn, or maneuvering in a parking lot. There is this "tracking" kind of feel to it, like the front tire is in a groove in the pavement - even when it's not. The tire looks OK to me, perhaps it's under inflated, or, perhaps that's just the feeling you get from the particular geometry of this scooter. I was curious if current owners notice this, or if it's something to be wary of. If it's just under-inflation or a worn tire, that's not a big deal to me. But if it's an indication of a bigger problem (but I can't imagine what that would be?) then I would be concerned. Thanks in advance!

skully93

• View Profile
Re: Slow speed turning - "tracking" feel
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:25:56 PM »
that's definitely how I would describe the turning.  Of course my other bike is a Buddy 150 with 10" wheels that I can turn on a dime at 40mph, so it's bound to feel odd to me.  It may also have to do with it's relatively light weight for tall tires.  Motorcycles don't get that feel because they're much heavier.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:00:01 PM »
Could be a low tire pressure issue. The bigger wheel scooters (16" wheels) ride and steer more like a motorcycle. They do not steer as quick as the smaller wheel scooters. Having rode motorcycles all of my life, I have not seen a problem with my people S 250.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:19:32 PM by old geezer »

Jevid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I pulled the trigger & bought it, the price was too good. Gave it the once over & put some more air in the tires before the maiden voyage. The front tire was 2lbs low, the back about 5. On the 20 mile ride home, it rode just fine. I think the comments about the bigger wheeled scooters handling more like a motorcycle is exactly it. The last scooter I rode, a few weeks ago, had smaller wheels and it definitely feels different. However -the bigger wheels & heavier weight of the bike made it handle very nicely on the freeway.  Also - my translations of the tire pressure from the owners manual indicate they should be 25 in front & rear - does that seem correct?

Thanks again -

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:46:12 PM »
Yeah, It calls for 25 in the front tire. I run 26 in mine. No issues.

The rear calls for 29 with no passenger and 32 with a passenger.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:48:26 PM by old geezer »

Pimpy1

• Mo Hoes Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 03:30:56 PM »
I get the exact same feeling with my 2006 people 250.  It can be a very unnerving feeling. You almost have to countersteer to compensate. Never have that problem with my 14in wheel Super 8.
2011 Kymco Super 8 2t
2006 Kymco People 250

Punk052

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:29:35 PM »
My p250 had this feeling until I changed the front tire to a 120/80/16. that size paired with 130/90/16 rear totally changed the handling of the bike for the better. the front has much better feedback and while leaning the front doesn't just scrub away when you brake or give it throttle.

Jevid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
Just a follow up to this thread. The culprit was my front tire. When  I bought the bike I looked at the tread on the tires, which was worn but not worn out, but I somehow missed looking at the "shape" of the front tire. Bottom line - it had been damaged by over inflation so had a raised ridge running down the center. This gave the tire a more "triangle" shape - and resulted in the grabbing feel in turns. Got a new tire put on and what a difference it makes. I'm a happy camper now  ;D

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
Did you get it balanced.  Sometimes when they are out of balance it will cause cupping and that will cause a wobble in the front wheel.

Jevid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
Yes, the shop that did it balanced it & gave the bike a general once over for me. The back tire has a little life left on it, but I'm having them replace it the end of next month so I'll have a new matched set   :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()