Author Topic: octane and viscosity (or..things that go bump in the night)  (Read 1549 times)

codger78

• View Profile
The driver's manual sez: "be sure to use 92#or 95# non leaded gas" ??? ???...My dealer, when asked sez "Just use regular non-leaded or what ever"....Has anyone here ever really followed this one up?

Another little bump is the engine oil which the manual sez to use SAE15W40 API: SF  ??? ???...Which in my area seems imposible to get in the quart size container......Again, when asked, the dealer sez "Just use the SAE10W40, it's almost the same thing"?

Anticipating your obvious answer, this is the one and only dealer in my area.
Maybe his advice is golden, I don't know. .....Again, does anyone else here really have a handle on this?  If he used this rather cavalier attitude about setting up scooters for sale, it might be the answer to my restarting problem posed several days ago on this forum.

Thanks for any light you may shed on this.
borrowed dust

ts1

• View Profile
Re: octane and viscosity (or..things that go bump in the night)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
92 or 95 octane sounds like ROZ octane, used in Europe, maybe Asia too. In USA more common is MOZ octane, that would compare to 83 or 85 MOZ.
SAE 10W40 (viscosity) can do everything 15W40 can do. 10W40 is still better for winter. Be sure not to use the cheapest oil, API SF is the quality (durability) and cheap enough.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:06:21 PM by ts1 »

blue

• View Profile
Re: octane and viscosity (or..things that go bump in the night)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:45:28 AM »
i have been staying with the 15/40 have had no problems yet had my scoot for 2 years now,
ounce in a while ill put a high octane gas in it ounce or twice a year to help clean out lines and jets.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()