Author Topic: newbie with mod questions  (Read 6294 times)

skebegigi

• View Profile
newbie with mod questions
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:41:50 AM »
Just picked up a SYM DD50 that was slighlty modified from the dealer.
I can reach 40mph on a straightaway, but was looking to get to 45-50.
What can I do to get there without messing with the head?  I would void my warranty if I do.
I heard the V8 exhaust is the quietest performance muffler out there.
So basically I gotta use the stock carb.
Thanks.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
Re: newbie with mod questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 10:18:54 AM »
Basically anything voids the warranty. Exhaust, BBKs, or just changing anything in the CVT. The only way you can retain the factory warranty is if you let a mechanic certified by the manufacturer do all the work. Even changing the gear oil yourself voids the warranty because you have no way of proving whether it was done or not.

I voided my warranty after about 2 months. Right after the dealer charged me $250 to change the spark plug and gear oil(break in service). My ass. I just said F the warranty at that point. Never looked back either. Only reason I go to my dealer anymore is to buy 2t oil. Of course my warranty would be expired now anyway.
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

skebegigi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:51:39 AM »
You got a pont there.  They'll charge you for every little thing.
If I opt to go on my own I want to make sure I can do the mods mtyself.  I've worked on my own cars but mopeds are new to me.
I tried looking for manuals that helps explain modification how to's, but no such luck.
Are there any websites that show how to do simple mods on mopeds?
Thanks.

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 04:36:56 AM »
You got a pont there.  They'll charge you for every little thing.
If I opt to go on my own I want to make sure I can do the mods mtyself.  I've worked on my own cars but mopeds are new to me.
I tried looking for manuals that helps explain modification how to's, but no such luck.
Are there any websites that show how to do simple mods on mopeds?
Thanks.

You're in the same boat I was in 2 years ago

Any websites? They're everywhere, including this one  :). Youtube has all kinds of videos on working on scoots.

Most of all you just have to dig in and start learning. The more you understand how everything works the easier it will be. Read, read, read. I never knew I would have to read so much to work on my scoot. And sometimes you have to dig through a bunch of pointless threads. If you do have questions just ask.

First off, you have a SYM DD50 which I read has the same engine as the Kymco ZX and the Honda Dio right? I have a ZX myself.

What year is it? How many miles? Do you know exactly what the dealer did to it?

Since your getting 40mph we can assume the drive boss has been changed out. If not that should be done before anything else.

Next, you need to disable the rev limiter on the CDI. Very simple to do. I can find instructions if you need them. You won't gain much from doing this, but it's better to go ahead and get it out of the way.

As for real mods, go for a Tecnigas exhaust. They're awesome. You can use one that is meant for the ZX. It'll work I've read. You have to increase the size of the main jet with the pipe. You'll ruin the engine if you don't. Read up on doing "plug chops". It is a method of checking the air/fuel ratio by making a runs at WOT/half throttle/idle with new plugs then checking the color on the insulator. Google it, look it up on youtube, there is much more to it than my brief description. Some people drill the jets out. It does work but IMO for a novice, just order some jets.

You also want to tune the CVT in order to get the best performance with the new pipe. Again google and youtube scooter CVT. You'll want to get a stiffer contra spring. They say a 1500 rpm spring is best to start with. Sometimes they can be measured in %. They are usually 3 or 4 steps of stiffness above stock. You want one somewhere in the middle. Then you match the variator rollers to the contra spring. The rollers come in different weights and are measured in grams with .5 gram increments. Stock rollers are usually around 7 or 8 grams. Lighter rollers = more rpms. Too light and the rpms will rise out of the power band before you reach top speed. If you get it all right, you should get at least 45 if not 50 top speed and a huge increase in acceleration.

This is probably a lot to take in right now but just do your homework and learn about it before you go and frustrate yourself. Good luck! Let us know if you have questions :)

Oh... And welcome to the forum  :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:41:34 AM by Peters »
*2001 ZX-50 beater

skebegigi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
Yeah, youtube has oodles of videos, but I guess I gotta just dig in and learn.
From what I've read, the SYM and DIO use the same motor. That's one of the reasons I chose the SYM.
I picked up a 2012 model and I've got about 700 miles.
I can't  remember what brand, but the moped came with upgraded pulley, spring, weights, and exhaust.  I know it's not the top of the line brand, since they're now pushing me to upgrade to "this and that", if you know what I mean.
I gotta say, it's a lot of info to take in, but I really appreciate all the suggestions and help in this matter,
I will definately check out the exhaust you mentioned and websites.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:04:25 AM »
and do mods a bit at a time... you might short circuit your brain on the millions of possibilities .... I started with the belt....   ;D ;D ;D

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
From what I've read, the SYM and DIO use the same motor. That's one of the reasons I chose the SYM.

Yep, a Kymco motor  ;D. You've come to the right place
*2001 ZX-50 beater

skebegigi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:40 AM »
Yup, slowly but surely . . . . . : )

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
Dont get a v8 or Tech. Get a Scorpion. Scooter alley , Hawaii   cynyo21@yahoo.com   WAAYYYYYYY more power, and real quite with the rear outlet
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »
When it comes to the ZX engine, zombie knows best  ;D
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:17:47 AM »
It's just an AWESOME pipe. Easily doubled the power from the RSII, and MUCH quieter. Even more torque than the 50mm kit/ JW Euro pipe I was running before. The Quite is the real bonus. Phongeer is a tin ass pile of scrap. The V8 is a copy of that. There are two more good pipes... One is a Taiwan/Philippines made version of the Scorp. Vivo knows the name of it, and the other is the Burial Euro Blaze. I ordered one 3 or so months ago?????? The first got lost after San Fransisco customs, and the replacement is being shipped as soon as it is made.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 03:34:45 AM »
Tencut pipe...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »
No man Not that! The one that Looks like a phongeer shape...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
No man Not that! The one that Looks like a phongeer shape...

Yup, that was the tencut 2t but you can't find them in the net anymore. They dont make 2 stroke pipes here anymore. Ten cut now makes pipes for 4 strokes. 2t tencut is a lost art...  :'(

This is the last tencut, but different kind...

this store sold 2t pipes before but not anymore....   population of 2 strokes here are less than 1 percent...

Jad pipes.....

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:40:31 AM by Vivo »

skebegigi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 04:50:47 AM »
Peters, Vivo, and Zombie thanks for all your help and comments about the mod. 
I'm still researching the web to get a better understanding of it all, so it might be awhile before I can give you guys an update of mod progress.

I did have questions regarding led bulbs.  I know led bulbs are brighter and consume less wattage but I read guys are having issues with lights not blinking, or the turn signals blinking like hazard lights.  Is there a fix for these problems?

Thanks.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()