Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 3450 times)

KentonLynne

• View Profile
Newbie Questions
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:26:36 AM »
All right -- I admit it; I'm a "newbie", having only had my People GTi 300 for a couple of months now (although I've been "scooting" for several years previous to that on a cheapo Chinese scoot).   So I thought I'd start up a thread with what might be considered "dumb" questions to more experienced riders, but are puzzling to me (and possibly other "newbies").   So to start off with, here's a couple of them.  Anyone who has an informed opinion about the answers, feel free to chime in.  And other newbies who have other questions, feel free to post them here as well in hopes of getting some informed answers:

1) The GTi 300 (unlike some motorcycles) doesn't have a reserve fuel tank.   And the fuel gauge on my 300 is somewhat unhelpful as it starts to blink "empty" with still about 1.5 gals of fuel left.  So I ride around a lot on "empty" and kind of watch my odometer to guess when I'm really getting low (like a pint left).   I'm worried that some day that I'll push it too far and end up stranded .  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a small container of fuel tucked away under the seat as insurance for that day.   Has anyone done something like this?  Is it safe to do this?   And if so, what kind of container did you use?

2) The nice thing about the GTi 300 (compared to my previous scoot) is it's a lot more powerful and stable I can easily scoot along with traffic on highways at 70mph or more.   The bad thing is the 300 doesn't really have much of a windscreen and so at high speeds (and/or high headwinds) I feel like I'm literally being blown off the scoot.   I know the answer is to get a real windscreen, but there seem to be two types of screens:  Tall ones that you normally would see "through" and shorter ones that you would see "over".   Any opinions on which are the best?   And can I expect more or less fuel economy with a good performing windscreen?

Thanks in advance to all you old-timers for sharing your wisdom and opinions!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:50:59 AM »
1) The GTi 300 (unlike some motorcycles) doesn't have a reserve fuel tank.   And the fuel gauge on my 300 is somewhat unhelpful as it starts to blink "empty" with still about 1.5 gals of fuel left.  So I ride around a lot on "empty" and kind of watch my odometer to guess when I'm really getting low (like a pint left).   I'm worried that some day that I'll push it too far and end up stranded .  I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a small container of fuel tucked away under the seat as insurance for that day.   Has anyone done something like this?  Is it safe to do this?   And if so, what kind of container did you use?

Don't do it. First off it's illegal. The container will swell from heat, and may burst. You cannot carry a vented container either because the fumes are heavier than air and will sink to... the engine. Overall bad idea. Even a back box is no good because fumes will collect... Behind you>
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
I agree with Zombie on your first question....like riding around with a bomb on your scoot...I wouldn't do it.  As for your second question, you will find that opinions will be divided.  Some people like the taller windscreens to reduce buffeting, and to keep warmer if riding in the cold.  Others (myself included) like the shorter windscreens.  This way, on hot days, I still get the wind and on the few times, I have been caught in the rain, it helps to clear my helmet.  I also still have the option to tuck in, to avoid the wind at high speeds or on cold days.  Finally, the taller windscreens are just one more thing that could (not necessarily would) hamper my vision and or distort it.  Just my opinion, keep in mind - I'm sure others will disagree.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
For the gas.  I know some wear they make a gas cap that has a wire on it that just drops down in the tank and when the gas gets low a light comes on you hook a second wire to it so you can see it on your dash board. I guess you could google it I think I seen it on one of my scooter budys bike.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
One more idea is removing the float assembly and bending the arm to calibrate it the way you prefer. Bending the arm/float up makes the level appear lower, and visa versa. I had to do this to my 4t when I first bought it. The float is easy work. Getting to it is the bit(h.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »
the only time you would need to carry extra gas would be on a long ride. but even then I would rather make it to a station.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:04:43 AM »
Boats have a thing called a "Bladder" that they use for extending the range, I'm not sure how they work, it looks like a big bag that you fill with fuel, maybe someone can make one for a scoot that holds maybe a qt./L of fuel.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:56:01 AM »
Same issue with ventilation. There is no where to carry it safely.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:20:24 AM »
I never let my tank run below half! Why run it down if you don't have to. I did carry an extra tank with me on my recent tour as there are some places you may not make it to the next station. The tank is designed specifically for this purpose. They are expensive and the only time I would use it is when I am in areas where fuel is not available.
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6128
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
These MSR fuel bottles should be able to take the heat without swelling  or letting out fuel gas (which is dangerous as it's the gas which burns). I haven't tried them myself, as there are not far to any gas station from my home. :)

Even though my bike is an agility 50, i also do the trick with knowing km/l and then looking at the odometer, and usually i'm able to predict how much fuel i have left to the preciseness of half a liter. :D

I'll let you in on a secret: As far as i know, there are no fuel reserve tanks, but the reason that there can be more fuel in a tank that it is said from the producer is that there will be fuel in fuel lines and that you will problably fill it up more than they did when they first tested it. :p
For example, i've got a 5 L fuel tank, but it can house 5,6 liters (if i remember correctly), as i fill it all the way to the top, and this might give someone who has not seperated their vehicle as much as i have the idea that the vehicle has an extra fuel tank of 0,6 liters. But an extra fuel tank is much heavier and more expensive than just making the tank a little bigger or not filling it completely when testing for the specifications at the producer, so from the producers side, it is not a good idea to put in an extra fuel tank. :D
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 02:09:16 AM »

Some people like the taller windscreens to reduce buffeting, and to keep warmer if riding in the cold.  Others (myself included) like the shorter windscreens.  This way, on hot days, I still get the wind and on the few times, I have been caught in the rain, it helps to clear my helmet. 

I don't like tall windshields.. they're not cool ... 8)   

KentonLynne

• View Profile
Re: Newbie questions (fuel reserve)
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:21 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded on the question of carrying a spare bottle of fuel around in case of emergency empty tank.    I can see the dangers of attempting something like this.   Someone said it was even illegal (??? can anyone confirm that).   The only reasonable possibility was the MSR bottles that someone suggested.   But, I had a brainstorm ... what if ... you had a little bottle or bladder (1/2 pint or so) that you could fill with fuel, seal, and then drop it into the fuel tank itself?  Then if you ever run out of gas, you could open up the tank, fish out the bottle/bladder and empty it into the tank and ... presto ... you've got another 5 miles of so to find a gas station.    Anyone ever heard of that idea or know of a product that works like that?

baddi

• View Profile
Re: Newbie questions (fuel reserve)
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:34:51 AM »
Thanks to everyone who responded on the question of carrying a spare bottle of fuel around in case of emergency empty tank.    I can see the dangers of attempting something like this.   Someone said it was even illegal (??? can anyone confirm that).   The only reasonable possibility was the MSR bottles that someone suggested.   But, I had a brainstorm ... what if ... you had a little bottle or bladder (1/2 pint or so) that you could fill with fuel, seal, and then drop it into the fuel tank itself?  Then if you ever run out of gas, you could open up the tank, fish out the bottle/bladder and empty it into the tank and ... presto ... you've got another 5 miles of so to find a gas station.    Anyone ever heard of that idea or know of a product that works like that?

1st of all, you wouldnt be able to get it out of the fuel tank and second of all, why not fill the last ½ pint into the fuel tank instead? :D
Either way, you will have ½ pint fuel in the tank, the only diffrence is just if you can use it or not. ;)

If it's illegal or not depends on your country. Here in Denmark, i can drive with 1 L fuel in an approved container, but personally, i wouldn't and i would not at all put it underneath the seat, as it gets quite hot there when you drive. Like when you've put beers down there, then driven to a party and then have 14 warm beers. Mmmmm delicious, right?
The only diffrence is that fuel evaporates even at -15 degrees celcius (been there, got it on my fingers, damn it hurts in the cold), so it will only evapourate more when heated up, and this is when it becomes bad, as this is flammable gas. ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:39:31 AM by baddi »

KentonLynne

• View Profile
Nother Newbie question (center stand usage)
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »
Ok, I've got another question that has been bothering me:   Like most scoots (and motorcyles, I guess) the GTi 300 has two "stands": a center stand and a side stand.   I almost always (even on my previous scoot) use the side stand when I park the bike (maybe I'm a little lazy?).   The only time I use the center stand is when I'm working on the bike and it's running and I don't want it taking off on me, or I'm servicing it.   But reading the (barely useful) GTi 300 owner's manual under "Starting the engine" it states:  "Place your scooter on its center stand and put the side stand up" before starting the engine.   I never even considered doing this.  Seems like overkill.   What say you all?

baddi

• View Profile
Re: Nother Newbie question (center stand usage)
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 04:50:07 AM »
Ok, I've got another question that has been bothering me:   Like most scoots (and motorcyles, I guess) the GTi 300 has two "stands": a center stand and a side stand.   I almost always (even on my previous scoot) use the side stand when I park the bike (maybe I'm a little lazy?).   The only time I use the center stand is when I'm working on the bike and it's running and I don't want it taking off on me, or I'm servicing it.   But reading the (barely useful) GTi 300 owner's manual under "Starting the engine" it states:  "Place your scooter on its center stand and put the side stand up" before starting the engine.   I never even considered doing this.  Seems like overkill.   What say you all?

Well, i have an agility 50, so its not as heavy, but i always use the center stand, as it once fell from the sidestand and destroyed some plastic.
The main reason they tell you to put it on the center stand is that if there are something wrong with the clutch or it has very high idle, it wont drive forward and fall, when on the center stand. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()