Author Topic: So,I changed the clutch springs...*UPDATE*  (Read 9129 times)

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
So,I changed the clutch springs...*UPDATE*
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:07:33 AM »
 As some of you know from other thread,I was thinking of getting a clutch,and some of you recommended I change spings first.So since I got a spare clutch with the new/used pulley set I bought,I decided to try wordslinger's method using a small flat tip screwdriver.It worked great for taking them off but the shaft wasn't skinny enough to put them back so I used a spanner type screwdriver to push the spring hook over the hole it goes in....worked pretty slick too.So after a quick few shorts runs,I'm now launching in the powerband,somewhere between 8500 to 9000 rpm and staying there until it starts to top out then it keeps climbing until I hit top speed.So now the question is,how much would a new aftermarket clutch improve takeoff beyong this? I'm just debating whether it would be worth the coin on stock horsepower? Any ideas guys?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 05:22:10 AM by dont_tread_on_me »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: So,I changed the clutch springs...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:22:31 AM »
If you are going to keep upgrading get one... If you are done... No need the OEM slips a bit but not at all on OEM hp
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
..yeah, how happy are you bro??

..sounds like a good setup, but give it some miles before you decide for sure...

..sh** has to seat....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
  Yea,I'm gonna run it while and see what's up.so far so good though.A litle better take off would be nice,but without doing any jetting or airbox stuff,I don't think I can ask for much more.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Swap out the big Contra spring, and that will change everything for the better. 1500 series usually works best.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »
 Already done that,and yes it did most definately help keep my rpms where they need to be.Thanks for the suggestion though!  ;D ;D

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
I have to replace belt soon.... 10,000km on original form 11 years ago, lol. Would that 1500 contra help a stock Super 9 lc?

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »
Have you changed rollers yet? If not,you definitely need too after that many miles.Do that first before doing anything else.One thing I have certainly learned is to do one thing at a time,so you know exactly which change had which effect.Hell I'm still running the original belt and have close to 17,000 miles on mine....lol.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:36:12 AM by dont_tread_on_me »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 04:13:07 AM »
A new contra helps every cvt bike out there. The main objective is to change the rpms that the pulleys open, and hold lower gearing longer for better take off, and much better out of corner throttle.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:15:16 AM »
how much would a new aftermarket clutch improve takeoff beyong this?

Springs make the difference in clutch operation.  If you plan to really abuse the clutch (think wheelies), the aftermarket clutches are a bit stronger - but no quicker.  If you abuse the stock clutch, it will crack near the pivot pins.  For most owners, the stock clutch with higher RPM springs will work just fine.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »
Springs make the difference in clutch operation.  If you plan to really abuse the clutch (think wheelies), the aftermarket clutches are a bit stronger - but no quicker.  If you abuse the stock clutch, it will crack near the pivot pins.  For most owners, the stock clutch with higher RPM springs will work just fine.

I saved an OEM clutch that was just about to break at the pinns. They are all bent about 3-4* at the bases. Any hi HP bike NEEDS a retainer on the opposite side to prevent this.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:41 AM »
..nina's naraku driven pulley set cant take the torque...

..gets hot and doesnt twist as it should...

..z, need a pulley set...you ever find the good one??

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:17 AM »
So far the closest one I can find is made for a HYoSuNG SF 50. It's a 110mm but the shaft size is exactly the same. I still have to measure to see what has to be cut from the cases. http://www.drowsports.com/product/181/Transmission/Other_Parts/Polini_Evolution_Torque_Driver_-_Yamaha_Zuma_Horizontal__long)/specifications
I just can't find anyone that has it. It fits the Zuma as well.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:57 AM »
..link said sold out anyway...

..imma buy me an oem a50 pulley set...

..they unrestricted and built to last...

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
Would an unrestricted pulley get you a few mphs up top on a stock unrestricted S9?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()