Author Topic: Temperature readout flashing  (Read 2832 times)

Oldocrider

• View Profile
Temperature readout flashing
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:39:44 AM »
The temperature icon and gauge segments flash on and off on my 2010 GV. some times it just heat indicator segments and sometime it's the temp icon. Sometime it's both. Former owner says the sensor was replaced by the dealer. What's causing this and how can I fix it? BTW I checked with that dealer. His answer, "I donno".

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature readout flashing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:00:19 AM »
A rhythmic flash or random flashes?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Oldocrider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi Zombi. Thanks for the reply.  It's random. Makes no difference if I'm on smooth or rough pavement. Also some times it's just the temp icon, the temp segments, or the whole temp display. All the other displays are good. The temp display lights up with all the rest momentarily when the ignition is switched on. Sometimes it works normally for a while. Could it be a bad connection on the circuit board? Maybe a cold solder joint? Hoping its not. Not looking forward to disassembling the instrument panel. I wish the first owner had been more insistent to have it made right. It only has 2800 miles on it. I put 200 of that on yesterday.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
Maybe a cold solder joint?

That would be my guess... Sorry!  I've spent many hours as a bench tech for AC Delco repairing instrument clusters under warranty. My guess is 85% of all repairs were cold solder. They are not always in the area of the symptom either. I found a lighted magnifying glass was my best tool back then.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Oldocrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:36:13 AM »
I was afraid of that.  I think I'll just live with it for a while. Just got the scooter and rather not risk messing it up just yet. I can see frying that board. Just put another hundred mies on it today.  For the first time it died at idle at a stop sign.  Had to keep a little twist on the throttle at every stop light on the way home.  Now what? Guess I need to get a service manual so I can really get into it.  Went to school many years ago for auto mechanics.  Worked that trade for a few years. So, I'm pretty sure I can fix what's fixable mechanically. Electronics - no so much.  Thanks for you help in confirming my suspicions.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »
Maybe a cold solder joint?

That would be my guess... Sorry!  I've spent many hours as a bench tech for AC Delco repairing instrument clusters under warranty. My guess is 85% of all repairs were cold solder. They are not always in the area of the symptom either. I found a lighted magnifying glass was my best tool back then.

This is the reason for most of the repairs done by our tech dept. whenever a defective product is returned by a customer. We love to fix cold solders, great profit!  ;D ;D ;D

joebillybob86

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:57:08 AM »
hmmm that might explain why the entire dash is flashing t7 on a 09 GV 250 i just purchased... has about 600 miles...  the entire display flashes out, and the red battery charging light flashes....

hmmmmm

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:55:40 AM »
Get it from a dealer? They HAVE to repair/replace it. It's a DOT law to have a functioning dash/speedometer. If not I know they are pricy... Maybe ebay

Oldocrider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 12:47:14 AM »
Bought it from original owner. He bought it new in Feb. Not sure if it is still under warrantee or if it's transferable. He only put ~2600 miles on it. He bought a big Yamaha V-Star. He's going bigger - I'm going smaller. I'm happy with my GV.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 05:01:08 AM »
The warranty is transferable according to other posters. I would not waste any time tho!

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
My temperature gauge is also blinking after i had some arc-welding done on the frame. Before welding i've disconnected and unmounted the CDI, Regulator, heater controller unit, and the earth wire that connects all the electrics and electronics to the frame. Also unmounted the battery and took the ignition key out. What could be the problem?

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 07:48:08 PM »
Rudolf,

Only had my temp icon and the black led "blocks" blink one time in 16K miles.  It occurred after changing the coolant because I didn't get all the air out.  Remove the front headlight assembly to directly access the radiator and fill it and run the motor until the thermostat opens, turn off replace the cap and top off the reservoir.

Anytime the temp icon blinks the first thing to do is pull over, turn the motor off, carefully open the radiator cap with thick rubber gloves - check that the coolant is at the proper level and then test the temperature.  Keep in mind it is possible that it tests on the low side - which could indicate trapped air is preventing the water pump from circulating the coolant.

If you are convinced the temp is normal just ignore the blinking or disconnect and install a needle temp gauge.  Not worth replacing the the instrument cluster unless it is under warranty.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:25:26 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
My temperature gauge was fried after i've done some welding on the frame. Maybe an electrical surge got up to the gauge and did the damage. I've replaced the whole dashboard, now it works properly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()