Author Topic: Rants, gripes and frustrations  (Read 5589 times)

KentonLynne

• View Profile
Rants, gripes and frustrations
« on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
Gee ... this forum business is kinda sweet.   It's interesting seeing all the different ideas and opinions on various topics.   So I thought I'd start a new thread having to do with:  Things about Kymco scooters that kind of bug you that you wish Kymco would do something about.   In other words, a growing list of things that Kymco product engineers (were they interested) could use as a source for ideas of how to improve their future product offerings.   Not that I seriously think they would actually do that (but who knows?) but at least it would be fun to fantasize.

So I'll start with a couple of mine:

1) How about a better Owner's manual.    The one I got with the GTi 300 is totally inadequate.   It's worse by far than even the one I got years ago with my cheapo internet-purchased Chinese scooter.   Among my (many) complaints:   
  • No section on how best to "break in" the scooter.   Although it hints in the Maintenance section that there is such a section, there isn't.
  • No indication of what the maximum load of the scooter is.  That seems like a downright dangerous omission.
  • Misleading information:  As in: the Clock adjustment section clearly shows an "AM" display but apparently the clock will only display military (0-23 hours) time.
  • Missing maintenance info:  The section shows how to replace the engine oil and transmission fluid (and the air cleaner and spark plug and coolant, etc, etc), but doesn't even mention that the oil filter needs regular replacement.   In fact, you wouldn't even guess that it had an oil filter to replace if it didn't appear as a line in the maintenance chart.

2) How about an accurate (usable) low-fuel indicator.   How hard can that be (on a $5000+ machine) to set up the float (or whatever system is used) so that the light comes on when there's only a pint or so of fuel left -- instead of when there's nearly a gallon and a half?   On a 2.4 gallon tank, that's not real helpful.   From what I understand, it's not at all uncommon for fuel sensors to be notoriously inaccurate on scooters in general.  So maybe Kymco could get a leg up on the competition with one that actually works.

So ... that's a start; feel free to fire away with your wish list for Kymco!

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
Re: Rants, gripes and frustrations
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
As an soon to be engineer myself, i have a couple of things that i would want to be better, but i also know the reason why the things are as they are, exept for one.

- I would like electronic fuel injection, direct injection prefered.
- I would like 4 valves instead of 2, and with DOHC prefered.
- I would like better tires.
- I would like bigger batteries.
- High power ignition coils
- Iridium spark plug.

The first two, which have to do with the engines air and fuel would make the engine almost maintenance free, as cleaning carb and adjusting valves would no longer be an issue. The reason not to implement these two?
- Keeping the price of the new scooter as low as possible.
- The kymco agility 50 are already one of the most powerful 4-stroke 50cc (only beaten by the very newest scooters which do implement these technologies) and with catalysator and the air added to the exhaust, they can still achieve the emission standarts, as they are very low for 50cc scooters, but if scooters were like motorcycles demanded to furfill Euronorm III, they would have to implement these technologies, but since they dont have to, they will do it the cheapest way.

All the other parts are parts which does not cost very much for the buyer to buy individually after buying the bike, so it is left out on the 1st bike purchase, as this will make the bike seem cheaper, than if it really had the very best parts on it, which nearly no scooters have from the factory.

But the tires goddamnit. They suck!
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
As an soon to be engineer myself, i have a couple of things that i would want to be better, but i also know the reason why the things are as they are, exept for one.

- Iridium spark plug.

The scooter, motorcycle, or car manufacturing is a "business" or money making endeavor. The first priority is profit second is the quality of the product itself. All of the things mentioned above will result to a higher priced scooter which is a no no for most scooter buyers. For a performance oriented person, yes, but for your ordinary motorist, not a priority... for now. The companies are just watching their competitors' move, if some will move to this direction, so shall they, and a little bit more. I think what you want will materialize but not because the market wants it but because the competitors are also or may also be doing it.  I was tuning cars for may years and during my younger days, I asked "If headers are so good, why not make them OEM?" the answer then was because mass production of headers is expensive and no car manufacturer either are making those OEM.  Now, a lot of cars have OEM headers. My new car has OEM headers, DOHC, Fuel injected, etc.  Why? because everybody is doing it already.

Things I want Kymco to improve.   Since I only have the Super 8, I can only suggest for the Super 8.

1.  Remove the light control switch.  My headlights turn dim coasting downhill and it's very dangerous at night.

2. A more powerful electrical system to power more accessories.

3. More durable paint on wheels.

4. Easier access to brake master cylinder.

5. More powerful headlight.  I have 2 but other single headlight scoots are brighter.

6. More comfortable seats.

7. 200cc engine

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

- Iridium spark plug.

The scooter, motorcycle, or car manufacturing is a "business" or money making endeavor. The first priority is profit second is the quality of the product itself. All of the things mentioned above will result to a higher priced scooter which is a no no for most scooter buyers. For a performance oriented person, yes, but for your ordinary motorist, not a priority... for now. The companies are just watching their competitors' move, if some will move to this direction, so shall they, and a little bit more. I think what you want will materialize but not because the market wants it but because the competitors are also or may also be doing it.  I was tuning cars for may years and during my younger days, I asked "If headers are so good, why not make them OEM?" the answer then was because mass production of headers is expensive and no car manufacturer either are making those OEM.  Now, a lot of cars have OEM headers. My new car has OEM headers, DOHC, Fuel injected, etc.  Why? because everybody is doing it already.

Things I want Kymco to improve.   Since I only have the Super 8, I can only suggest for the Super 8.

1.  Remove the light control switch.  My headlights turn dim coasting downhill and it's very dangerous at night.

2. A more powerful electrical system to power more accessories.

3. More durable paint on wheels.

4. Easier access to brake master cylinder.

5. More powerful headlight.  I have 2 but other single headlight scoots are brighter.

6. More comfortable seats.

7. 200cc engine

That was what i ment. That the price is the showstopper in almost all cases.
Try reading this rapport about injection. One of the arguments, that it is not yet standart is, that it is cheaper for the manufacturer to just put a secondary air system to the exhaust and to make a simple catalysator, but if a new model of a scooter or a motorcycle are to be made to comply with the Euro 4 standart, which will soon be demanded, it would either have to have enough power to go down in rpm alot or it would have to have a better fuel and ignition system. This can be done with technologies available, but they don't, and it kinda pisses me off, that such high quality scooters as kymco doesn't go the last step and provides these technologies.

And not even the tuning producents make 4 valved DOHC for 50cc scooters. The big engines get all the fun.  >:(

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:35:11 AM »
Bitch bitch bitch  ;) ;D

Deal with it or spend twice as much money for another brand  :)

Vivo, the reason your headlights dim during low rpms is because you have so many accessories. They design the electrical system for the factory accessories. That's it. Why would they do more than needed? Buy a bigger battery for all your lights. Even better go LED. Simple fix there.

User manuals tell you absolutely nothing. IMO Kymco service manuals are excellent. Can be downloaded for free too  ;D. Should be able to find weight limits online no problem.

Fuel injection would be nice but we would have to pay for it. Aprilia makes a fuel injected 2t 50. The price shows too.

The tires do suck  ;D

What type of engineering baddi? Mechanical?
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
Bitch bitch bitch  ;) ;D

Deal with it or spend twice as much money for another brand  :)

Vivo, the reason your headlights dim during low rpms is because you have so many accessories. They design the electrical system for the factory accessories. That's it. Why would they do more than needed? Buy a bigger battery for all your lights. Even better go LED. Simple fix there.

User manuals tell you absolutely nothing. IMO Kymco service manuals are excellent. Can be downloaded for free too  ;D. Should be able to find weight limits online no problem.

Fuel injection would be nice but we would have to pay for it. Aprilia makes a fuel injected 2t 50. The price shows too.

The tires do suck  ;D

What type of engineering baddi? Mechanical?

I am on a technical gymnasium, which is the state just before the engineering education, so i haven't really decided yet. It must be something about optimising stuff and getting it to use its energy better, so i have thought about everything from houses over windmills to spacecraft, but since my scooter and general motor interest have gone from slightly interested to deeply enthusiastic to the point where it almost defines me, i think about engineering something that have to do with cars, motorcycles or scooters.
Are that what a mechanical engineer do? Because then thats problably the way i'm going to go ;)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:49:45 AM »
Are that what a mechanical engineer do? Because then thats problably the way i'm going to go

Yep  :)

At least that's what it is here  :-\

I'm getting an associates degree in mechanical engineering with CAD option. Basically drafting and design. I like to get my hands dirty too. Depending on where I end up working that might just have to be a hobby  ;D
*2001 ZX-50 beater

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:11:13 AM »
Yep  :)

At least that's what it is here  :-\

I'm getting an associates degree in mechanical engineering with CAD option. Basically drafting and design. I like to get my hands dirty too. Depending on where I end up working that might just have to be a hobby  ;D

Yeah, it seems like engineers only design the parts and do the calculations of it all and not often really get to see the result. :p

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 02:19:32 AM »
That was what i ment. That the price is the showstopper in almost all cases.
Try reading this rapport about injection. One of the arguments, that it is not yet standart is, that it is cheaper for the manufacturer to just put a secondary air system to the exhaust and to make a simple catalysator, but if a new model of a scooter or a motorcycle are to be made to comply with the Euro 4 standart, which will soon be demanded, it would either have to have enough power to go down in rpm alot or it would have to have a better fuel and ignition system. This can be done with technologies available, but they don't, and it kinda pisses me off, that such high quality scooters as kymco doesn't go the last step and provides these technologies.

And not even the tuning producents make 4 valved DOHC for 50cc scooters. The big engines get all the fun.  >:(

Yup. In our country, Yamaha is the first to introduce a higher tech model (Yamaha Mio MX 125). the price is 95,000 pesos and it's not even fuel injected yet. A Kymco Super 8 125 (my ride  :D) is 64,000 pesos.  ;D ;D ;D    Yamaha is just feeling the waters because a fuel injected model might jack up the price to more than 100,000 pesos. That's a lot of money for an ordinary citizen. As of to date, the Mio MX has a very low sales...  it's lower priced siblings, the Mio Soul and Nouvo are still getting good sales.

Yamaha Mio MX 125 Water cooled, Diasil, High compression.

@Peters

Nope sir, the Super 8 has a light control module that lowers the headlight voltage to 7 volts when rpm is low or for example you are idling, to conserve power, the factory says. When you rev, the lights becomes normal. And I don't have any accessories by the way. This is the complaint of ALL Super 8 owners here.  What they do is by-pass the module to prevent dimming. I did not do this but instead installed an LED fog light.

The light control module...

by-passing the module... 

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:29:11 AM by Vivo »

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
Just depends...

For me... I doubt I'll be a part of product development... Not in an entry level position anyway. A lot of drafting these days is construction and civil engineering. Developing vehicles and things like that are done with CAD/CAM.

Most likely I'll be sitting in front of a computer all day drawing a building or buildings. I don't mind it though. I start a drawing and before I realize it a few hours has gone by.

Nope sir, the Super 8 has a light control module that lowers the headlight voltage to 7 volts when rpm is low or for example you are idling, to conserve power, the factory says. When you rev, the lights becomes normal. And I don't have any accessories by the way. This is the complaint of ALL Super 8 owners here.  What they do is by-pass the module to prevent dimming. I did not do this but instead installed an LED fog light.

Gotcha  :)
*2001 ZX-50 beater

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
Just depends...

For me... I doubt I'll be a part of product development... Not in an entry level position anyway. A lot of drafting these days is construction and civil engineering. Developing vehicles and things like that are done with CAD/CAM.

Most likely I'll be sitting in front of a computer all day drawing a building or buildings. I don't mind it though. I start a drawing and before I realize it a few hours has gone by.

Gotcha  :)

I'm in product development  ;) and I love it! thinking, conceptualizing, surfing the net, testing, evaluating, packaging...   ;D

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
..I love my kymcos...

..The Super9 also has dimming headlamp...very frustrating..

..makes the people in front of me think i'm flashing my lights at them if I hit the brake...

:-\

..and there's always someone in my way!!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 02:14:12 PM »
Don't think the ppl does it. My headlight has started to dim slightly on decel. I attributed that to the fact the battery is more than 2 years old now. Didn't used to do it. Never have trouble starting though  ???
*2001 ZX-50 beater

baddi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:16:36 PM »
Don't think the ppl does it. My headlight has started to dim slightly on decel. I attributed that to the fact the battery is more than 2 years old now. Didn't used to do it. Never have trouble starting though  ???

Isn't the headlight usually getting power from the stator?

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
I think you're right baddi
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()