Author Topic: Does this tire look OK to you?  (Read 1062 times)

Jevid

• View Profile
Does this tire look OK to you?
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »
New scooter owner here. This is on my 2007 People 250. I don't know for sure what shape the front tire should be, but this doesn't seem right to me. I would have expected more of an even curve, not the "bulge" you see here. This is new to me so I'd appreciate any input. I'm putting in two links to some photos, not sure if that's the best way to share or not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jenqm7sunicd74t/2012-07-15%2017.14.40.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfhfqcyftdr3wn2/2012-07-15%2017.13.21.jpg

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Does this tire look OK to you?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
Doesn't look ok to me!
What's the brand/type of tire, how does it look when new?
Is it over inflated and has a crack in the middle?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
It looks over-inflated to me  :-\  What pressure do you inflate them to?

Or is it just a weird shaped tyre from new  ???
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Jevid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
Kymco says for one person, the tires should be 1.75 kgf/cm2, which translates to 25 PSI, which is what I have it inflated to. I posted in another thread, but I notice that when I turn, depending on the circumstances - I get this sort of "grippy/tracky" feeling. I'm wondering if it isn't related to this. A new front tire doesn't seem that expensive, so perhaps I should just go ahead and get one. Now I just need to find someplace to install it :)

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it -

InAFog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:29:15 PM »
So, how old are the tires on the bike? Our lives depend on two contact patches less than the size of a bar of soap! Tires are the LAST place to scrimp and our second (after sight) line of defense. 25F/29R is common pressures for a lot of scooters but you should always consult the tire first or the manual or the dealer for correct pressures. Just put the BEST tires on F/R you can afford and ride on! Depending on the size of the tires I think most Honda dealers will mount tires for free if you buy them there (figure out the cost difference, it's usually not much more to go that route). I don't think you have to stick with "OEM" brands, either. My2c Ride Safe!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:33:59 PM by InAFog »

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:26:18 AM »
i over inflate...a bit.....but nothing like this......don't mess around....get a new tire......asap...

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:46:15 AM »
Agreed... that doesn't look normal
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:42 AM »
DO NOT RIDE THAT TIRE! That is a separation of the center tread from the poly belts inside. That tire is about to have a blowout.
Do you keep the bike on asphalt? Or someplace with chemicals on the ground?  That is usually caused by riding under inflated for a lONG time or chemicals soaking in to the rubber,
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()