Author Topic: 2012 Olympics  (Read 4848 times)

Vivo

• View Profile
2012 Olympics
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:07:43 AM »
The 2012 Olympics will cost around $16,000,000,000.00

Waste of money?

That's a lot of food for the hungry and shelter for the homeless. Medicine for the sick....

What has it achieved? We have a lot of olympic medalists living in poverty....

Your opinion guys....  $16,000,000,000.00!!!! damn!!!

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »
Totally bore and a total waste of money. I have no problem if some private company wants to organise and pay fully for any event like this but this crap is costing the taxpayer a fortune over here. Nobody will really benefit unless you live in london, the security has been a shambles so now the army and police will be providing thousands of men and they have gun batteries set on tower block roofs to "shhot down terrorist planes before they hit central london". Great, they dont want terrorists flying a plane into central london but shooting it down over the outskirts of london and letting it crash into homes and building there is ok?

At a time when the world is in recession, millions around the world are starving or living in poverty and folk are dying around the planet because they cant afford medicines or care, i think we ought to get our priorities right.

"Jeez man, look at all the starving, sick kids in Africa/Asia/Europe/the US, thats terrible we should do something to help out"

"Yeah, in a minute. Look i can run real fast, and i can jump real far too, and im good at throwing stuff pretty far. Bet i can beat you"

Its all b.s to distract us fom our mudane pointless existance and keep is working for the man and consuming his worthless chinese imported goods.  :)

No im not a fan of the olympics, can you tell?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
No im not a fan of the olympics, can you tell?

Neither am I Sir, neither am I....  the gold medals are not even made of gold!  ;D ;D ;D

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
the gold medals are not even made of gold!  ;D ;D ;D

I heard they were chocolate coins wrapped in gold tin foil?  ;D

Its really doing my head in this time. Being Scottish and anti-monarchy and anti-british i hate all this flag waving sh** going on. We got butchers aprons (union jack flags) flapping about everywhere you look and its all "team GB"....... There is no f***in GB, we all hate eachother and theres nothing Great about Britain (apart from the NHS). Im lucky to be flying out on holiday next fri when it all starts so i wont have to suffer english tv stations endlessly telling me how fantastic it all is.

f*** the queen and her jubilee, f*** the olympics and f*** team GB. Sooner it over the better in my book.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »
I guess the real question is how much is spent on feeding the poor and homeless Vs. the money spent on the Olympics? I can only say that if one feels that strongly about the disproportionate amount of money spent on the event, one can do their part to help where one thinks it's needed through donations or volunterring.

I personally have no problem with the Olympics as an event until it does start to have an affect on the host country's society. For the Beijing Olympics thousands of peoples homes were demolished to make way for new buildings and venus. Buildings are created that then fall into disuse after the event.
This seems to be a major problem and trend that doesn't seem to be considered by any of the host countries.

I'm an avid fencer (foil and epee) and I've recently taken up archery. The fencing team that I couch will be watching the men's and woman's fencing events, and I'll try and catch the archery tournaments as well. I think someone once said that the only thing most countries do together is go to war, unless it's sports. I think in this case I prefer the latter.

-Wolf

P.S -- Go Scotland (though I do have a soft spot for Wales).

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:38:16 PM »
P.S -- Go Scotland (though I do have a soft spot for Wales).   

Maybe thats my problem, being Scottish we are not allowed to have a team of our own, they insist on lumping us all together with Wales, Northern Ireland and england and calling us Team GB  :-\   

I am Scottish, not british.

If they did away with wars etc and settled it on the playing field instead of the battlefield then i would def be in favour of that, 100%.

What gets me is some of the "stupid" events now included too tho. Things like synchronised swimming? Ice dancing? Etc, etc are not even real sports in my view. Sure they are physical and req a degree of training and skill but to me they are more hobbies or interests than actual sports. Also things like the basketball where the US sends a team of pro's over to compete? Suely it was always more a an amateur competition? When did all this happen?

Obviously they need to update and tweak certain things over the years away from the original games but i just feel its become more a matter of "whats "hot" right now?, hmmmmm well stick that in then his time, we can bin it for the next olympics".

I fully expect London 2012 will lose money, the gov will try make it sound a huge success story but they cant really do much else can they? They def wont say it cost them, well not unless they can pin it on the opposition party.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:19:17 PM »
I have no problem with synchronized swimming. I try to swim laps 3 times a week to stay in shape, but considering that I swim like a loaded dumpster I can appreciate any sport that requires one to tread water in a controlled and metered fashion. It may not be as manly as water-polo, but I know I can't do it. I'm not sure what the difference between ice dancing and figure skating is though, sounds too subtle. Maybe it's skating's version of softball compared to baseball. 

I guess if you don't like it don't watch it. Many can say the same for Hurling, or Nascar too. I think pros began to play when the Soviet Union used to load their teams with profession players who would dominate over the other amateur teams. I'm more opposed to teams putting in younger players like the Chinese did with their gymnastic teams with fake passports to prove their age when it was pretty clear that they were younger than they said they were.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that they don't call it Team UK instead of Team GB -- that would piss me off too. I'm waiting for paintball gunfights to become an Olympic sport. Can you image France Vs. UK? Scotland Vs. England? US Vs. China? As close to a safe war as you can get.

-Wolf

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
Well technically there is no UK either since all nations within the UK are far from United. Come 2014 if we get our independence then we will have a Scots team next olympics.

While i can appreciate the althletes/competitors skill and effort i still think many events are not really in the spirit of what the olympics ce from or meant. Wish i could switch off but it going to be on most channels, all day every day, inc the news, since its on over here. Like i say tho,  luckily i will be laying on a beach in Menorca next fri so will miss a good bit of it.

Scotland vs England? Yes please  :D I normally support ABE (Anyone But England)  :)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

• 09' Peoples 200, NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Follow the money man, that's what it's all about. My buddy gets this contract my buddy gets that contract Micky dee's gets an exclusive on French fries and I get a new summer home someplace exotic.

TV contracts, commercials, lodging, etc.... that money flows and they skim off the top.
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties either expressed or written and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use, the author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
Follow the money man, that's what it's all about. My buddy gets this contract my buddy gets that contract Micky dee's gets an exclusive on French fries and I get a new summer home someplace exotic.

TV contracts, commercials, lodging, etc.... that money flows and they skim off the top.

Yeah and i just found out today that the olympic site has been declared a tax haven so all foreign business pay no tax to the gov on ANY and ALL profits made  ???

Wtf!!! How is this going to bring cash into the country exactly? All we hear is how much money it will generate and how great it will be for the economy yet the big corps pay zero tax. Typical. At least people power has forced McD's to pay up, hopefully others will follow under the pressure.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/18/mcdonalds-decline-london-2012-tax-break?newsfeed=true
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »
Sounds pretty FUBAR. Striedo, too bad you didn't do a house swap. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the USA who'd love to go to Scotland even if the Olympics are in England. You could make some pretty good money I'm sure.

Enjoy your vacation.

-Wolf

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:50:33 AM »
I guess the real question is how much is spent on feeding the poor and homeless Vs. the money spent on the Olympics? I can only say that if one feels that strongly about the disproportionate amount of money spent on the event, one can do their part to help where one thinks it's needed through donations or volunterring.

I love to donate and volunteer but it also takes extra time any money to do so..which I don't have...

and if ever one does.... you can't beat 16 trillion dollars....

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:00 PM »
We need to have a scooter Olympics. Is it possible to do an Online Scooter Gymkata?

Online scooter game

http://www.scootergames.co.uk/play/19/gilera-runner.html

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen  ;)
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 12:48:37 AM »
 Possibly the gayest thing I've ever seen ;)
Possibly the gayest thing you've ever seen, until now..........
Chaos is my co-pilot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()