Author Topic: newby rattle at speed  (Read 3683 times)

skippy

• View Profile
newby rattle at speed
« on: July 25, 2012, 01:31:02 PM »
hello every one. had a agility 50 for 3 months now. been cheaky and followed all the threds now for months. thought it was time jo join.
 first of all thanks to all on here. you have all helpt with out knowing. when i started i knew nothing about bikes. always had cars. but after 3 months or so have learnt and done just about all i can. i think.
 i live in the uk. bought a kymco agility 2010 for £250. god it was slow. after a wile on hear bought a sports cdi changed the variator to a cheep one as it was cheeper to by compleat rather than the boss on own. used just the boss and kept rest as spair. changed the jet to 82. cleaned the carb out. nothing els done . now on flat it gets 40 to 45 mph but to speado so not true speed. down hill 50. up hill 30. a bit pants but maybe will change the clutch springs etc in time. or take my cbt then get an 125cc on l plates.

now this is why i message for help. at 45 to 50 it rattles like hell.( lots of post hear say there agilitys do the same) sounds like something hitting a fan. also red a thred sailng maybe the variater moving closer and was out of ballence .and the flywheel fan was then out of ballence vibrating  and hitting couling. just would like to know how many people have this problem and what they do about it. should i just carry on full throttle or ease of as i do keeping it around 45 and no higher.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: newby rattle at speed
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
We were talking about this the other week im sure.

Mine rattles, always has done on high revs. I cant hear it so much now tho, my Leo Vince and open filter block it out  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
lol well does that not defeat the object. still if you cant hear  or see a problem it cant exsist. like your logic.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
You've used the variator boss from a cheap set with the OEM variator....

Did you check if it had exactly the same diameter ?  (Within 0.01..0.02mm, if you don't own a decent caliper you can also compare the play of both bosses in the OEM variator, if one of them is a bit smaller or larger it will feel a bit loose or tight compared to the other one)

I own a set (NCY OD2) of which the boss (which fits just fine in the NCY variator) is slightly smaller than the OEM one, and this also rattles inside an OEM variator....

I guess some (especially the cheap) manufacturers use diferent tolerances or may even select fitting sets from different batches with high error margins..

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
could be but does not seem any diffrent. ebay link Item number: 150588010099. all seemed the same but new variator was heaver. so used old and just the boss. boss is a little smaller in length but same bore .

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »
lol well does that not defeat the object. still if you cant hear  or see a problem it cant exsist. like your logic.

I used to worry about it but its always had it since derestricting and that was over 12,000km ago. Been fine and never had any issues so i guess its "normal" on A50's.

When it was asked before i think almost everyone who replied said theirs was the same so i dont worry about it now. Still like to kniw what it is but its maybe just one of those mysteries of the universe that has no answer  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
could be but does not seem any different. ebay link Item number: 150588010099. all seemed the same but new variator was heaver. so used old and just the boss. boss is a little smaller in length but same bore .

Well, obviously "seem the same" is not equal to "are the same".... And you say "same bore" - are you sure - and did you measure it with an accurate tool in the right way ?

A difference that can't be seen without a tool like a good quality caliper or micrometer can easily be enough to make something rattle a whole lot more... And when a manufacturer says that some part is 20mm, they mean that it's 20mm plus or minus the error that _they_ think is acceptable....

its maybe just one of those mysteries of the universe that has no answer

A systematic approach, and habits like measuring things makes a lot of those mysteries go away in my universe  ;D

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
I know my derestricted boss is bang on cos i used a micrometer on it when i shaved it down shorter to check all sizes. Meter has a tollerence of +/- 0.02mm and it measured exactly with my old stock boss. Made the same noise on that boss too.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Seeing these scoots are made to do only 30 to 35 I beleave when you tune it to go faster you are going to hear some kind of noise from doing so. when Im going down hill and doing 50 I can feel the belt hiting the top of the kick start cover.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »
Seeing these scoots are made to do only 30 to 35

They are not... The variator is designed for the smooth boss, and with that it will do about 40mph @ 7800rpm.

The restricted boss is just an option...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 06:56:12 AM »
Listen to Mono... I think he is spot on right. The Var should have ZERO wobble on a good set. If yours is Slightly worn (which it is), and the boss is Slightly smaller (which it may be) your eye balled Specs. are out the window. Try the new Var to test it out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 07:09:11 AM »
...and welcome to the forum   ;D

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »
They are not... The variator is designed for the smooth boss, and with that it will do about 40mph @ 7800rpm.

The restricted boss is just an option...

Im just saying the more mods you do. The faster the parts we use well brake down faster Its extra wear and tare on the scoot. yes the scoot can handle it fine but be ready to repair quicker.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »
Yes, that's generally true...

But the smooth boss is not a "fast part"...
The engine was designed with this part in mind, and it will even wear less because of the lower rpms at cruising speed...

The restricted boss is just a very crude and cheap way of restricting these scoots to meet regulations and for the rest it's no good at all. If the market for restricted scoots was large enough and the average quality of the competing manufacturers high enough, then you would not see such a compromise for restriction in any scooter (except for the cheapest probably)...

acrab78

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
Scooter restrictions suck....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()