Author Topic: tuning  (Read 5150 times)

skippy

• View Profile
tuning
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
does an open air filter realy do anything?  i know in the world of cars open filters and exhausts add bhp but do they do anything on a scoot? just seems hard work and expencive for not much gain.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:21:39 PM »
Yes!! An open air filter, along with carb tuning, is the best "engine" mod you can do!...

..expensive??..you can do the whole thing for about $40.00..

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
sorry i ment exspencive with exhaust. i ask because every one is getting about 40 to 45 mph derestricted. so what will open filter and corect jetting make . or is it more  accelerate speed?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
..oem exhaust will work fine..

..yup, makes scoot more responsive...

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
mmmmmm ok so sounds like the next job then. whats a good filter and round about what size jet should i try?

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
..oem exhaust will work fine..

..yup, makes scoot more responsive...

I have to slightly disagree  :-\

Tbh i cant say i got much, if any, difference apart from the noise. Took me ages and a lot of jets and new plugs to get it set up perfect, which it is now, but i cant feel any real noticable improvement, certainly didnt get a "wow" factor from it that i hoped and i run with a Leo Vince too. If anything i maybe gained a little acceleration and it feels very slightly better from 25-35 but nothing to write home about for me, and it could all be in my head cos it sounds more sporty.

Main reason i left it on was just cos it looked nicer and cleaner than the huge plastic stock air box. Be prepared for lots of trial and error and swapping of jets to be sure its running not too rich or lean. If you have the time and patience to get the jetting correct and prefer the clean look then go for it, if you expect a big imrovement tho i wouldnt bother. Dont think these 4-strokes really benefit much at all from it myself.

Also be prepared for issues in the wet unless you fab up a cover for it. The one i got had a rain cover over it but i still broke down this week in heavy rain, had to end up cutting up a coke bottle and using that as a cover to get home, worked well tho so im still using that till i can make a decent cover up.

It aint pretty but it works  :D

« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:17:31 PM by streido »
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
..i knew you were going to say that!!

;D

..eveery scoot does respond differently to equal levels of mods...

..for me, the K&N opened my a50 up..acceleration was quicker, and i gained top speed...

..i didn't have any great trouble jetting, tho...so the frustration level was waaayyy lower...

:o                                 

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
lol see this is what all these threds say some people say yes, some say no.  and as for the bad weather and rain efecting the proformance of the filter. i live in the uk. lol always rain.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
lol see this is what all these threds say some people say yes, some say no.  and as for the bad weather and rain efecting the proformance of the filter. i live in the uk. lol always rain.

Im in Glasgow, so im used to riding in the rain too  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
..i knew you were going to say that!!                                

No you didnt  :D

Think a lot of it has to do with our climates, here it varies day to day so perfect jetting one day can be just a tad too rich the next. Thinkihave the best balance i can get on the 92 main jet. I will say since i took off the plastic cover that came with it and fitted my own temp creation it does seem to rev a little higher now so maybe the old cover was resrtricing the airflow a little. I was even thinking of going up 0.2g on my rollers on the way home tonight so i may try that soon. On holiday Fri so be away for a week, maybe try it once im back. I may just be over the ideal powerband.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »
streido what setup are you on and what are you getting out of your scoot.
as you have sim climate as my self what have you found that works?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »
streido what setup are you on and what are you getting out of your scoot.
as you have sim climate as my self what have you found that works?

2008 model, 22,500km on it, new stock belt, race variator with 5.1g rollers, shortened smooth boss (36.8mm instead of 38m long), stock clutch with drilled out bell, 1500rpm torque/contra spring, 1500rpm clutch fly springs, 92 main jet, k&n type filter.

Gets me beat good acceleration right thro, on wet days 42mph flats, 45-48mph downhill, 30-35mph uphill. On dry days 45-48mph on flats, 50-52mph downhill, 30-40mph uphills, unless its a monster hill then it will drop to 25-30mph up it.

Recently a few people have said below 6g is too light on 2011-2012 A50's. Far as i know Kymco didnt change anything so i dont know......cant speak for them, all i know is what worked/works for me.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
..yeah streido bro..i did..   ;D  ...when i was typing it i said to myself, "Self, streido aint gonna go for this...."

..i think you and skippy will have similar results...

:o

..take skippy uinder your wing...lol...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 07:04:41 AM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:00 AM »
I have to slightly disagree  :-\

Tbh i cant say i got much, if any, difference apart from the noise. Took me ages and a lot of jets and new plugs to get it set up perfect, which it is now, but i cant feel any real noticable improvement, certainly didnt get a "wow" factor from it that i hoped and i run with a Leo Vince too. If anything i maybe gained a little acceleration and it feels very slightly better from 25-35 but nothing to write home about for me, and it could all be in my head cos it sounds more sporty.

Main reason i left it on was just cos it looked nicer and cleaner than the huge plastic stock air box. Be prepared for lots of trial and error and swapping of jets to be sure its running not too rich or lean. If you have the time and patience to get the jetting correct and prefer the clean look then go for it, if you expect a big imrovement tho i wouldnt bother. Dont think these 4-strokes really benefit much at all from it myself.

Also be prepared for issues in the wet unless you fab up a cover for it. The one i got had a rain cover over it but i still broke down this week in heavy rain, had to end up cutting up a coke bottle and using that as a cover to get home, worked well tho so im still using that till i can make a decent cover up.

It aint pretty but it works  :D

Looks like Dr. No in the James Bond movie..... Lol!!  ;D ;D ;D

we have lots of rain here so I'll stick to OEM....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()