Author Topic: Kymco 2009 People S 250 or Super 8 150 (or maybe a 2012 Like 200i)  (Read 1812 times)

grasshoppa

• View Profile
Hi all,

New here. Wondering if I could get some advise, criticism by some unbiased people (hopefully..)  ;) 

Spent hours researching scooters, from Honda to Piaggio, and now I've finally narrowed down that I can honestly afford (and swayed by a better warranty) a Kymco. My choices within my budget are: 2012 Like 200, 2010-2012 Super 8 150, 2011 Yager, and now either a new (un-ridden) 2009 or 2010 People S250. Yager is sold at limited dealerships here in Los Angeles. There is however a super 8 150 for 2499 MRSP and the people 250 at a dealer slightly further away for 3477 OTD.  I'm out weighing the Like because it's similar priced to the People (People has about 80cc more).

I'll be using the ride for minor errands, and for my commute to work - where getting to the front of the line can easily shave off 30min of traffic each way for me. Some specs on myself - 5'8 & 135 lbs give or take, had a 50cc moped from 15-18 years of age (in Sweden), so I feel experienced.. Also rented a scooter in Bali for a week and survived the mass scooter mayhem - the ultimate scooter-haven if anyone makes it there... ;)

So my questions:

Is a carb. engine more reliable (on people or like) vs.  ie. yager FI - What are perks really than better mpg, is it worth being one of the deciding factors for me?
The People, would you recommend it for lane splitting vs. ie Super 150 (i know the super is slimmer, but the pics seem to make the people a bloated scooter vs the Like or Super)
If I'm mainly driving in the city with limited freeway usage (unless I'm riding in the far right lane and for a few exits duration), how would you rank my selections from best -> worst - stability wise and acceleration wise.
Which of these (excluding the Yager) hits 30 or 60 from standing still (no incline).
Does the Like shake at consistent high speeds, or the People (being wheels are too small, or too bouncy/big)?
With the People - Can i make u-turns with ease, or navigate easily through cars at stop lights.
Head lights - is the Super 8 and People sufficiently lit-up? Or should I consider changing bulbs?
I'm considering a full helmet, will it fit in the seat-storage in my selections - and have I utilized the storage place completely then?
How are they all with inclines? I'll be driving in 10-30 degree hills too.
Is the Kymco (from what I'm understanding from this and other Kymco forums) that much more easier (and cheaper) to fix compared to - hold the boo's please.. :) - the Honda PCX150 or Piaggio Fly 150 or BV 250's?

I'll have a deposit ready mid August and am definitely looking forward to my new ride.  :)
Also, I haven't test-rode any of the bikes yet, hence some 'ride-able' questions.

Thank you all for answering some/all of my questions.

old geezer

• View Profile
Re: Kymco 2009 People S 250 or Super 8 150 (or maybe a 2012 Like 200i)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »
The S250 at 3777 OTD would be my pick. I have a 2010. It is a do every thing scooter. It has good power, will run 80, has good storage. I can work on a carb scooter, where as a fuel injection problem usually takes a dealer to figure out. Fuel injection is more efficient and will start easier.

I would pick the Yager over the Like. The Yeager has a larger engine and a better top speed. Also the Like is fuel injected as well.

I had a people 150. It was great around town but not quick enough for the faster roads so I traded it for the S 250 and have never looked back.

Parts for Kymco are much faster to get and also much cheaper than any thing from Piaggio.

Just my humble opinion
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:00:30 PM by old geezer »

grasshoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
Thank you for your opinions Geezer, much appreciated.

Again with your choice of trading to the S250, how does it handle in traffic/urban driving - do you have experience there? Again, I fear the bulky-ness will hinder me from getting through traffic at stop lights.

Do you know if it has wider dimensions that the Like (i know it does over the Super 8).
Also, what is your opinion on the Super 8, it has relatively large tires so it could handle minor freeway driving, no? Or is it not fast enough?

Thanks again Geezer.

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
The Super 8 is a good around town scooter. In my opinion not fast enough for any freeway. It will top out out around 60 mph. It has 14 inch wheels and handles really well.

The S 250 has 16 inch wheels and rides more like a motorcycle. It handles good around town. It is not as flickable as a Super 8 but still good in town. It is a do it all scooter. It is liquid cooled. The Like and Super 8 are air cooled so run a little hotter. I don't believe it is much wider than the Like.

The Like is only 163cc so the top speed is around 60 to 65.

The Yeager is 174 cc. It is liquid cooled and fuel injected. It will run around 70 mph.

I ride a lot in traffic but here we are not allowed to split lanes so I don't have a problem on the s 250.

grasshoppa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 07:33:42 PM »
Thanks again Geezer. This weekend I'm checking out all of the above scooters, so I'll get a good feel for it then  and their sizes etc.

I'm just hoping my 5'8 frame isn't too small on the People S250, I really want to opt for that one.. I'm slowly deterring from the Super 8, it may be easier to 'fickle' (like the word...) through traffic, but not as reliable as CA streets do have their fair share of potholes.

One last question, would you feel the S250 is quicker of the start vs. yager/like/super8?

Thanks!
Shawn

old geezer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
I am 5/8 and I can flat foot on the S 250. They are all fairly fast off the line up to around 30 or 40, thats where the 250 takes over. If you want to be really fast off the line you install lighter rollers in the variator.

Three of the scooters you are thinking about are reviewed here..

http://www.justgottascoot.com/reviews.htm
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 07:49:59 PM by old geezer »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()