Author Topic: Cuts out!  (Read 6552 times)

Forest Grump

• View Profile
Cuts out!
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »
In the shop for the engine cutting out under acceleration!  Did it last year and put a new plug and air filter on it.  They only have 800 miles on them so I took it to the dealer.

Now it's their problem.

Ronnath

• View Profile
Re: Cuts out!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »
hope they get it worked out.

so far, the only issue i've had occurs in extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus) when the engine is still warm from the last run.

starts up just fine but the idle quickly drops and the engine dies. i've been handling it by goosing the throttle a bit and it settles right in to a nice idle.

don't really consider it much of a problem. more of a little quirk that's easy to live with.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:42:04 AM »
hope they get it worked out.

so far, the only issue i've had occurs in extremely hot weather (100 degrees plus) when the engine is still warm from the last run.

starts up just fine but the idle quickly drops and the engine dies. i've been handling it by goosing the throttle a bit and it settles right in to a nice idle.

don't really consider it much of a problem. more of a little quirk that's easy to live with.

Mine does the same thing in hot weather when I'm doing climbing and it gets hot, if I slow down it will die

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 01:35:36 AM »
Update:

Fortunately the scooter was doing the same thing at the dealer.  There are no codes, electrical and everything checks out.  They have isolated the problem to the injector which may have a particle lodged in it.  They are going to replace the injector, drain and flush the fuel tank and replace the sock on the fuel pump.  Will take about a week to get the parts.  Diagnosis took quite a bit of time but all systems are working leaving the problem to be the injector.  It doesn't take much of an interruption of fuel flow to cause it to cut out.

I think I am going to change to 87 octane fuel from 91 because up here on the mountain I don't think they sell much 91.  If it doesn't knock then 87 will work just fine.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
i've been running 91 octane all along, but I doubt it is an injector problem if it does as mine does, only when it gets hot, as it runs perfectly under full acceleration the rest of the time

lets us know how it works out

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
They tried replacing the injector, didn't work.  They now have a call into Kymco for help. 

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »
They got a call back from Kymco, not much help or support.  They are looking at the ECU now.

DaveABQ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:16 AM »
now you're talking, i pulled my plug, looks like it is burning rich, which would tell me the wrong air/fuel mixture, which is done by the ECU, but we're not talking a one-off thing here, means they have the wrong programming of the ECU.  I switched to a hotter iridium plug, will see how it does

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
1. 3000 ft elevation an up requires less octane. High elevations (Denver, Cheyenne, etc.) have 85 r+m/2 octane which works fine in the 10+:1 comp ratio Yager.

2. Bet there is a bad contact in the ECU plug OR one of the sensor plugs.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Chaparral was supposed to call me yesterday they didn't.  So I called them, no new news on what is causing the problem.  I called Kymco customer service got a recording, dialed O got a person who in turn put me in contact with customer service.  She was very nice.  Their head tech was at lunch so I gave her the VIN, year etc. and when it was brought in for service.  The dealer has said they might not be able to fix it which I relayed to her plus the fact they did contact a Kymco service rep who they felt didn't help much. 
A non running non fixable scooter does not do me much good and I asked that they get involved to either fix it or replace it.  I don't know if they have regional reps or not, automobiles do, who could come to fix it.

Then I remembered California has a lemon law and yes it does cover motorcycles.  I told her I was thinking of upgrading to a 300 but right now Kymco is off the table.  Vespa and Piaggio have suitable replacements.  I need something that works, under 400 lbs. that I can put on the back of my motorhome.  My scooter has disabled plates, for a reason, I need a reliable scoot.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:38:30 PM »
Damn, sorry to hear that Forest, but at 800 miles you should be under warranty. Hope they replace it, or give you your money back.

-Wolf

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
The bike has 2800 miles.  So after 3 weeks and $500 they have decided it is the ignition coil.  They took one from a floor model and that worked.  They are ordering one now.  For those of u who are having similar issues under heat conditions this is where I would look first.  They said they talked with "the technician" and there are known issues with the coil, hmmm. 

I don't think I can recommend Kymco Scooters anymore based on my experiences.  I think I will sell this one and get a Vespa 300 from a large Vespa Dealer in LA, one who knows his product and has a history with the product.  The vehicle weight is the same.

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 03:08:54 AM »
Glad to hear that the dealer found the cause of your scoot's troubles. Let's hope they are right!
Wasn't your bike under warranty? I hope you didn't have to pay to have it fixed.

I know how frustrating it must be for you but it seems that the dealer and Kymco actually worked together and tried to fix it.
I had a Vespa GTS 250 few years ago with some engine problems. Vespa didn't care whatsoever and the dealer was more than happy to change all the parts he could think of (at my expense of course) and ended up fixing NOTHING!!
Vespas are known for their defective fuel pumps. Check ModernVespa forum ;-)

Good luck with your choice and hope you will be happy with whatever you are riding!! :-)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:12:30 AM by ludo »
Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

Forest Grump

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
People I am talking to are recommending Malcomb Smith for repairs.  They r a Kymco dealer and Vespa dealer among other bikes.  There also is a large Vespa and long time dealer in LA near the I5.  The 2010 Yager has a trade in value of $1400, ouch.

I am really surprised they couldn't diagnose an ignition coil problem immediately. 

We really are tied to the repair capacity of the dealerships aren't we? 

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:30:06 PM »

We really are tied to the repair capacity of the dealerships aren't we? 

No kidding!! ;-)
I think we all hope not to encounter major engine problem.

So, the Yager is working great now?
Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()