Author Topic: Battery or connection issues ?  (Read 2170 times)

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
Battery or connection issues ?
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »
So it all started when I took my battery out to put on my battery tender. It said it was full and whatnot but when I put the battery back in my electric starter nor my turning signals work well. (Not like they were at least) is it the battery or a connection issue?

Vivo

• View Profile
Re: Battery or connection issues ?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
Using a tester, what's the voltage reading of your battery?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
like most batterys you stell need to have high cranking amps. If the starer and lights work and the horn.
thats good but you stell need to have high cranking amps to turn the scoot over.also check your fuse.
and make sure when you hook up that tender the wires are on top of the post not on bottom.

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
Blue, the horn and electric starter don't work. And how do you check the fuse? I'm sorry I'm new to this lol and I will try to find a battery tester to use!

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »
the fuse is down by the battery. its clear glass and has a wire going threw it. if the wire is broken the fuse is no good. you can pick up a fuse at any bike shope  and also if you have a radio shake down there they might have one just take in the old with you . you can go a little bigger in size.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:46:37 AM »
you can go a little bigger in size.

No!  :o

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
 "you can go a little bigger in size."

No No NO NO NO NOPE! Do not go any larger in rating. Every 1amp bigger on the fuse allows TEN times the amount of heat/current to the component. If it is blowing there is a reason. Remember the old style fuse boxes at home that you could fit a penny into? Of course you don't. They ALL burned to the ground. Test the battery voltage with the key off, then with the key on, and finally with the scoot running (if you can get it to run)
Post up the voltages, and we can help more.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
Blue's scoot has 30 amp fuses!!!...  :o :o :o

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:16:57 AM »
It's the only way to melt the seat. I still have a twenty spot on that one.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

mcgarrysean91

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
Well I was looking at the manual and it says like remove the negative then positive, I may have did this in reverse order. Would that mess anything up?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
It could potentially damage the rectifier. Removing the ground first opens the circuit, and the electrons "dump". Removing positive first leaves a "loaded" wire, and the current can race to ground causing an overload on sensitive electrical parts. It is VERY rare that you would have any ill effect from reversing the steps but I would keep it in mind as a rule of thumb for future reference.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 01:39:42 AM »
All make me cry... sorry for stearing you wrong... I know I have been rideing my scoot for like 4 years with a bigger fuse but only like a 2 sizes bigger.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 02:52:24 AM »
All make me cry... sorry for stearing you wrong... I know I have been rideing my scoot for like 4 years with a bigger fuse but only like a 2 sizes bigger.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 03:16:43 AM »
like a 2 sizes bigger

That is equal to 100 times the raw current. 10x10 NOT 10+10. I'm upping my wager to 1,000,000.00 on the seat.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()