Author Topic: 2010 Xciting 500Ri Stalling  (Read 4226 times)

frankster

• View Profile
2010 Xciting 500Ri Stalling
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »
 >:(My 2010 500Ri stalls without warning. It's happened numerous times. The first dealer i took it to gave up and said they could not find the problem. I picked it up and it stalled on the way home. After it stalled in rush traffic on the interstate i took it to another dealer to see if they could find the problem.

I have run with the gas cap open, drilled the gasket in the cap, run ethanol free gas, tried to never let the tank go below half full (based on mileage - not the gas gauge) cooled the engine with a garden hose, etc. When it starts the engine won't do more than idle, has no power, and will not take throttle.  I know i'm not the only one.

I have a bike that's not safe to ride, can't sell, and still making payments.  If anyone has a similar condition, I'd like to hear from you.  I need to point the dealer in the correct direction if they can't find the problem. This is dangerous and scary. I'm lucky to be alive at this point.

ce

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Xciting 500Ri Stalling
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
Sounds like you're due for a valve adjustment. The schedule calls for adjustment at 3000 7000 and 11000 miles, and what is happening is the exhaust valve has closed up and isn't allowing the engine to breathe properly.

Set the intake and the exhaust valves to .004 inch gap and it should solve the problem.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Syl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »
Weeks ago, my 2012 stalled in traffic and was the only time that happened. Had less than 1,000 miles on it and when coming up to the traffic light, a loud pop like a balloon busting. Lucky I was on a small grade to the light and drifted to the corner and around. Sat there a few minutes shocked as to what happened and wondered if something serious just happened. It started up ok after trying the first time failed but turned the throttle a bit the next time and kicked over right away. Didn't bother any further and now having aprrox. 1800 miles, it hasn't happened again. I use 93 octane only on each fill. What bothers me more is that growl when pulling out at times.

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
I would forward this to the Kymco importer where you live. They don't want to be sued. It sounds like an ignition problem to me? When cars and bikes had points rotors and condensors under the distributor cap, instead of electronic ignitions as they have now. If the condensor was bad, the car/bike would start but had no more power than enough to keep it running. When you tryed to make the bike move, the engine died. Sounds like a field cercuit is breaking down. They need to test the ignition modual/coil etc. If the fuel pump/injector is ok, then it has to be ignition. If they have another X500 at the dealer, they may have to start exchanging moduals and such untill it is cured. It could be as simple as a bad ground, loose wire/conection and such. Good luck. :'( :-*

frankster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
The first dealer I took it to first said that it needed a valve adjustment and then when they gave it back without doing the adjustment they said they were wrong and the bike wasn't due for another 6,000 miles. All they did was ride it a little and adjust the idle and charge me $147.  The bike stalled on the way home in rush hour traffic.  Took it back with the engine messed up and they didn't even look at it. Just wheeled it in and parked it. Over the next week they claimed they couldn't get it to fail. They finally ended up giving me back my money (less $8 for the gas they had to buy) and sent me on my way. I have it at another dealer suggested by KYMCO in South Carolina and am waiting to hear from them.  So far they have had it for almost a week. The bike runs great until it stalls. I believe it is a fuel pump or an ignition problem.  This has been going on for nearly 2 months and is still not resolved. I am buying a Harley Sportster and will sell this 500ri as soon as the problem is resolved.  The bike is not safe to ride. I don't want to get run over in traffic. I want it working right so someone else doesn't get hurt.   

jrd4849

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 02:34:12 PM »
Are you the original owner? If so perhaps a lemon law in your state may apply in your situation.
Jim. 2009 Xciting500Ri

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
When it stalls, can you start it right back up?  Do the lights or display blink or anything?  Does it do it when idlling, accelerating, slowing?  Does it do it after hitting a bump, only when cold, only when warm?

Other than a clogged gas tank vent - common stall reasons on any bike are:

1)  A bad connection on the handlebar kill switch.  If it sits outside the contacts could be bad.  Check the wires to make sure they are connected securely and not in a bind anywhere, open the switch at the handlebar and spray it with contact cleaner.

2)  The sidestand kill switch.  Make sure it is mounted securely.  With the bike on the centerstand move the sidestand and make sure that the switch isn't too sensitive (wiggling the sidestand shouldn't trigger it).  Spray the switch with electrical cleaner.

3)  The tipover switch.  These little buggers are designed to kill the engine if you fall over - but they can be bad or loose - and kill the engine while riding.

4)  Clogged fuel filter - check or replace it (they are cheap).  I like to use clear fuel filters so I can see if there is something in it, or if the filter has become discolored. 

What are you doing when it stalls, is it when warm or cold?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

frankster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:43:35 PM »
The bike stalls while i am riding. Usually hot here in Tennessee.  This the second bike. Kymco gave me a new bike under warranty because the first one had an engine that came apart.  Two dealers and the techs in SC could not get it to run.  Kymco will not ship a replacement motor so they gave me a new bike after they had been trying for 7 months to repair it. It had under 5000 miles on it when it quit running. The problem is documented with Kymco.  I'm not asking for them to warranty the fix. I just want the bike to run reliably. It ran fine until this summer. 

I have lubed the kick stand. The lights work, there is no flashing check engine light, the bike always starts, it just stalls when I'm riding. Have tried running with the gas cap open.  I am running ethanol free 93 octane premium gas. It acts like a vapor lock but that's not supposed to happen on fuel injected bikes. Strange to me that it happens usually within 15 to 30 minutes most everytime I ride but the dealer can't find it.

Can you say snake bit?

sjb9989

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »
Sorry to come late the party. This happened to me last summer...RUSH hour traffic, stalled 3 times...called local dealer...no help! Went to THIS forum site...asked for help...found to be bad gas. i put "STA-Bil" gas treatment after adding fresh fuel. it's been fine ever since. I add about 2oz. per fill-up. has added to my MPG.

I want to give a shout out to RED EMBER cycles in Daytona, Fl. excellent customer service...alot better than my local dealer in Orlando, Fl.
Never look back, because someone my pass you.
          Proud owner 2009 Xciting 500r

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
Does it do it when idlling, accelerating, slowing - or a combination? 

You said it does it within 15 or 30 minutes - does it ever do it before 15 minutes?

You had another X500 with an "engine that came apart" with under 5000 miles - can you elaborate?

You "cooled the engine with a garden hose" - How did you do that?

You drilled the gas cap gasket - what else have you done?  Are you adding any accessories like lights or horns?
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

frankster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
I have the bike back now. The second dealer rode it for over 100 miles and couldn't get it to fail.  I rode it home with no problem. It was 85°.  I guess it will be a winter bike.  Bought another bike to ride.  Thanks for every ones suggestions.  Tried most of them and still don't have a solution other than to ride the bike in cool weather. 

BigOrange

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
I live in super ethanol land.  I put 1 to 2 oz. of SeaFoam on every fill up.  Where is the bike? Super humid or mountainous.  Does the fuel air mixture need to be adjusted due to climate? I am in a hot arid desert 2500-9000 feet above sea level. I would go with ignition or do you have any painful exhaust notes as it stalls?
I wish I could ride more and drive less!
2009 Xciting 500i White!
2007 Xciting 250 Orange!

CaMoTe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »
or the spark plug?  try using a cold plug if its usually warm in your area maybe?

jerry2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:42:43 PM »
Did you ever get the valve adjustment?  The only bike that ever did that with me was a valve adjustment problem.  After adjusting it has started and run perfectly.

Scumeda3

• I drive a 2009 Xciting Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:24 AM »

4)  Clogged fuel filter - check or replace it (they are cheap).  I like to use clear fuel filters so I can see if there is something in it, or if the filter has become discolored. 

Hi JustWantToRide,

You mentioned a clogged fuel filter.  I own an '09 Xciting 500 and cannot locate the fuel filter.  Can you shed some light for me as to the location of the filter?  Any input is appreciated.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()