Author Topic: What are you getting for gas mileage?  (Read 17268 times)

Nossy

• View Profile
Re: What are you getting for gas mileage?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 02:01:54 AM »
No disrepect Axy, but I tend to think jwisen is right.  It seems most people in this section are getting in the 60s and 70s with their X 250s and I'm in the 40s.  With my size and driving style/area I expect there to be some mileage loss, but not 30-50%.  I spoke to the local Kymco dealer's tech, and he seemed to have other things on his mind.  He simply said, "Hmm" and then walked away.  I need to take the bike in for state inspection this week, so I'll ask the guy who inspects it if he has any ideas.  He's a motorcycle tech, but certainly a lot of this info will crossover.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 07:21:17 AM »
No disrepect Axy, but I tend to think jwisen is right.  It seems most people in this section are getting in the 60s and 70s with their X 250s and I'm in the 40s.  With my size and driving style/area I expect there to be some mileage loss, but not 30-50%.  I spoke to the local Kymco dealer's tech, and he seemed to have other things on his mind.  He simply said, "Hmm" and then walked away.  I need to take the bike in for state inspection this week, so I'll ask the guy who inspects it if he has any ideas.  He's a motorcycle tech, but certainly a lot of this info will crossover.

X250 has the same engine and CVT as my People 250S and 20 lbs heavier and it is possible to do 60 or 70 mpg only if you drive at a constant speed of ~50 mph without a passenger.

Mileage is a sensitive subject. I have often discussed it with my friends and now I keep away from such discussions. Most people claim consumption "roughly calculating". "I went from Mike to John, it is AROUND 130 kms, then I filled up AROUND 5 liters, so the consumption MUST BE AROUND...". Trust me, a lot of people do not take notice of exact tacho number when filling up first and second time and do not fill up exactly to the top of the gas tank.

Furthermore, the last such case a colleague of mine who has Chinese 125cc 4stroke scooter that allegedly consumed close to 10 l/100 km or 23 mpg. After dismissing a lot of (mechanical) things, chaning carb etc. the problem was in the only possible thing that was not changed - tacho. It was off by 50 %, coupled with inaccurate reading of the tank fill ups equals off scale calculation. In fact, the scooter`s real consumption was 3x lower.

The best gas mileage I have seen on People 250 S was 3,8 l/100 km or 62 mpg under super-duper-ideal conditions. I think the theoretical low of consumption must be there because this is already the consumption "area" of 50 cc 2 stroke or 125 cc 4 stroke scooters.

I am looking now, 70 mpg is 3.3 l/100 km - I think this scooter uses that much fuel idling per hour.

p.s. I am looking now at one of the previous posts, people are doing 75 mpg with Xciting 250i. I have seen 75 mpg with two scooters in my life: Piaggio NRG 50 and Agility 125, driven very carefully. I guess it would be possible with 250 cc scooter that almost does not apply the throttle and weighs maybe 100 lbs.

I wrote a report this weekend - I went for a trip with my gf (420 lbs of total passenger weight) that included a lot of highway driving at top speed of indicated 81-87 mph with gusts of frontal wind. The consumption was 5.3 l/100 km or 44 mpg - the worst consumption I have seen on my P250S.

The average I do driving from suburbs to the city and back daily is constant and consistent 56 mpg from day one (it has 5800 kms on it now).

Now, this became a lengthy discussion... hope others will share their input and numbers too...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:27:21 AM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
..2008 Agility 50...mileage varies from tank to tank, depending on where I go, wind speed and direction, etc...have "calculated" anywhere between 65 and 85 mpg...

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 06:23:56 PM »
..2008 Agility 50...mileage varies from tank to tank, depending on where I go, wind speed and direction, etc...have "calculated" anywhere between 65 and 85 mpg...

peace

Sounds "normal" for 4stroke 50 cc - they consume gas like Zippos. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
...yeah, I didn't buy it for the mileage...I have a Subaru Justy that gets 50 mpg...

..just no drivers license..lol..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 08:34:43 PM »
I go to the local gas statoin once a week to have them take o few quarts of gas out! When will it end!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

momontheloose

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 01:39:16 AM »
Thanks for making me laugh Zombie!
 ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 05:46:13 AM »
you're welcome!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

garumn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
 ;)
The speedo certainly is optimistic (the odometer as well, but less-so) - this last Friday, I had the scoot on a 161 mile ride (odometer trip reading), all 65 mph freeway through and around Phoenix.  Trying my best, I kept the speedo at between 70 and 75 all around (excluding surface streets, of course).  At a 65 mph reading on my GPS, the speedo read 61 mph.  At 70 mph, the GPS read 64 mph, and at 75 mph, the GPS read 69 mph.  After all that, my fuel efficiency rated as follows (after filling the tank in the morning the exact same way to the exact same level I do every time I fill it and refilling upon returning the exact same way to acquire consistent data):

154.9 miles travelled via Mapquest
/ 2.11 gallons used during travel

= 73.41 mpg

What a wonderful machine this is!!

Oh, by the way, I Mapquested mileage, as my GPS does not have trip mileage, and it appears the Odometer is very close to actual - the Mapquested mileage was 154.9.
Aaron
2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri

momontheloose

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 11:08:27 PM »
Excellent Post garumn. It just rocks to get that kind of gas mileage. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 400 or 650 Burgman so I can bring a passenger for longer trips. I just have a hard time justifying a purchase of something with 45 - 55 mpg when I'm getting such great mileage.

Not that I'm cheap....just economical!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
;)
The speedo certainly is optimistic (the odometer as well, but less-so)

Considering that both instruments pick up signal from the same source (mechanical or electromagnetic in newer scooters), and assuming that frictional/mechanical error of gauges themselves is the same, don`t you think that the "carry over" of error is pretty much the same for both instruments?

If speedo is 10 % optimistic, more ore less, odo will be be 10 % optimistic too.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

garumn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Considering that both instruments pick up signal from the same source (mechanical or electromagnetic in newer scooters), and assuming that frictional/mechanical error of gauges themselves is the same, don`t you think that the "carry over" of error is pretty much the same for both instruments?

If speedo is 10 % optimistic, more ore less, odo will be be 10 % optimistic too.

Outstanding, sir.  Apparently my numbers are being brought into question.  Understand them or not - it does not matter to me.  "What I think" is irrevelant considering the data supplied from two different sources; the scooter itself and an accompanying GPS unit to compare against.
Aaron
2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri

garumn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
Excellent Post garumn. It just rocks to get that kind of gas mileage. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 400 or 650 Burgman so I can bring a passenger for longer trips. I just have a hard time justifying a purchase of something with 45 - 55 mpg when I'm getting such great mileage.

Not that I'm cheap....just economical!

Thanks, Momma!

I can't blame you on wanting a bigger scoot for longer trips - I am seriously considering upgrading to the x500.  I doubt I will pull the trigger on that one, though (as you say, the 250 is simply WAAAAAAY too economical and FUN)...  ;)

Now to actually get some luggage for the thing... 
Aaron
2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri

momontheloose

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 03:11:01 AM »
This week I put on mounts for my GPS and also my IPOD Touch. They are from RAM mounts and have a plate that screws into the brake reservoir. They are great and the reason I'm mentioning this at all is because now I can see my GPS while I'm driving and so I thought I'd add my two cents about the odometer and speedometer.

All the way up to  50 mph the speedometer is dead on accurate. At 55 mph the GPS says 54 and at 60 mph the GPS says 58. I haven't had the opportunity to go faster than that so far and I'm not planning on going over 70 because I am a mom you know!

The odometer really surprised me though. It was 1/2 a mile off for every 20 miles.. so.. when my odometer said 20 miles my GPS said 19.5. I think that is really quite a lot. I just rolled over 3,000 miles on my bike this weekend and need to get it into the shop for the 3,000 maintenance check.

Went on a great group ride with 60 or so various bikes along the St. Croix River in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Some of the fall colors were starting to pop out. I was the only lonely scooter but garnered much attention. Lots of questions from goldwing and harley riders who were surprised I could keep up with them.

garumn

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 12:33:59 AM »
 ;D

Fantastic, Momma!!

I love keeping up with the Big Boys, too, and can easily do so even at 75!!  Down here in the southwest, we do not get the opportunity to see much fall color (unless you are in the higher country say, Flagstaff, AZ), and I definitely miss it!  I miss the rain, too, for that matter!  Oh, by the way - just filled the tank this morning - 161.3 miles at 2.051 gallons...  I will leave it up to others to do my math for me!  ;)

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE this machine???
Aaron
2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()