Author Topic: Solenoid problems  (Read 2125 times)

Coachz

• View Profile
Solenoid problems
« on: August 05, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
My scooter won't start again.  The battery is new and charged but I'm only getting 10 v on the small connector that drives the solenoid.  Is that enough?  I'm guessing it is and the solenoid is bad.  Yes ?

tuffguy

• View Profile
Re: Solenoid problems
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
I need more information. Do you measure 12.6v at the battery?  If you connect 12.6v at the small red-yellow wire solenoid connection will the starter turn over then? Where are you getting "measuring" your minus from?

ues61

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
You need to do the following readings:

Ground = directly connected to battery's -ve terminal
+Lead = the +ve lead from your multimeter

1.  Resting voltage: ignition off, key's in the OFF position (or out), +Lead on battery's +ve terminal.

2.  Battery drain: Same as #1, but key's in the ON position.

3a.  Same as #2, ignition key is in the ON position; But, the +Lead is on the solenoid's "HOT" terminal --- this is directly connected to the battery's +ve terminal.  It should be obvious, since it's the only terminal that will have a voltage reading.  ie. the solenoid only has two terminals, if one shows no voltage reading, then the other terminal is the "HOT" one.

3b.  Same as #3a, ignition key is in the ON position; But the +Lead is on the solenoid's NON-"HOT" terminal.

4.  Same as #3b, igntion key is in the ON position; +Lead is on the solenoid's NON-"HOT" terminal.  And, activate the Starter Button.

-----------------------

#1, Depending on your battery, and its condition should, generally be > 12.5V.  If not, your battery is suspect.

#2, If this reading is significantly different than #1, say a difference of > 1.0V, then there's a "drain" or short in the system.  Or, your battery is no longer able to sustain a load, and the reading from #1 is simply a surface charge.

#3a, Should be the same as #2.  If not, there's a problem with the wiring b/n the solenoid and the battery.

#3b, Should be 0.0v.  If not, the solenoid is bad.

#4, Should be close to reading from #2.  If not, the solenoid is bad.

If you've checked all of the above, and the starter still won't engage.  It's the wiring to the starter, or the starter itself.

Hope this helps.

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 03:06:54 PM »
Thanks, i got the $13 solonoid off ebay and it worked great.  I'm zooming reliably again !  thanks guys for all the help too !

Coachz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:33 AM »
still rock solid reliable

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()