Author Topic: On average how often do you all normally replace your rollers?  (Read 10596 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: On average how often do you all normally replace your rollers?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 03:31:45 AM »
I use sliders in my daily kick.  They've been in there for some 9000 kms, no function harming wear is present.  I drive a People 50 during the day, and a evil addicting Super 9 on occasion.  I must have tried 50 different combinations of setups (torque driver, springs, clutches, belts, rollers, and even variators) trying to get the best setup.  In the end, the Dr. Pulley sliders rock for me.

On my race bike, I use regular rollers.  If there are Dr. Pulley sliders below 3.5 grams, please tell me. My current suppliers don't have them.  I guess I could send a note to unionmaterial, but you know... that takes less time than it took to compose this message, so it officially makes too much damned sense to correspond directly with the manufacturer.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Im going to order some sliders this week then i think and give them a go will prob order 6g sliders cos i know i can run on both 5.1g and 5.5g rollers with similair performance if i do a tweaks.

Will prob order a set of 5.3g Rollers too, sure the 5.1's i put in about May were Malossi's, i ordered them from SIP so i knkw they were'nt fake ass ones but yesterday i saw they were going flat  :-\

I also think i'll drill out the OEM ones i have to around a gramme lighter on the drill press or try swap out the centres for 5.5g ones off an old set of flat rollers, that idea came to me in a vision last night  :D Dont know why i never thought of it before  :-\ Like Word says those OEM ones seem indestructable.

Thanks for the input  ;)
Chaos is my co-pilot.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »
In OEM type machines I have always said to change rollers/ belt at one year intervalls. Malossi is the BEST roller I have used. They barely wear even after a full year of every day riding. CHEAP ROLLERS SUCK MONKEY WIND! They will flatten in a few weeks. I currently have Jasil (top racing) rollers, and after a few hundred miles they have no sign of wear.

Why annual change instead of according to mileage?
As I said, no problem with dirt cheap rollers here in any of my scoots that are otherwise OEM.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Annual change is from marine habits. If you set a date for maintenance it is easier than tracking miles on all the different parts. I have lots of usable spares this way too. If the parts are still serviceable all the better. At least you will KNOW what is in there.
This part is all guess work for me put I THINK Malossi rollers are a Urethane compound. Most of the cheap ones are Nylon/graphite compounds. I've read that the Yamaha's use hardened steel.?.?.?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
..i ride 12,000 miles a year..    ;D

...i couldnt got that long....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
Annual change is from marine habits. I

Well, I ride my scooter now that I have a car for 5000 kms annually. Belt is after 15000 kms almost as good as new, so are roller weights.
The same for Agility, my gf does 8000 kms/year.
Doing yearly changes would be overkill. For my People, belt/rollers are changed every 3 years (and they are still good), every two for Agility.
I hope Kymco drivers are not retarded, so that they cannot keep a track of changed spare parts. I have a simple Excel sheet with mileage and changed parts.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:47 PM »
..yeah, a lot depends on riding styles as well..

..for instance, my s9 turns regularly, 8-10,000 rpms...

..that tends to wear out cvt bits much more often than say, an agility 125 turning 8000 max...

..plus, i punish my cvt bits...and that's why cheapo parts would likely leave me setting by the roadside...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:19:06 PM by wordslinger »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »
..for instance, i found this during one of my frequent..umm..inspections...

..cracked drive face...

clik pic
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:24:13 PM by wordslinger »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
Your belt may look fine Axy but have you ever measured it with a micrometer? Maybe it IS fine but like Word says, a lot has to do with riding style, terrain and rpm's generated thro the CVT. When i got my A50 it was still restricted and came from a lady owner who used it for a short town commute to work and back, so it had never been raced or driven hard or over 30mph. Belt and rollers were original, i stl have both items in my garage as emergency spares. The belt looked fine but a few months after i derestricted it and began tuning it  i wanted to fit all new parts in there so went to my dealer to ask about ordering in a belt, his reply was "You dont need a belt, unless its snapped it will last forever. They rarely or never need changed". I knew very little then about cvt's or scoots in general so believed him at the time, then i joined this forum.

I eventually bought a micrometer just to check the belt was still good and found it was down to 16.5mm wide so i DID replace it. Rollers were still good but i wanted lighter ones, thats the only reason i swapped them out, otherwise i may still be using the originals even now.

Had i left it restricted and stock then i guess the belt may have still been good too. Stiffer torque springs, lighter rollers, higher rpm cdi's & race variators all help to raise rpm's and stress etc so in turn will wear down components a lot quicker.

Im sure you know all this anyway, only pointing it out for others who may not.

On the service intervals i always change my engine oil every 2000km +/- 100km or so, and do my gear oil every 2nd oil change. Whenever im doing my oils i always check the cvt too and give it all a clean out if nothing else needs doing in there, just gives me peace of mind if nothing else. Just did my oils today at 22,000 km's, easy to remember if you do it at 2000 km intervals. If i left it as yeay it wouldve packed in thousands of km's ago but i know the previous owner DID only have it done yearly, she told me and also it was in the Kymco service book, stamped by the dealer who did it, but then she did only 6500km or so in 3 yrs, i did about 10,00-12,000 in my 1st year of owning it.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
..you got your sh** together steroido!!!

S.T.E.R.O.I.D.O.

;D

..doing ALL the right things!!!..

8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:52:02 PM by wordslinger »

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »
..doing ALL the right things!!!..

Well if were talking scooters yes. Otherwise................probably not  :D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:20 AM »
I've been doing fluids about every six weeks to stay on top of any new issues. Like Axy said yearly is overkill for alot of parts but you do get spares that way. Fluids should be done BEFORE storing for the "off season" If an engine sits w/ used fluids bad things happen to everything they touch. But the point is like Steroido said is to get a routine, and stick to it. Ignoring maintenance makes those scoots that you find grown over beside the tool shed..
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »
Your belt may look fine Axy but have you ever measured it with a micrometer?

Im sure you know all this anyway, only pointing it out for others who may not.

;)

Yes, I do, they are always within specs but I replace them anyway (because the variator casing is open, so to use the opportunity).
After 15.000 kms rollers have small flat spots that are not noticeable while driving.
However, as I said, my experience with 50 cc 2 stroke scooters is different and rollers need to be replaced roughly twice more often than with 4stroke scooters.

I hope you read that Kymco owners with 500 cc scoots report that belt has to be replaced after 25-30.000 kms. They are very durable.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
BEFORE storing for the "off season

Whats the "off season"?  :D

Must be the couple of weeks in the year when i cant ride for snow. Not because it dangerous, just because i cant get the garage door open  ;D
Chaos is my co-pilot.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 08:58:01 PM »
Well you are hard core. Most of us 50cc guys ride year round. That's funny to think of. Tiny scoots all over the world riding in snow, sleet, ice, rain, mud, while the Tooidies put their precious machines inside under a comforter. I'd LOVE to tear into a 500 with a grinder, and some fiberglass. Maybe make a bar stool racer out of one.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()